What's flying over your house

David Pearce 4

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

Sally's been a busy little 'B' recently!

I have to say though, as much as I enjoy seeing Sally B fly at airshows, to see her fly over my own house, unexpectedly, at low level was quite special!

And this was in weather that had the Vulcan turning back rather than continuing to Dunsfold (where Sally B was almost certainly headed) Though to be fair the bad weather that defeated XH558 was, I believe, a bit further north.

I don't know what I saw today!! It's stumped me so far. Sort of Harvard ish (an impression helped by being partly if not mostly dark blue), def radial type cowl, but with far too much white on Fus and not quite the right shape, esp canopy, and it didn't sound like a large radial, though it seemed to be well off throttle at the time.

Walking near Dunham Park at 14:00 hrs today, my wife and I heard what sounded like a massed shot gun shoot.

The noise came nearer to us, when my wife said that are a lot of guns, what can they be shooting here.

Then a twin engined plane came into view, and I was convinced the noise was coming from it, particularly as the nose died as it disappeared into the distance.

My wife then said, if it is that plane, I am glad I am not on it.

This evening Manchester Int airport that a plane had landed today with engine trouble.

I assume that it was the engine repeatably flaming out, more probably only partial combustion initially, then some combustion somewhere outside the normal combustion area.

To be honest i am glad I was not on it, as the plane was low, and the noise must have been audible in the cabin. Thew good news it landed safely,

Edited By Erfolg on 17/09/2015 18:12:40

Erfolg. If you look at the Manchester, Thompson bird strike you will hear the gunshot effect that stared a shortwhile after the strike. Can understand why it didn't make any sense to you. Not the norm methinks.

We are off to Bangkok on Monday. I'm ok with it all but the "she" does not appreciate hearing about these things just before we leave on our next little adventure!!

Posted by Andrew Price 2 on 17/09/2015 23:00:03:

Erfolg. If you look at the Manchester, Thompson bird strike you will hear the gunshot effect that stared a shortwhile after the strike.

Here's the Thomson bird strike video. The 'shotgun' effect only lasts a few seconds until they stop the affected engine. The plane is perfectly capable of flying - even on takeoff - with just the one. I wonder why, in the more recent incident, the engine is not shut down earlier.

Posted by Dave Bran on 17/09/2015 20:30:13:

Spitfire..................................Yawn..................

Several Piper Arrows or the same one screwing itself into oblivion......................too bored to look................

He who is tired of the majestic sound and sight of the legendary spitfire, is surely tired of life itself?

(Passes Dave a rope) 🎻