Danny's "poor mans Spitty"

Danny Fenton

Hi Tony, sorry I didn't address your point about the hinge bearings. Bushing like this has been done for decades and is normal practice. If the model and hinges were bigger then it might be an issue.

Denis Bryant specifies formica as the material from which the hinge parts are made, and yes he suggests small screws as the hinge pins.

Even at 1/4 scale Dave Womersley does it this way too. His hinge brackets are from alloy, but the bearings are still screws. So although I appreciate your engineering concern about using a thread as a bearing surface, from experience it works just fine in this instance.

Cheers

Danny

Advert

I've been reading the posts about hinge screws and thought that I would mention my solution to the problem by making a "shoulder screw" a photo of which I posted in November last year. This is a standard engineering solution to this kind of simple mechanism but is of course only possible if you have a suitable lathe.

Progress on my Chippie is still stalled due to extension building work and will not resume until the new floor has been underboarded and the workshop becomes a safe environment for model aircraft.

Cheers Richard

Hi Richard, and a great solution it is too..

My point is however, that I think the normal bushed hinge will outlast the model so is all the extra work warranted?

Anyway it only took a couple of hours to bush my wing hinges so i am closer to the maiden now. Just need to address the prop issue......

Cheers

Danny

Hi Guys.

Just reading your build blogs on the chippie, (Very interesting0 build and have got to the bottom of page 21. The question is has it got washout? Interesting question as I`m building a 1/5 scale 82in wingspan model designed by Roger Pegg and John Kidd and they suggest a 3% progressive washout with Flaps and Ailerons built in the wing and then cut out after top of wing has been completed. There is and article about the build in the June 1994 issue of Radio Modeller.

Cheers smiley

Mick G

to be honest I cannot recall if the wing has washout or not, I do remember there was a lot of discussion and some were going to increase it? Personally I have built it as per the plans. The model reportedly flys very well, and at 6lbs the wing loading is very low.

Hi Mike, no the Chipmunk hasn't flow in either mode yet, though it is ready. I took it along to Greenacres this weekend and perched it by the Tx tent, so that people could see it. I ended up with three things broken on it, and nobody came up to me to chat about it, so I shall keep it safe at home from now on, my models only seem to suffer when I take them to show people.....

I have decided just for the maiden to swap the wheels and stiffent the oleo, that way I can fly off grass, as tarmac is proving illusive.

Cheers

Danny

HI Danny

Sorry to hear that the Chippy was damaged , that really is very irritating for you. I do hope to see it again sometime in the future. Holidays & family activities have kept me away from Greenacres & Western Park this year; Cosford too is looking more than a bit iffy. It would be good if we could manage a ' Chippy survivors' gathering at some time for photos & a natter. I've been trying to take some flying photos of the Chippy but have not managed to get anything worth posting yet.

Re the washout . Mine is built as per plan. Weight is 8 3/4 lbs, so not a lightweight. In about a doz flights it has been fine. But keep a safe speed on for landing & take care not to spin off the final turn.

Cheers John.

A few weeks ago I tried to get to grips with my Chipmunk build and made some rapid progress, but since then I had to complete a substantial rebuild on the Seafang caused by my own piloting incompetence, then family holiday commitments plus some heavy professional issues have stuffed it completely. This week I am self-indulging on a six day break booked months ago in the Isle of Man for the Southern 100 races, on my motorbike. I get back on Friday, then on Monday I have been caught for jury service, four weeks away from my 70th birthday. Someone's out to get me. I'll get back to it as soon as I can.

The real Chipmunk has got wash-out. I have put three degrees into mine. As this reduces the average incidence by 1.5 degrees, I have increased the root incidence by 1.5 degrees to compensate. It's surprising how much alteration you have to make to achieve that. I'm a strong believer in wash-out, I think it makes for a more efficient wing apart from addressing the tip stalling issue, but that's just my opinion.

• 2 months later...

chippy maiden.jpg

Well chaps my Chipmunk has flown. It was a bit blowy, but straight down the strip. I was warned that there seemed to be an area of sink right at the threshold of the runway, so I mentally intended to land further along the field, but of course I hit the sink and ran out of elevator. I didn't hit the ground but I also didn't get much of a flare. The speed, though not excessive, pulled the leg and the block loose on one side!

I needed a great deal of up trim, which could be incidence issues, but I am tempted to try moving the c of g back a little, and increase the elevator throw.

Anyway it flew really well, nicely balanced in the turns without needing much rudder. Apart from the U/C issue very pleased.

Cheers
Danny

Congratulations with your maiden, Danny.

I just hope for you that the u/c 'trouble' isn't really major.

Great build, sir. Do you realize that following your build blog since nearly the beginning, made me decide to participate to the Ballerina Mass Build with, of course, not the most single clue what I was doing... angel

Thank you for your inspirational posts, Danny.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR WP912 Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 14/09/2016 20:51:30

The damage is not too serious but will mean hacking the wing open, and if this side failed so will the other, so they will both need attention. The repairs and strengthening probably wont be too difficult, the problem will arise trying to hide the repairs crying 2

damage 1.jpg

I think I have made the undercarriage less forgiving by using solid oleos rather than springy piano wire. The torsion arms should have worked here but perhaps minus the springy legs the load is to sudden. I am sure it would have been okay on tarmac, but on grass the drag on the wheels was too great.

So if you haven't covered your wings yet it might be an idea to bolster this area?

Cheers and thx for all the positive comments, they are much appreciated

Congratulations on the flight Danny, clearly once the undercarriage is sorted you've got a reliable flyer here.

I don't think that wire legs would have prevented this. The sudden bending motion is focused at the point where the leg goes into the wing and then translates into a torsional twist that ends up at the anchor point in the wing. Clearly the damage has been minimised by the design doing its' job, the problem is that it's a fairly flimsy structure without a lot of tolerance for events like this. It worried me from the start and mine is beefed up here, so fingers crossed.

Mine is waiting for me to finish off the wing root fairings, once that is done the remaining work is covering, finishing and cockpit detail. All of the motor installation work, (except for exhaust) and radio/servo installation is done. I need to take a big gulp of fresh air and get stuck into it. Too many other things have got in the way this year, but it will happen. I'm hoping that the alterations I made including the undercarriage reinforcement, scale wash-out and hopefully some structural lightening will help, although it is possible that with the four-stroke up front and lighter structure behind the wing, the battery will need to go well back to get the c of g right. We'll find out.

A bit of a sickener to have to cut into all that beautiful surface detail though..

Since I moved over to petrol model which don't spray oil over everything I have taken to test flying a bare and basic airframe as soon as the covering is applied. Not only does it give a boost to the remaining stages of the build it does give an opportunity to discover any issues before the final finish is applied.

Its been a brilliant thread though, Thanks Danny, I've picked uploads of good stuff.

Edited By stu knowles on 15/09/2016 09:20:50

Brilliant to see your chippy fly after all this time Danny. It must have been nerve racking but the low passes for the camera were great.

The undercarriage damage is clearly at the anchor point to the rib and I don't remember if you followed the plan and used the single screw and clip or did something else. I was concerned about this and have anchored mine into a hole in a beech block that is then glued and screwed to the rib.

Although I have sheeted over this area I could of course rework this (although I'm not sure how) once I get back to the build when my workshop is finally reinstated.

Cheers Richard