Help! I can?t decide what to build

Following a hectic couple of months working long hours 7 days a week setting up my business I have been ordered by my 13 year old daughter that I need to take some time off, she told me in no uncertain terms that I should find something else to do to relax, even if it is only for a couple of hours a week.

So I have decided to take her advise and set aside a few hours a week just for me. Hummm what should I do? At the ripe old age of 54 going back to playing rugby or kickboxing are out of the question. The passion is still there for these but sadly my body has flatly refused to take part and is currently carrying out an aches and pains protest and is doing its very best to reminding me of every injury I have ever had lol. This has left me with no other option but to design and build a model just for me.

Though my daughter was less than happy with this decision, saying the idea was for me to spend time away from the business. However after I explained to her that this really was the best way for me to relax, she agreed to let me do it on one condition (yes I know I am supposed to be the adult here) but bless her she is only trying to look out for her dad.

The condition is that whatever model I build, I am not allowed to add it to my range of kits, she has even made me put this agreement down in writing.

So with our family contract signed, I set about the task of sifting through my collections of three view drawing and chose the Cessna bird dog and thought I would do something around 90” wingspan. Which I started designing on Friday,

however as I was working on the design I started imagining (as you do) the warm summer evenings flying the bird dog nice and slow, it was at this point my mind kept drifting back to the Denis Bryant Storch I build many years ago and how nicely it flew with its slats and flaps, you could almost get it to hover, I loved that model.

This is where I need help, what do should I do. Build something I have never done before the bird dog or build something I know I will enjoy spend many hours building and flying nice and slow (which is just my style).

There was a thread on the forum a short while ago “what do you hate doing on your aircraft” on which is said, covering was the thing I hated most, I have now changed my mind, deciding which aircraft to build is now the thing I hate most hahaha.

Richie

Advert

Braddock and Chris, I only have a couple of hours a week to spend on myself so sadly doing both is defiantly out of the question. It has to be one or the other.

Hummm

bird dog relatively simple design, I could even get away with box fuslarge with foam upper and lower deckings and balsa skinned foam wings like my Cessna 152 design.

Storch, now that’s a completely different beast, no cheating with this one it would have to be an all built up little replica.

My problem is that I have two heads one head is my kit manufacturer head which is telling me to make it easy to build and only detail the bits you can see. But my other head, the scale modeller one is telling me to do a proper job.

Richie

Posted by Tony Bennett on 28/04/2014 14:39:04:

hmmmm

hard decision to make sir.

i would go for the storch.

or an Auster.

Edited By Tony Bennett on 28/04/2014 14:39:30

Auster?

We were involved with a theatrical event last year that involved people's reminiscences.

One chap had been in the Korean War, and he was remembering the spotter aircraft. The British used the Auster, and the Americans the Bird Dog. He remembered that the Bird Dogs kept being shot down, while the Austers were not. It seems that the Chinese supplied anti-aircraft gun sights could not be set for an aircraft flying as slowly as the Auster.

Plummet

BIRD DOG for me.......been reading lots about the O1 Bird Dog in the Vietnam War as FAC (Forward Air Controllers) and I'd love to see a build blog on one wink Also the Ravens flew them in Laos with the CIA. Such a history rich (no pun) aircraft IMHO.

ravensa.jpg

sam_6337_zps8b5eb553.jpg

Tony

Edited By Tony F on 28/04/2014 17:29:09

Oh dear, this thread was supposed to help me decide between designing a model of the Storch or the Bird dog but all I have succeeded in doing is to add the Auster to the mix, thanks for that, now I can’t even flip a coin to help me decide indecision

Peter, which ever one I choose it will not be a quick build because it’s the building side of aero modelling I enjoy most of all, to me flying is little more than a pleasant by-product of our hobby, at the moment I have three models in my workshop that are finished and ready to fly so I’m in no real rush.smiley

Richie (Dazed & confused)

Richie flip that coin and get on with it matey whichever way you go it will be a joy to fly and a work of art and a build blog on here would give us all an insight into that master builders brain of yours

So heads the bird dog and tails the storch eh ????

Edited By Phil Winks on 28/04/2014 20:28:25

Well Tony I didn’t want to point the finger but yes it is your fault sir, but being spoilt for choice isn’t really a bad thing is it.

Thanks for that Phil but describing me as a master builder is pushing it a bit, I am simply an old school modeller that will never tire of the exhilaration you get from seeing something you have spent many hours building lift off the ground for the fist time.

Well that’s me done for the night, it’s been pleasant chatting on here in-between doing my accounts, but its back into my workshop tomorrow producing kits.

Take care gentlemen

Richie

Is there anything is the aero modellers hand book that says I can’t have a threesome? Because I just can’t choose.

Would anyone think I was just being greedy if I decided to build all three? I could build Tony’s Auster and design the Bird dog and Storch whilst the glue is drying, that would solve the problem of trying to find a three sided coin.

Thanks gentlemen, that my spare time fully booked for the next yearcrook

Richie

bird dog 3.jpg

storch 3.jpg

Is there anything is the aero modellers hand book that says I can’t have a threesome? Because I just can’t choose.

Would anyone think I was just being greedy if I decided to build all three? I could build Tony’s Auster and design the Bird dog and Storch whilst the glue is drying, that would solve the problem of trying to find a three sided coin.

Thanks gentlemen, that my spare time fully booked for the next yearcrook

Richie

bird dog 3.jpg

storch 3.jpg