What's flying over your house

David Pearce 4

Advert

The yellow cowling on one engine was quite visible on Sally B, but I cannot remember why it was so painted,i did know but have now forgotten. I think the colour was linked to an aviator who was part of the process of maintaining or owning the plane-who can remember?

Once you retire John you will have far more time to plane spot with the rest of us ancient club members.

I was on the back vehrandah earlier this afternoon charging some lipos for flying tomorrow when I heard the deep rumble of a big radial overhead. Outside in in double time, it was a FW190, I'm sure. Over the SW suburbs of Sydney, running S-N. estimated 5-7K feet, estimated 300 Kt. I was excited. Never seen one before.

There is one based in VIC I know, but this far north.

The moral is when on the vehrandah, have binoculars and camera within immediate grasp.

Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 27/08/2016 21:17:47:

The yellow cowling on one engine was quite visible on Sally B, but I cannot remember why it was so painted,i did know but have now forgotten. I think the colour was linked to an aviator who was part of the process of maintaining or owning the plane-who can remember?

Once you retire John you will have far more time to plane spot with the rest of us ancient club members.

The yellow and black cowling commemorates Ted White who first brought Sally to Britain. He was killed in a plane accident .

I have a print of Sally B by Antony Harrold. IT was signed by Harold, Ted White and Bullock. Unfortunately Bullock signed in ballpoint and so it has faded to blank paper. Of course White and Bullock are no longer with us. Bullock tried to roll the Invader at Biggin Hill

And on the subject of prints, I have a print of a Spitfire over London Called Guardians of Freedom limited to 500, Signed by the artist Timothy O'Brien AND ALEX Henshaw. And a limited (200) edition print of aTempest by Keith Aspinall and signed be Bea Beaumont called "Lull Before the Storm.

Also a Robert Taylor print of Memphis Belle signed by Captain Robert Morgan. THis one I seem to remember was limited to 700.

At flying field yesterday. Saw two bombers. One a low flying Tornado, nothing unusual there, here in North Lincolnshire. The second I took a quick glance at and saw twin fins so thought BBMF Lancaster, again a frequent visitor to our skies. Took a second look and decided it might not be a Lanc. I think it was a B25 Mitchell. Somewhat unusual that.

Maxg

Posted by John Privett on 02/09/2016 19:15:25:

I hope you gave them directions back to the nearest coast, Martin - they were clearly lost!

Doesn't the Coastguard now provide the heli rescue for the mountain walkers etc since we sold out the RAF service? So if Martin is located Peak District or Pennines or the like they could have been on that mission or practice for it.

We have a base at Humberside Airport and I often see the helis charging off inland towards the Peak District.

Maxg