What's flying over your house

David Pearce 4

I was busy at work today(saturday) welding away in the yard when I heard a powerfull piston engine approaching which sounded like a Griffon to me. Whipped my welding helmet off and looked up in time to see a blue Spitfire(BBMF I think), pass right overhead at very low level. He proceded to bank around and pass over twice more before pulling up and heading off.

Almost made it worthwile being at work!

I'm lucky enough to be about 3 miles from RAF Coningsby ,so I get most of their traffic also some sentries from RAF Waddington normaly waddo stuff is very early morning you can see about six or seven heading out to the north sea.we do get the odd Hawk trainer about a week ago it nearly took my chimney off or so it sounds ,it was low and fast.,I have to say I love it though.when I first came to Lincolnshire I lived in a mobile home about 5/6 hundred yards from Coningsbys main run way and was awakened by a flock of phantoms back then Bernie.smiley .PS Not forgetting the BBMF of course always getting them over .OOO those merlins .

Edited By Bernie on 29/06/2014 19:00:51

About an hour ago a Hunting Percival Pembroke flew low over me on approach to Staverton. Judging from the u/c being up and his quite fast speed I'm guessing it was a low pass rather than a landing.

A stirring site although when I was in the RAF in the 1960/70s I would probably have thought them boring in comparison with other RAF types flying then. But now it was a lovely noise and very nostalgic.

Wednesday evening I was just going out at 7:15pm when I heard a very loud rumbling of a couple of radial engines; I looked up to see one of the BBMF Dakotas directly overhead at about 200 feet! Checked later and it seem it was on its way from Wyton to Northolt for a series of fly-bys.

Mike - didn't see anything tonight, though I was probably 4 or 5 miles from Sanderstead at 6pm, so far enough away to miss it unless it also happened to be heading my way.

But I'm sure we saw a ***cat of some description in the distance either last weekend or (more likely) the weekend before. Far enough away to be impossible to identify, but certainly had a ***cat appearance about it.

Whilst I was glueing the servo tray in my free Super Air, a twin engine WW2 sounding plane flew over along the Addington road in the direction of Biggin Hill. Unfortunately due to cloud possibly I did not see it.

John, I have just filled out an application form for the Epsom Downs club, the problem is that I have not taken the A certificate yet, only BPMFC field test some years ago. What is the club's strategy for getting 'old gits' through the test?

Mike

Mike, we are planning on having a bit of a 'push' to encourage more of our members to get their A tests done - idea is to set some dates in advance (as far as can be done with our 'wonderful' weather!) where examiners and instructors will be guaranteed to be in attendance. Then a bit of assessment/instruction/encouragement/arm-twisting as appropriate can be done for those who are ready for, or nearly ready for, their A tests.

In the meantime those without A's can of course still fly with an A-certificated person supervising. I suspect a significant number of our 'mid-week' flyers fly on that basis!

Regarding the membership form, it's me you'll send it to. Post is fine, but I'm happy to accept emailed forms and photos, and payment by direct transfer if you want (I'll send you our bank details if you want) - entirely your choice though!

Back on topic(ish)... I'm noticing smaller aircraft appearing on flightradar24 than in the past - more so in America, but some GA aircraft here too. Presumably the ADS-B gear is increasingly being fitted on private aircraft as well as commercial.

Today I spotted several gliders on flightradar24, all apparently flying out of the Scottish Gliding Centre near Kinross. I don't know if there's a major event going on there, or if it's just "regular" club gliders there that are now kitted-out with ADS-B.

Here's a couple of screenshots.

screenshot 2014-07-05 15.25.25.jpg

screenshot 2014-07-05 12.53.40.jpg