What's flying over your house

David Pearce 4

GRIN...........

Like everything else Dave, if you see them flying nearly every day, even though not in these numbers, a "few" more does not really stir the blood all that much! WINK

Can appreciate the work involved, the money spent, etc, but the way some are wobbling on on Faceache still makes me wince, esp when ANY Spitfire is deemed a Battle of Britain fighter.

Well from my viewpoint at Biggin Hill I watched 24 aircraft start up, taxi and take off. All 24 returned a little later. The BBC reckon there were 18 Spitfires and 6 Hurricanes, but that's not right as one of the aircraft was a Mustang! I need to sort through my photos to get an accurate count.

Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 17/08/2015 10:43:32:

Just moments ago very low and fast a couple of F16 jets (I think) from the direction of Biggin Hill to Epsom?

I heard something come over low, fast and loud yesterday morning. Unfortunately I didn't even catch a glimpse of whatever it/they was/were! A club member I spoke to in the afternoon who lives very close to Epsom Downs also heard them.

John,what ever they were I just caught sight of the second plane as it flew over our roof , there appeared to be missiles or similar fixed at the wing tips as is the case with the F16 ?.

Went to Epsom Downs today for a model flying session and the four of us model flyers were treated to a display by a full size Spitfire that we waved to as it passed over us. The pilot flew around the Downs a few times and may have managed a roll between us and the grandstands?

Mike - I was at Biggin Hill for the Biggin 75 event today. 24 aircraft (reported by everybody as 18 Spitfires and 6 Hurricanes - but whilst there were 24 aircraft, 1 was a Mustang!) departed in 3 flights of 8 for various locations.

After they returned, 1 aircraft didn't land immediately, but departed for Epsom Racecourse (according to what one of the people I was with heard on the air-band radio.) We don't know why this one Spitfire went to Epsom Downs, but clearly it did! Glad you can confirm that and enjoyed his display.

I have to say that seeing the sky over Biggin Hill full of Spitfires and Hurricanes (plus a Mustang!) was quite a spectacle - not one I expect ever to see again...

Earlier this afternoon (maybe 5pm ish?) what looked like a MiG 15 flew over, a bit to the south of me, heading east, roughly in the direction of Biggin Hill. I could be wrong with the aircraft id - I know there is one based at North Weald - but it was something very similar if it wasn't the MiG.

John,

If it was a mig 15 is was probably Kenneth's new toy, it's based in the UK for the season, along with the he vampires, and scheduled for the Bournemouth air show next. Sadly Martin' T-33 is still awaiting new engine pipes fitted and Martin is now based in the USA on their first F35 squadron. Martin has just also bought a single seat vampire in the USA and I hope to catch up with him in Oct when I visit.

Sorry John, forgot to add details, Kenneth is one of the pilots and it's his Mig 15. Although officially the Norwegian Historical Squadron, the aircraft are owned by the pilots.

http://www.historicalsquadron.no/section.php?Category=NEWS&Template=aeroplanes

http://www.historicalsquadron.no/section.php?Category=NEWS&Template=aeroplanes

Edited By Reno Racer on 27/08/2015 08:34:45

Well, the last few days I have had rather lot of planes over my head, but not at home, as I have been in central Keflavik, where the VERY close to town local airport main runway points straight over the central Hotel (though no night flying to disturb).

Seen so many different "air pollution" civil twins and singles, mostly turboprop, none of which I have enough interest in to try to identify!

The only aircraft of interest to me was on a Frigate in the harbour, a Lynx. I watched them remove all the engine panels before it was wheeled into its rear deck "hangar". Talk about tight in there, no wonder they remove the panels first!

This has at least given me a scheme to use on a 450 body I have awaiting action.