96" Hawker Hurricane Electric build

Hi C.B.

Your have looked and learned from "Electriflier". You are doing a fantastic job on the build, adapting and re-designing the imperfect original formers e.t.c.to allow the build to go ahead.

Can I ask a question?

Have you thought about removing the ply ribs from the rudder and replacing with Depron?

Would this make it less tail heavy, and would it be worth doing?

I have seen this build in the flesh and it reflects your skill as a modeller and perfectionist builder.

Best regards

Chris

Advert

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement.

Chris, It had crossed my mind but the actual rudder is very flimsy and would need strength adding, thus adding weight. the heaviest part of the tail section is the two horizontal halves, these I may start removing some ply but will see how the CG looks before doing anything too drastic.

Neil,

Probably a good comparison would be the Black Horse Hurricane which is a conventional balsa build and at 87", weighs in at circa 16.5lbs plus.

I'd hazard a guess and say this model when complete will have an AUW of 9 to 9.5 lb if care is taken so, the difference is considerable I'd say.

Roy

Afternoon
Got a couple of hours on the hurricane, to be honest its being a slow process today.

First job was to get the fuselage set up perfectly level, this then allowed me to start work on preparing the tail end of the aircraft ready for the horizontal and vertical components.

I joined the horizontal halves together. This then allowed me to start 'jigging up' and measuring and cutting depron to allow the horizontal tail section to sit nice and flat at the required incidence.

tailcomp.jpg

Tail section joined, leaving elevators loose. These will also be joined together to allow the servo to be moved as far forward in the fuselage as possible.

tailsaddle.jpg

Once that was all dried it was time to check how it all fitted together.

tailinplace.jpg

I also tried my hand at applying the 3mm depron skin to the underside of the tail section, using the trusted method of Electriflier, I don't think I did a bad job but will see in the morning when I get chance to look at it again.

tailunderskin.jpg

That's it for now.

Charles

Danny, The whole model is going to be 'skinned' in 3mm depron. Fingers crossed then the "fabric" skin will then be painted in to look like fabric.

Had an hour or so spare this evening so got on with one job I haven't been looking forward to. Not finished yet but............pilotnaked.jpg

pilotfinished.jpg

He's coming along OK ?

Managed a little bit more over the past day or so, started working on the rear of the fuselage.

First job was to add more vertical 6mm depron ready for the horizontal tail to fix to later on.

tailseat1.jpg

Once that had dried, i flipped the model over to start working on the tail wheel. Quick measure up on the plans showed a 52mm diameter wheel was required. Once a suitable wheel was located in the spares box, I set about bending some 12 swg wire to the right shape.
This was then fixed using saddle clamps to a piece of 1/2" balsa sandwiched between two 3mm lite ply sections ready to be fixed to the fuselage former.tailfloor.jpg

I made a decision to make the tail wheel fixed. Nice and simple yes

Next I thought I would try my hand at skinning again, after a little compliment from Roy the other day on my previous 'skinning'

So on with the vertical stab. Roy had already shown and cut a 6mm depron piece ready to be attached.

tailsec.jpg

Next the bit I was looking forward to, and having watched and leant from Roy a couple of techniques I skinned the vertical stab both sides. smiley

To say I was pleased will be a understatement. Its starting to take shape now. vertandrud.jpg

tailside.jpg

Charles

Edited By Pilot_Chuckle on 28/05/2014 21:32:30

Edited By Pilot_Chuckle on 28/05/2014 21:33:03

Evening, not really got much done today.

However what time was available was spent chatting with Roy about the hurricane build and how to move it along.

Along the build Roy has been advising me to save weight and to possibly consider changing the motor for something with a little more power.

So after dry assembling the tail section onto the fuselage, mounting the wing it was time to weigh the model complete with the retract units, 4s 4500mah lipo, 3300mah 6v Rx pack, spinner and other bits and bobs.

It weighs in at just under 9 lb surprise

Time to see how the model sits with reference to CG, yep she's tail heavy (no surprise)

Both Roy and I were a little disappointed in the weight, now projected at 11 lbs plus, so a motor swap is now needed. But this would allow the use of 6s lipo (more nose weight wink)

Any how here's a picture of the lovely hurricane to date, still loads to do but going in the right direction.

fullonheavy.jpg

BTW the prop sat at the front is a 24" Menz prop !

Charles

Edited By Pilot_Chuckle on 30/05/2014 21:06:53

Neil,
Maybe I could be of some help here.....
I see this model almost every day and from a build perspective, I'd say that a laser-cut kit has both advantages and disadvantages. A major advantage is usually, the accuracy of a well-designed kit means that most of the guesswork is taken out of the early design stage and therefore, can help expediate a build if you're wanting slightly quicker results. Also, again, if the laser-cut parts are accurate, you're able to produce a composite (depron/ply in this case) model with very clean lines and sharp edges.

Major downside when compared to an all-depron build is one of cost. A depron build will always work out cheaper in my opinion. A second consideration when compared to all depron is weight. The same model if built in Depron would probably be no heavier than 9lb as a guess.
So, to answer your question more specifically, the additional weight which ultimately could turn out to be nearer 12lb (who knowsdont know) would still give incredibly low wing loading and WCL - 19.1 oz  ft² and 6 respectively. Better still at 11lb - 17.5oz  ft² Wing loading and a WCL of 5!!!

So, at the top end of the calculations, he should end up with a model that handles somewhere between a glider and a trainer. surprise

Hope this helps
Regards
Roy

Edited By Electriflier on 02/06/2014 22:05:12

Evening
Firstly, thanks to Roy for answering the question above. To be honest never heard of WCL, but I will be doing some reading to learn.

Got a little more done to today, after fitting a Pink foam ring to the front of the model to allow for the new bigger motor, I have started to sheet the front end using 3mm depron.

nosesheet1.jpg

and

overpioltshead.jpg

I also had a little time to do some work in the 'office' ready for the canopy to be fitted later in the build.

hatchopen.jpg

hatchopenrear.jpg

Plenty of room for a 6s lipo to be slotted in there !

Sorry about the lack of words in the blog. But I do find it hard to put things into words.

Regards

Charles

Evening

Martian and Roy M, thanks for the kind words.

Found a little time today to do a little more skinning.

sideskirts.jpg

Little bit of filling to do, but other than that damn happy !

Also lowered the pilot a little in the cockpit after looking the photo's form yesterday, he appeared a little too high.

Charles

Edited By Pilot_Chuckle on 04/06/2014 21:47:15