Danny's "poor mans Spitty"

Danny Fenton

Advert

Cracking pictures Dennis, I have taken the libery of downloading them. Some of the underside shots will be very useful indeed

I will put a couple of bottles and half a dozen syringe needles in the post on Monday Dennis If you cannot get any glue, let me know

Its not as bad as it looks Tony, my palm is supported, its all about getting the work/hand position comfortable. (No sniggering at the back young Padawan!) It also helps when you have ten thousand to do, you get better just before you fall asleep, so you have to time it right Definitely do the fuselage and wing undersides first. By the time you come to the top you will have it sussed

Cheers

Danny

Referring back to the cg issue, I've checked in "the book" and it confirms that some early modifications which increased the weight of the instrument panels plus other equipment changes involving engine accessories, battery, radio etc. caused a forward cg problem. To offset this the early Canadian models were fitted with 16x 1/2lb. Lead weights in the aluminium tail-cone. This lead to cracking of the tail-cone, so in January 1950 the ballast was re-positioned at the bottom of the rudder post.

When you consider this and some of the concerns about spinning characteristics, it does make you think that the Chipmunk would have benefited in both respects from being perhaps 6" longer behind the wing, extending the moment arm and eliminating the need for ballast in the tail.

It had already occurred to me that in my build with a four-stroke up front and the back end lightened a bit with Depron, it would be ironic if I need some weight at the back to offset a forward cg! We'll find out eventually.

Got sucked into the cockit again, The flash does funny things with very matt black with silver dry brushing, the pics make this look much worse than it is embarrassed I will let my fellow clubmates judge on Wednesday at our AGM

Added the lights panel including the dimmer in the centre and the morse ID on the right.

0581 (large).jpg

The switches are made from 1.5mm hex rod, drilled with a 0.6mm drill bit. Then .8mm styrene rod is glued in the hole at a jaunty angle

0582 (large).jpg

quick blast of tamiya flat black (I know should be a scale black, ie black with a hint of white and maybe red crying 2 ) But I only have black to hand...

0585 (large).jpg

The flash has accentuated the silver and the dust

0588 (large).jpg

The back seat just gets a couple of switches

Cheers

Danny

Thanks Andy, Tony, Nev and John.I think I may add a grey dusting over all of this when all the bits are added, just to soften the contrast. Its not that hard, the worst bit is judging how big things should be.
I don't thin the glue Dennis, I tried adding aluminium powder so that the rivets would show through silver when the black was softened with steel wool, but at 1/6 things are quite small.
You really should try detailing its very satisfying and quite addictive
Cheers
Danny

Hi Charles, I haven't done the front section yet, but going by the three view the line should be straighter from the trailing edge to a point at the front. I want the fairing to tuck around the leading edge a bit better than the plan does so that section is all going to be a bit of trial and error crook

I really should pul my head out of the cockpit, and get on with that bit

Cheers

Danny