What's flying over your house

David Pearce 4

Mike - agreed on the Spitfire. Whilst they're not exactly uncommon over here we don't usually get two within the space of a few minutes!

Sadly I wasn't flying this afternoon - I think everybody else agreed with your assessment of the wind. It was certainly breezy, but more-or-less straight down the strip, so I'd have flown if anybody else had turned up. But at least I got to see (and hear) the Spitfire. thumbs up Have a good day on Wednesday - the forecast looks ok at the moment!

Advert

Frustratingly something interesting flew low and fast over the house yesterday.

What got me moving was the engine was obviously not your run of the mill GA unit. It almost sounded like a merlin - but by the time I could get out of my office to look at it it was nearly gone.

What made it worse was I did not have my glasses with me so it I could not see it clearly enough to identify it, other than it wasn't a Spit, and it looked as if it had tip tanks.

The only thing that comes to mind is a Marchetti so cursing now that I did not pick up my specs - and that my office faces the wrong direction!

Four Tornadoes in formation, going into Marham I should think, after a couple of circuits, during which they changed formation several times.

But lately a LOT of heavy stuff late at night, a lot of Apaches and other military helicopters at all times of the day and night, as well as the usual Thursday Typhoon dog fight practice.

I reckon summat's going on somewhere! Or soon.

MrTin

Typically, lots of small 2 engine commercial airliners, lots of commercial prop driven stuff, usual Cessna/Piper stuff, a very noisy yellow police helicopter, couple of R22/44's, at least 2 Dauphin helis, the odd microlight and an autogyro.

Wednesday morning, three chinooks flew over at abou 6:00 a.m. - I bet they woke loads of people up as they were pretty low and loud !

Where I fly (and family ride horses) there are quite a few other Helis incl SAR and once an N9 landed pretty close.

Occasionally, some other interesting stuff flies over on way to/from airshows incl Dakota, Hurricane, Tornado, Spitfire, Harrier, Typhoon (not beautiful prop jobby!), Herky-Bird, Galaxy.

GG

.........................Posted by Peter Miller on 31/07/2015 11:27:36:

Yesterday heard an unusal noise. Pretty certain that it was Twin Otter going very fast. Can't find anything similar but the nose looked a little shorter than the pictures.

............................................................................................................................

hello peter - it may have been a 'bronco' ...there was one up this end of the patch last week end displaying at a couple of full size show's.

ken Anderson...ne...1........ full size dept.

Posted by ken anderson. on 31/07/2015 16:42:06:
.........................Posted by Peter Miller on 31/07/2015 11:27:36:

Yesterday heard an unusal noise. Pretty certain that it was Twin Otter going very fast. Can't find anything similar but the nose looked a little shorter than the pictures.

............................................................................................................................

hello peter - it may have been a 'bronco' ...there was one up this end of the patch last week end displaying at a couple of full size show's.

ken Anderson...ne...1........ full size dept.

The only Bronco that I know off has twin booms. Don't think that there are any of them around

Wikipedia reckons there are 2 of them at Duxford, both being the OV-10B variant, a target-towing model for Germany.

• G-BZGK is stated to be ex-German Air Force and to have crashed at Cotswold Airport in July 2012. The CAA G-INFO site gives its status as "De-registered", reason, "Permanently withdrawn from use"
  • G-BZGL is not mentioned in Wikipedia, but was present when I visited Duxford in October 2012. Clearly also ex-German Air Force, it looked to be in the middle of restoration at that time. See pics below. G-INFO lists its status as "Registered" and mentions a CAA Permit Issue application received on 21/05/2015, with an expected processing date of 22/06/2015 - so is presumably currently airworthy and potentially flying by now.

img_1071.jpg

img_1068.jpg

Edited By John Privett on 01/08/2015 00:41:24

Posted by John Privett on 01/08/2015 00:40:23:
  • G-BZGL is not mentioned in Wikipedia, but was present when I visited Duxford in October 2012. Clearly also ex-German Air Force, it looked to be in the middle of restoration at that time. See pics below. G-INFO lists its status as "Registered" and mentions a CAA Permit Issue application received on 21/05/2015, with an expected processing date of 22/06/2015 - so is presumably currently airworthy and potentially flying by now.

The website Ken linked to above says this about G-BZGL;

Bronco “99+26”, civil registered as G-BZGL, arrived at Duxford, UK on September 13, 2001 after the ferry flight from its former home at the technical school of Fassberg, Germany. After finishing the work on “99+32” in 2007, the restoration works on “99+26” commenced. Significant work on the airframe and landing gear has been done, and the further restoration back to flying conditions is still in process.

The original German “99+26” markings are clearly visible behind the current G-BZGL registration.

img_1069.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well not exactly over my house but yesterday I got stuck in the traffic jam caused by the propane gas tanker which caught fire on the M56, was actually very close to the front of the eastbound queue, perhaps 2-300 yards from the incident. Anyway that meant we were stationary for about 45 minutes, during that time a Boeing B17 passed over head and for some reason circled over us a couple of times, so I got to take some pictures of it.

At the start of the journey (Caernarfon to Stockport) I didn't expect to be stood in lane three of the M56 taking pictures, let alone of a B 17!

Has anyone else had problems getting into flightradar24. i just don't seem to be able to get it to load on my computer. I am not experiencing problems with any other site.

Well I don't know what you guys did but it has worked, I got straight in first time in over a day.

Edited By John Miller 4 on 11/08/2015 11:14:18

Love the idea of a bronco losing "..a boom or two..". Peter - your flying site location looks idyllic - as does the full size activity

Some piston engine creation zoomed over my garden on Sunday - very fast and in camo. No idea what it was though Low wing, squared wing tips and rudder..... bit like a Grumman WW2 warbird but not as tubby .....................

GG

There are likely to be a lot of Spitfires flying around this month with the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain.

I'm going to Biggin Hill on Tuesday where a collection of Spitfires will be assembled and will then depart at 1pm in three flights of 8, to perform 'patrols' to Dover, Isle of Wight, and 11 group stations, returning to Biggin between 1.45 and 2pm.

More info here. Advance booking only at £40 each, but heck... to see (hopefully) 24 Spitfires! smile d