What's flying over your house

David Pearce 4

We are situated west of Stanstead and with an easterly blowing the flight path turning point for the approach is right above us. I can sit in my lounge with my Flightradar24 App and watch them coming in about every 2 mins. We also live about 1/2 mile from the main A10 Viaduct near Hertford which seems be used as ref point by all sorts like the military, red arrows, memorial flight and numerous helicopters. We appreciate the show but our neighbour hate it, what can you say ! Barrie.

Advert

Posted by Peter Miller on 21/07/2016 18:04:14:
Posted by Gavin Livsey on 21/07/2016 16:03:50:
Posted by Peter Miller on 21/07/2016 13:42:56:

Just had a formation of 10 turboprop trainers fly past. Tucanos? They were flying roughly North towards MIldenhall.

Peter, it was the Swiss PC-9 team. They fuel stopped at Cambridge, then heading north.

THanks for that. I am about 30 miles west of Cambridge. They were sideways on to me and I had not got my binoculars. really must grab them every time.

I should have said EAST of Cambridge. I can't help t if I am thickembarrassed

Probably straying slightly from the thread topic (although the aircraft in question may have flown over my house!).

Saturday morning at Old Warden, spotted a very unusual twin lining up then taking off; not a collection aircraft, but from the private hangers. Reg was T7-NVH, it was a Tecnam 2006PT apparently, registered in San Marino, but usually operating in the UAE as a pipeline surveillance aircraft.

Definatey one of the rarer birds I've seen.

Also seen on Saturday was a Dornier Do28; we've seen this aircraft previously taking off from Old Warden, so I guess it's a resident at the private hangarage.

That Tecnam looks in pictures that give no scale a much bigger bird than it actually is, only a four seater.

Good looking thing, surprised no ARTF!!

BTW.................. it's not great that "u" is next to "i" on the keyboard when writing bigger........................nearly................... blush

Here in Christchurch, New Zealand we’re past the shortest day and winter is setting in. Today this has included a strong westerly wind which is more common in summer. It means that all but the largest planes approaching Christchurch airport descend and approach over the western fringes of the city which includes where we live and use the short west runway. Its not an everyday occurrence and I certainly enjoy the spectacle. There has been a steady stream of ATR’s and A300’s. Most of the A300’s in Air NZ’s striking scheme of the back of the craft in black with a striking silver fern in honour of our beloved All Blacks. As well there was a black Hercules that means “operation deep freeze” which services the camps down at Antarctica is already preparing for the approaching summer down there.

Too windy to fly. I have a ready to maiden a Peter Miller Swamp Rat and I have spent the day pondering what level to place the Sullivan tank in relation to the 45deg inverted engine in my 75% completed Maricardo.

Over the Downs yesterday afternoon (only 3 miles from my house, and all heading in that direction!) were various 'slightly different' aircraft.

Firstly a pair of biplanes. In the lead, a Rapide, followed a few minutes later by something smaller, and not recognised by any of us who were there. Single-engined but not a Tiger Moth.

Also a Cessna 150 aerobat doing a few loops, rolls and Cuban 8s. Possibly flown by one of our club members?

Another one we saw yesterday that I couldn't identify at the time but have just picked-up on the flightradar24 replay, was a 55 year old Piper PA22.

Posted by Peter Miller on 21/07/2016 13:42:56:

Just had a formation of 10 turboprop trainers fly past. Tucanos? They were flying roughly North towards MIldenhall.

Hi Peter, saw them the same day as you. Have just seen them again departing over the coast at Clacton about an hour ago.

She also flew over my house in Finedon, Northants today, Martin, twice. Both low and slow - fabulous! She does sound so very good, and looks to be in great condition. I'm assuming she still livwes at Duxford. Another good reason to revisit!

The eldest kid next door was, like your fellow diners, a little off with his observations. "It's an RAF plane. There must be a war somewhere" !!

Does anyone know what she was up to?

Flying Field , not house only 10 mins away, but the dark blue "Texan" (I assume the one that used to fly trips from Shoreham) has been very active, including one particularly low pass. That one always seems noisier then most of the radial birds, its quite obtrusive.

Question for you, no need to answer here, when do you think the last one (as the Harvard) left RAF service? Don't spoil it for others by printing the reply, but the answer might surprise you..............................

Not the house but the flying field the other Sunday was a C17 heading North from Hinckley (Leics). He was climbing slowly and passed overhead at about 5000ft. Unusual for a Sunday and no where near Brize Norton. Could have been going to EMA but not in the right circuit at all.

Where were you all on Sunday? Ah perhaps you all went today then. That is to the Blackpool airshow.

So what performed and was it any good, I bet you are all thinking. About 100, 000 people seemed to think it was good. Stretched out along a promenade of a couple of miles in length. Oh what sort of day was it, best described as very, very blustery. Hot though. Although this did not stop the show, or even hinder the smoke effects.

Ah, the planes, there were a team of 6, RV-4 aircraft undertaking aerobatics, called team Raven. Excellent.

The Breightling team were there.

Then there was a team of Twister Silence aircraft, very Spitfirish, again fantastic.

A BAC Strikemaster, strutting its stuff.

A few helicopters, plus a few other aircraft.

Probably the highlight for everyone was the Red Arrows.

Perhaps I should mention the Eurofighter, although around here they are a daily sight, the noise from them alerting you to their presence even if not visible. Earlier this week, I was about 2 miles or less from the runway, only to see one appear to take of vertically straight up, continuing going until a dot. Where it did something, went level, to immediately return to the runway, in a minute or so. Pretty common around here though, only strangers make a second glance.

Next year then, I will see you here, sitting on the balcony of Witherspoons, glass in hand? As for the cost, it is free, other than the beer.

Thanks David.

I got the C and the G part right but was 12 marques out on the version .

I wonder what its task was today, my only guess was something to do with the Commando Training Centre Royal Marines at Lympstone with the aircraft landing at Exeter Airport.