Congratulations Mr Miller

Advert

• 1 year later...

Just got Peter's Agro-Cat plan. 1984 no less. It looks a very nice plan, everything printed well and plenty of detail. can't wait to begin building "Dusty". A few mods to convert to electric, and yes it will have the dusting option too.

Thanks Peter.

Edited By Andy48 on 03/10/2015 17:18:36

A little story: I once worked at a company that made flavours and fragrances. One of the products was talcum power marketed in the Sudan and called "Bint el Sudan", the smell was not something we would normally use to say the least.

In those days we had a very active control line club and I built a control line Piper Pawnee with dusting operation.

The club made all its funds from putting on displays at local fetes and carnivals. WE did one in my own village where the factory was located and where most of the work force came from.

I "scrounged" some of the talcum powder as it was "cheaper" than buying it. The display went well but the next day at work people kept coming up to me and saying "We know where you got your dusting power from!!"

I must say your 'Flying Banana' caught my eye. Not very original. I think we've all built one of those though probably not intentionally laugh. Fortunately my examples have always been caught before it was impossible to de-banana them.

What a fantastic achievement, Peter. I designed just one model and all I can say is that it flew but not incredibly well until it met its deserved end. So, no, not everyone can do it and many of us who try are nowhere near as successful.

Geoff

The first version of the Flying Banana was a total disaster. As one club member commented "I had Geest wrong!!"

The second versio flew well but had to be landed under power or it just fell out of the sky.

Keep designing, you learn an awful lot. My first designs were control line back in 1954 and a lot of them were failures.

I still design the odd failure. You just don't see them. I did a lovely model of the Spetzio Tuholer home built, Should have flown like a dream but it refused to fly under control. Did a Gusty (Highly modified Tipsy Nipper) Again, it was totally uncontrolable and I still don't know why.

Then my Stits Baby Bird refused to even take off, Not surprising. The STits Worlds Smallest did fly but crashed on take off three times out of 6 flights!! I could go on but I won't

I just tell my self that it stops me getting complacent!!

• 2 months later...

Peter,

Just echoing what others have said - a great ambassador for the hobby and many thanks for your inspiration to design my own. There are at least 6 of your designs that are still on my building schedule. My favourite is a scaled up Tequila Sunrise - one of the best models I have flown and makes me smile at every outing.....

The very best to you sir....

Rob

Peter. Sometime soon I would like to build your Velie Monocoupe Type 70 but I would like to scale it up to take a G Mark 5 cylinder radial that is crying out for a home. I think the original was designed for an 030 size engine so theoretically the G Mark is 10 times bigger but I have no idea what sort of power it develops compared with a single 30. What sort of size do you think I could go for? It is not going to be flown like it was stolen and I like to build light.

Best wishes for 2016 from a big fan!

The Velie 70 from \Traplet was designed round a .25 two stroke. It was a bit under powered in my opinion.

The G-Mrk 5 radial was techinically a ..30 as it had five G-Mark .061 cylinders however it was pretty feeble. I did have one but never flew it. IT only turns an 8" prop so in my opinion build it the standard size and build it light and it should be OK. AFter all the full size was pretty feeble too.

Actually my favourite was the Velie 70 that I designed fro Radio Modeller and which is still in the plans service. I believe it was nicer.This was powered by a |Cox .074 Queen Bee. and was vfery light but a very different model.

I am pretty sure that it was enlarged and built in tne USA. I was sent photos of it at various stages.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Richard.

I am very sorry but I can't help you. The plan was published before I started getting PDF files of my plans and I can't even gfind the article, I must have miss filed it.

I have searched all the website\s that do free plans but no one\ has posted that one.

I used to keep the tracings but it just got to be too much.

Sorry.

I have always thought the Fanlight Fanny was a very similar model to the Oodallally so it is possible you could restyle that to look like a Sipa 12 / Arado 396. Mainly rudder shape is different and rear of the fuselage possibly and different canopy. The small Fanlight Fanny plan in Model Flyer May 2014 gives almost enough detail to scale up.

Build for the Oodalally is here

Edited By kc on 31/01/2019 13:05:08

Excellent portfolio of models over the years and quite prolific a designer. You mention that Boddo has designed many. I think it is probably a fair reflection that there fewer designers these days, I think aside from yourself TN is also fairly prolific in I will say the 'current modern' era, and Boddo and Dave Toyer probably 70's and 80's, but would be interesting to know how many designs Vic Smeed produced.

None of this should take away the fact that you have produced many great deisgns that encourage others to build or design too. Personally, I have designed for myself probably some 30+ model aircraft, dozen or so boats and even a couple of rc cars over the years and sadly seem to do far far less these days than when I was younger, but think designing, building and flying your own design is the icing on the cake, and if others want to build your model then that is the cherry on the top.

Carry on designing building and preaching to the masses to have a go.