What's flying over your house

David Pearce 4

Posted by Pat (rActive) Harbord on 08/06/2015 08:38:15:

I saw an aircraft I had completely forgotten about but instantly recognised at around 4pm on Sunday over Buckingham heading South - an Edgley Optica, to far away to see the index. Don't think I've seen one since the early 80's

There was an Optica on the attendees list for the LAA show at Shuttleworth on Sunday, I suspect that was the one you spotted.

Yesterday we were overflown by the Optica at 10:30 then again at 4pm travelling the other direction. We are always overflown by light aircraft as we live near Cranfield airfield but the distinctive noise made me pause and take note.

It didn't half look weird!

It was a difficult thing to identify as it looked very odd but after trawling through the "twin tailboom aircraft" google pages I realised it was an Edgley EA-7 Optica. **LINK**  I have never seen one before.

It may well ave been the same aircraft as it was heading towards Buckingham when I saw it around 4pm.

I might have to look at one of these as a future model!

Edited By John F on 08/06/2015 13:59:50

A Chinook has just flown over following the standard approach to runway 23R at Manchester, threshold is about 2 miles away. Makes a change from the normal commuter and holiday types expected at this time of the afternoon.

What's flying over my house ... ... every aircraft departing from Manchester today!

The wind is from the North East today so everything is departing from runway 05L, I live about 2 miles from the runway the first turning point for departures is directly over our house so I get to see the underside of every departing aircraft. It's interesting to see the different heights they achieve at this distance. They do tend to stop conversation though ....

Posted by avtur on 08/06/2015 17:25:43:

A Chinook has just flown over following the standard approach to runway 23R at Manchester, threshold is about 2 miles away. Makes a change from the normal commuter and holiday types expected at this time of the afternoon.

Local news reported today that the Chinook had diverted into Manchester with a technical problem, after an overnight session with magic spanners it departed this morning.

Yesterday a glider but by the time I got my camera ready it had turned back from it's flight path back to Kenley aerodrome. I did take a picture but the glider appears as a mere speck to the left of a chimney pot on the house next door..

As for Hunter G-HUNT, was it the plane that crashed at Dunsfold some years ago?

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 09/06/2015 19:14:09

Going to the Download Festival at Donnington next weekend, the over flies of the main stage are sometimes are spectacular against a setting sun. Always wondered what it's like looking out of the aircraft onto the arena, crowds, the light and lasers etc, but then again I'd rather be down there I reckon. Rock on....

Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 09/06/2015 19:13:02:

As for Hunter G-HUNT, was it the plane that crashed at Dunsfold some years ago?

Well according to G-INFO, the CAA registration website, it is still registered but the last entries go no further than the mid '80's.

Posted by John Milne on 08/06/2015 23:48:04:

Not quick enough to get a picture but watched one of the B2 Stealth bombers fly over Devon tonight travelling west to east around J27 M25 around 20.00. Clubmate saw one towards North Devon at the weekend.

I was at the RIAT at Fairford in July 2002 when a B-2 did a single pass down the runway, having flown non-stop from Whiteman AFB, near Kansas, USA.

Following the "display", the aircraft carried on, non-stop, back to Whiteman. I never have worked out why it was such a short display as part of a 20 hour round flight! I was there on the Sunday, the previous day a different B2 had done the same.

Bit behind but, Country Boy, I used to live in Sleaford and really did get sick of seeing the Red Arrows practicing overhead. The Last of the Phantoms at Coningsby were always cool though. And there used to be loads of Provosts from both Cranwell and Barkston. For aviation it was awesome.