Why am i Chipping in ?

Posted by Charles Galloway on 22/10/2014 12:22:41:

I remember many years ago Brian Woods flying his BrianTaylor 190 at our club field. It's a small model by today's standards but flew really well. I have the plan and think the retracts don't look too bad to get right.

Maybe Danny could lead us in a build of that one. He likes his BT models.

After this one Charles, I thought we might tackle Brian Taylors 81" Mosquito or 83" Spitfire, you game?

Cheers

Danny

Posted by Danny Fenton on 22/10/2014 13:30:15:
Posted by Charles Galloway on 22/10/2014 12:22:41:

I remember many years ago Brian Woods flying his BrianTaylor 190 at our club field. It's a small model by today's standards but flew really well. I have the plan and think the retracts don't look too bad to get right.

Maybe Danny could lead us in a build of that one. He likes his BT models.

After this one Charles, I thought we might tackle Brian Taylors 81" Mosquito or 83" Spitfire, you game?

Cheers

Danny

Do's he not do a big FW 190 ?...the man wants to get his finger out wink

John

Edited By john stones 1 on 22/10/2014 15:50:56

flaps 001.jpgNo building done this week so far, but I've been paying attention angel

Flap servo...now using two 12.5g-2kg torque mg ones, ailerons i'll stay with one.

Will fit the left bellcrank in opposing bay to right one, as in picture, if I fit servo's opposite way to each other I can use Y lead. If I can't balance them will use a separate channel.

B3 i'm thinking 1/8 ply with hard 1/8 balsa laminate ? easier to work and seems sufficient

John

flaps 003.jpg

I may be being daft but for the flap servos wouldn’t you have to put one upside down for then to work in opposition, not just flip it over. I was thinking of this myself but only have one channel I can use for flaps so would need a Y lead.

It's only an instinct thing John, but 12g servos seem very small for flaps to me. I know they are specified at 2kg but they just seem very small. I see flaps as surfaces that have to hang out in the wind for a while, slowing the model down, as opposed to ailerons say, which only have to alter the amount of lift of each wing.

John, my concern is that while it;s pinned down using 1/8" ply as a doubler is ,... getting the ply to curve around without distorting the fuz shape, at the moment there is not a lot of strength on the formers, perhaps 1/16 ply and 1/16 balsa, may be better

As for servos , I feel 9 gms ones will be too small to do the job, mini ones 24gms is what i will use, particular on the ailerons

That would work well I think, as long as you can achieve similar angles with the pushrods as they leave the arm.

The plan shows the belcrank one bay further out on the second wing. This is so it can be the same way around as the one in the first wing (rather than a mirror image). Should work fine.

Another possibility would be good old fashioned aileron torque rods, running in a tube in the ribs. Then have a short pushrod to the flap horn. I've not really worked out if there's space for that or not.

BTW I'm very likely to put two servos out in the wings for ailerons. I have a couple of Corona slim wing servos just arrived that look like they might work very well.

I thought 2 x 2 kg serves would be a good way to go. dont know for flaps but I've never built anything this size.

I have half a dozen 19g, 3 kg servoes. I'm thinking 1 for each flap, if I can mount them centrally, 1 each rudder and elevator and 1 working both ailerons through the bell cranks. I am assuming gentle turns not high speed flick roles. But I'm a long way off fitting them.

Posted by A.A. Barry on 23/10/2014 20:01:39:

John, my concern is that while it;s pinned down using 1/8" ply as a doubler is ,... getting the ply to curve around without distorting the fuz shape, at the moment there is not a lot of strength on the formers, perhaps 1/16 ply and 1/16 balsa, may be better

As for servos , I feel 9 gms ones will be too small to do the job, mini ones 24gms is what i will use, particular on the ailerons

It is o.k with balsa Barry, mine feels strong enough and then the wing fairing will add some strength as well.

John