Why am i Chipping in ?

wing 003.jpgwing 002.jpgFull of cold again and a splitting headache, so no work n i'm boredsad hung about long enough ...so build a wing.

Apologies for off plan but it's dimensions and outline I want, how I get there is not important. R1 will be 1/8 with a doubler and centre section will be 1/8 ribs. Bit of re-cutting to do so started wing so it's drying. Spruce mainspars and balsa rear ones. Yes it will be a little heavier, but it will still be a light wing.

John

p.s feel free to disagree or comment wink

wing 001.jpg

Great John good to see you make a start on the wing, sorry you aren't feeling too bright

As I typed the explanantion to Nigel last night I thought you could make a couple of R1 copies to build the centre section idea So either great minds think alike, or is it fools never differ? smile o

Anyway it will be interesting to see how you get on. Seeing as you have fitted leading edges are you going to sheet perpendicular to it?

Cheers

Danny

I fitted leading edge to stiffen it Danny, I made a good job of cutting my ribs (for me) but may have to tickle the upper spar slots, so thought it best to add it. Yes I normally butt sheeting up to it. Time I bought myself a long Permagritwink

My wings glued up, new R1's made and doublers drying, so I now need to make a dihedral template up. I am beginning to wonder if my 52 FS might be better in this...very light

A few minor issues aside I reckon the plan was a good choice yes

John

wing 2 003.jpgwing 2 002.jpgWell that never took long, will be dry enough to add t/edge spars before bedtime, best get them cut out.

David put some great photos on and now i'm a bit worried about going over 7kg when I add the rivetscheeky

The fairings around wing and fin are the sort of stuff i'm looking forward to + access/ inspection panels.

Sliding canopy/ cockpit detail, would be nice but looks beyond medont know

John

wing 2 001.jpg

wing 3 002.jpgWings dry so I looked at top spar, not too bad a bit of tickling with these tools n jobs a good un. Manicure file is a tip I picked up on here great for delicate work yes rear spar is a good fit but I don't fancy pinning it, so will cyano tomorrow. If you cut your own ribs don't forget to add the tabs makes it much easier.

John

wing 3 001.jpg

w.join 002.jpgw.join 004.jpgOn the leading and trailing edge we have angles, I am getting rid of these with wedges...then my brace will be straight ( not much different to the plan really )

I will slot the section ribs to join with braces, again not much different to the plan, but in a different order. Any snags i'll deal with as I come to them cheeky What's my advice to others ? well if you have accurate cut parts once you've joined the spar to B2, build as Danny/Martin

John

w.join 001.jpg

Hi John good to see you are grasping the Bull by the horns

So you have cut the leading edge and the wedge B1 short of the centreline? how are you going to put the strength back? That line in front of R1 on B1 is not a cut, its a change in surface angle. B1 is supposed to be contigous as is the trailing edge joiner B3

Cheers

Danny

Yes Danny I know it's a change in angle, There will be a ply brace there similar to B3. Both my new R1's are 1/8 now. I reckon B2's provide most of the strength anyway. Still got some thinking to do on centre bit, so will build my 2 panels for now. Bull by the horns ? here's hoping I don't get gored.

John

db 001.jpgdb rib 001.jpgMade a dihedral template and stuck my rib in, next is a few shear webs to hold it true, when dry I can lift it and get moving againsmiley

I've had the long rule on it and all seems straight, it all looks strong enough to meyes

Washout ? at the weight this will be i'm not worried about it

John

db rib 002.jpg

Edited By john stones 1 on 29/10/2014 20:37:14

webs 001.jpgFitted shear webs in alternate bays 1/16 balsa...bit more weight addedsad the wing is lifted from my board now, feels nice and solid. Like Danny I can't see nothing built in, looks perfectly true to me.

Waiting in for a delivery today...so shall tape the plan to a window and trace left panel...how daft is that ?

John

webs 003.jpg