Transmitter case @ Maplin

Advert

Posted by Andrew Price 2 on 03/05/2014 10:07:40:

My thanks for the heads up Kevin. Wish I had read some other posts as I would have opted for home delivery. Not all bad though as the Kettering & Northampton stores seem to be out of stock so off to Milton Keynes on the morrow.

Guess that means Ikea for meatballs then!! smile p

Andy

Andy - Northampton showing 13 in stock at Jimmy's End!

Terry

Well done Kevin.

Collected one today. My nearest store was Salford, I do not want to go to Salford again though. First it was a a battle through very heavy traffic, roads 4 lanes each way, traffic lights every where. Lots of new buildings and outlets. Even at the correct out let I found it difficult to find Maplin. Escaping from this urban hell, I got lost in Media City (BBC and ITV ofices and studios), then the Lowry centre. This is not my day i was thinking.

At home, opening the carton and then the box, I did think, things worth having often involve some struggle.

I do not think I will be going there again, can London be worse? If it is, here is one who could not cope, in such congested environment, to live or drive.

I have my reward though!

I rode my bicycle into the middle of Shrewsbury on Saturday, strolled into my local branch of Maplins,  enquired about the case and was told that it was out of stock. However, they said that they could have one delivered to my door at no extra cost. I paid for it there and then and I'm expecting delivery later in the week.

Shame I've only one flyable model. sad

Edited By David Davis on 05/05/2014 16:35:24

As Rob says, above, removing the little squares of foam exposes the hard bottom of the case. I reckon it needs some of the type of foam that's in the top of the case, put into the bottom of any cut-outs. Does anyone know where to get this type of foam? I don't know how to describe it - the stuff with lots of little hillocks (?)

Ian

Ian

I do not know if this is the correct way. Although this is what I did.

• I removed the bit where the Tx is to fit as one piece.
  • I then decided how much I wanted to remove to fit the Tx correctly, or as I wanted
  • I then ran a piece of masking tape around the line, to act as a guide.
  • I then put a new blade in my craft knife and cut to this line, all around. At his point I was a long way from cutting in two.
  • I then sharpened my Chefs knife with a iron, actually its ceramic.
  • I then used the cut and masking tape as a guide, to progressively cut around lining up on two sides.
  • When separated, the cut side was then put to the outside face of the case, even though it was not bad at all..
  • The inner surface is now the pristine uncut face

There is probably a better and more professional way, but this does work.

Thanks for this Erf. Will get on with it later in the man cave.. Bagged two of the cases, I see they are now back to the original prices.. Wonder if Maplin know the modellers in the UK spent the weekend clearing them out??

wink