What's flying over your house

David Pearce 4

Posted by Dave Bran on 13/06/2014 14:34:30:

Earlier there were two mid sized polluters in the 06:00 - 06:30 dash for landings that were VERY VERY close as they reached the bottom of the stack, one South African, one Kenyan, witness the sudden port/starboard split...................bit like the Arrows pair......................... cool

Just had a quick look at the replay on flightradar24.

At 05:00 UTC (06:00BST) this morning KQA102 (Kenya Airways B777 from Nairobi) is arriving, heading WNW, whilst SAA234 (South African Airways A330 from Jo'berg) is in the stack and heading WSW - both aircraft converging on Biggin Hill. Their paths almost cross after passing over Luxted Road, to the east of Biggin. However there is quite a height difference between them - the 777 was at 12,000 feet and descending, the A330 at 8,375 feet, also descending. Both were travelling at a little over 250 kts.

After this the SAA 777 continued west in my direction, before turning north-east and joining the queue of aircraft heading over London on final approach for LHR, the A330 did one orbit in the stack, then followed a similar track to LHR.

Posted by John Privett on 13/06/2014 21:40:57:
Posted by Dave Bran on 13/06/2014 14:34:30:

Earlier there were two mid sized polluters in the 06:00 - 06:30 dash for landings that were VERY VERY close as they reached the bottom of the stack, one South African, one Kenyan, witness the sudden port/starboard split...................bit like the Arrows pair......................... cool

Just had a quick look at the replay on flightradar24.

At 05:00 UTC (06:00BST) this morning KQA102 (Kenya Airways B777 from Nairobi) is arriving, heading WNW, whilst SAA234 (South African Airways A330 from Jo'berg) is in the stack and heading WSW - both aircraft converging on Biggin Hill. Their paths almost cross after passing over Luxted Road, to the east of Biggin. However there is quite a height difference between them - the 777 was at 12,000 feet and descending, the A330 at 8,375 feet, also descending. Both were travelling at a little over 250 kts.

After this the SAA 777 continued west in my direction, before turning north-east and joining the queue of aircraft heading over London on final approach for LHR, the A330 did one orbit in the stack, then followed a similar track to LHR.

Well used to looking at the stack with FR running to compare.............and the routing you have appears right, but FR does not show the finer path detail, and no way did they show "live" that far apart height wise accounting for relationship of aircraft size!!

Just had a private Red Arrows series of flypasts of the "five" in various changing formations, while they negotiated the BH show, twice right overhead. Apart from that one, of the quietest shows I have experienced since coming to the area in 1979, not a single warbird.......

Must admit, I'd forgotten (or hadn't realised!) there was a show on at Biggin Hill today... I haven't seen any traffic from the show today, but that's mainly because I've only just returned from Manchester having been there all day! face 20

I was going to keep a look out tomorrow for any airshow traffic, but I see it was a one-day only show - and no tickets were available on the gate, pre-booked only!

Posted by John Privett on 14/06/2014 19:55:05:

I haven't seen any traffic from the show today...

OK, OK... So just to prove me wrong, no sooner had I posted that comment than a pair of helis flew over heading west away from Biggin Hill. By the time I got a clear view of them they were somewhat distant, so a positive 'id' was impossible, they may have been Gazelles, but on the other hand they may easily have been something else. But flying as a pair in close formation I'd put money on them being from today's show.

We heard the sound of helis flying towards us early this afternoon; I could distinctly hear a Chinook amongst the other; when the came into view, they were lead by a huge single rotor heli that made the Chinook look small; that was followed by a pair of Sea King sized choppers, both flying with the doors open and they were all followed by the Chinook. The all passed over at at less than 1000 ft I would estimate.

Just seen the 'Queen's Flight' thread, it was obvioulsy the Merlin, 2 Pumas and the Chinook heading inbound.

Edited By Martin Whybrow on 14/06/2014 22:52:47

I think it was a Merlin, two Pumas and the Chinook. Coincidentally (I think) a Merlin flew over my house in south west Shropshire about 20 minutes after the Trooping flypast, heading northeast. Surely can't have been the same one....

...sorry Martin, just saw your edit!

Edited By David P Williams on 14/06/2014 23:08:07

Yesterday was a good day with the Tiger Airways Stampe, Stearman and Firefly plus Aviat A-1B G-USKY puttering over my chimney. Today the mighty Texan has been doing a circuit or two. I grabbed a small camera and the image, and the dull day, doesn't do this immaculate aircraft justice. It's a great place to live!texan over staverton-1.jpg

Edited By David Pearce 4 on 15/06/2014 11:22:35

Just had a little treat here in SW France - Two RAF Apaches keeping top cover for a Chinook and a Merlin which flew over our house 'not very high'! More pics in my album:

dsc_0568a.jpg

Here they come after we waved at them!

dsc_0569a.jpg

dsc_0570a.jpg

dsc_0572a.jpg

Wow!! Teeth and tile rattling!

dsc_0573a.jpg

dsc_0574a.jpg

dsc_0575a.jpg

dsc_0585a.jpg

dsc_0589a.jpg

After that I had to have a sit down! The Apaches remained on station for about an hour or so.

Just like being at Greenacres!

Terry

Edited By Terry Walters on 25/06/2014 14:31:19

Fantastic photos Terry. I'm just finishing reading Stephen's Clarke's book "1,000 Years of Annoying the French". What a hoot! I'm amazed that our military are allowed to occupy French air-space, or have we decided to invade them again? Perhaps it's a special operation to liberate you, sort of a re-run of Pegasus Bridge with helicopters instead of Horsas. Did they land in your back garden?

Sorry I didn't catch up with you at Greenacres, I was probably too pre-occupied with making a mess of my Pushy-Cat, now deceased.

Hi Colin,

I have fun educating the french guys at the club about their own history. There does seem to be a french trait of re-writing their history when it didn't go in their favour. Waterloo was a draw apparently! They know very little of the Vichy air force which happily shot down Allied aircraft with their Dewoitines both in France and N Africa! And did you know the Dewoitine was the inspiration for the Hurricane - no neither did I because it wasn't!! I do tease them a bit. I took a french visitor to the UK to London and in Trafalgar Square I asked her who it was on top of the column - no hesitation - Napoleon!!! If you go to the fabulous Millau Bridge and look at the information you will see clearly that it was built by a french construction company. Try to find a mention of the architect - Sir Norman Foster of Stansted Airport terminal fame and you'll have a great difficulty finding any reference. The converse is yesterday at Wimbledon when the generally english crowd got behind the french player Tsonga - the reverse is very unlikley to happen here.

My eldest sister, who is a francophile, is a bit upset with the French ATC who decided to hold their weekly strike wink today and her flight out here was cancelled. They really are dreadful and extremely cynical. The sooner we have a European ATC the better. They are full of rights and no responsibilties.

I tried to find you on Sunday afternoon and asked around but was told you had gone - sorry about that - next year then!

Sorry about your Pushy Cat - I didn't see that!

The Apaches are still about now - I can hear them as I write. Pete B did know something about them being out here but I don't think he's seen them - he's 30 miles NW of me.

Just reading Ray Blyth's book - very good indeed!

Sorry about being off topic - I'll stop now before I'm 'Modded'

Terry

Thanks Terry. What a nerve they have, the Hurricane preceded the D520! To be fair, that was closer to the Spitfire than the Hurricane, with a Merlin it would have been really good.

The French ATC strike is for 6 days, rotters! (Can I say that)?

I went through the Gorge d' Ardeche on my Honda VFR800 from near Valence to Millau on my way to the Med in 1999. I saw the model of the bridge in the Chamber of Commerce window in Millau and the sign on it actually said who the architect was! Very surprising. The bridge wasn't built then though, but the autoroute South over the mountains was and it was spectacular, three lanes of varying widths snaking down the South side of the mountains towards Cap D'Agde, I nearly over-cooked it on the fantastic bends and had to back off before I did myself in!

I've been over the bridge in recent years and the autoroute over the mountain has been ruined with lane narrowing, radar and 50 kph limits on the bends. Changed from stunning to boring, although I admit safer. Nice to near that you're reading Ray Blyth's book as well.

I supposed I'd better stop now because I don't wish to spoil the thread, I hope that the moderator will let me off. I apologise in advance!

I could mention that we are in our place in Calpe, Spain at the moment in view of the large rock in the centre of the bay, the Penon de Ifach. We frequently see the coast-guard rescue helicopter flying over and lifting injured climbers who have a habit of falling off it, sometimes it is hair-raising seeing crew and victims on stretchers dangling 1,000 ft. up. We've been watching it this afternoon while walking along the promenade, everyone stops to watch while this is going on. I must hand it to the helicopter crews, they're very skilful and very courageous. 

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 25/06/2014 17:15:54

Great pics, Terry - you jammy wotsit! 'Spose I can take my Union Flag in now....smile

Of course, they had to have a look at Saint-Cirq-Lapopie in passing - every other tourist does!teeth 2

I hope Andy waved back....thumbs up

Pete

ps - I think there's some guys from Middle Wallop who want a word with you -  RAF Apaches indeed.....smile o

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 25/06/2014 17:15:41

Fair comment re RAF and Apaches! blush but Brits all the same! I did point them in your direction but that was all I could do. When the Apaches were stooging about I held up my McVities Digestive box to indicate friendly natives! Their on board surveillance camera systems should've picked that up fine!

Sorry I pinched your treat! angel Maybe they'll visit you on the way back home?

Terry