What's flying over your house

David Pearce 4

Advert

Posted by Dane Crosby on 21/08/2014 20:24:21:

Just saw a Beech Starship fly over my house. Quite a rare sight. It was making an approach to St Mawgan sorry, Newquay International sad

Are you sure? Pretty certain all Starships were bought back by the manufacturer after they decided to stop supporting spares and they were all scrapped. Might have been a P 180?

Posted by Gavin Livsey on 21/08/2014 20:31:16:

Just saw a Beech Starship fly over my house. Quite a rare sight. It was making an approach to St Mawgan sorry, Newquay International sad

Are you sure? Pretty certain all Starships were bought back by the manufacturer after they decided to stop supporting spares and they were all scrapped. Might have been a P 180?

Someone ought to scrap the Piaggio P180 Avanti's too............the one I see regularly is unacceptably noisy, really very nasty indeed.

Don't be sorry....everybody knows it as St Mawgan. I didn't know the name had changed!

Hi Gavin et al. You are completely correct, I let my mind wander around aircraft types. It was a P180 of course. It sounds much the same as a Starship. Of note, One Starship owner is flying again having just obtained his certification in the USA. One or two of the others may be flying in the next year or so but that will be it after most were scrapped or Christmas-tree'd for spares. Sorry to all about the mis-ident. I must have inhaled a surfeit of CA fumes that afternoon!!

This afternoon early on there were two planes "dogfighting" and doing loops out to sea off Rustington/Littlehampton.

Could see and hear them from my garden but too far off to positively identify and no binoculars reachable, but sounded Merlin(ish) and the shape was right AFAICS so I assume Spitfires. They were going at it for some time.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Glenn Stratton on 09/09/2014 16:24:56:

I may have missed the ShutteWorth Pagent, but saw this afternoon flying in close formation with a Yak, the DH 88 Comet. Flew from Old Warden towards Little Gransden then returned about 45 minutes later

Why am I never at home when this happens? sad

You're obviously quite close by Glenn, we're in Gamlingay.

• 2 weeks later...

Not over the house, but over our Bucks club field around 17:30 today. Had just launched for my fourth and last flight when I heard that distinctive Merlin sound. Got the model up high as quickly as poss then turned it towards the noise so I could have a look

Spitfire just visible above the tree line flying lowish and slowish. A club mate who arrived as I was packing up confirmed the sighting, and said he thought it might have been heading into RAF Halton