Bell Crank - Servo linkage

Jack Banner

Hi,

i am continuing to re-fit an old plane that I inherited but have hit a snag. The plane uses bell cranks for the Aileron activation with a central brass tube, which has a hole drilled in it, joining the two threaded rods from the bell cranks as below:

img_20140613_145719223[1].jpg

Does anyone recognize this type of fitting and know how I can join it to the servo arm for actuation? Of course the servo will be mounted on it's side using a commercial mount but I am not sure at all how to connect it all up.

As always, any help appreciated!

Advert

Hi,

i have made a similar connection on one of my models i just need to take another picture to show how it works .

sipa1833.jpgNot sure this one is clear but you can see i have a snake the operates both ailerons and is connected by the wire to the servo arm .

I used wire to allow for the none linear movement of the servo arm .

I guess on yours you would insert a threaded rod on to which you would put a commercial horn .

Steve .

Edited By Stephen Jones on 14/06/2014 21:19:19

How big is the hole? If it will take a 2mm bolt then I'd use a short pushrod from the servo with a ball link connecting it to the pushrod joiner, otherwise a short pushrod with a bend on the end to go through the joiner, retain it with a soldered washer.

Pete Miller's your man for pushrod and bellcrank setups, personally I prefer to strip them out and fit dual servos in their place, I've done it a few times now. The servo extendions can usually be fed through by removing the plastic shroud at one end and taping the exposed connectors to the pushrod end before pulling it out. Once the lead is through pop the shroud back on, Bob's your Uncle. Servo goes on the bellcrank mounting plate, job's a good'un.

Possibly, as I was given on a plane in the 70's, the hole in the rod had a pin/rod sticking out, this would run in a servo horn which was slotted to fit the pin. The slotted servo arm rotates, pushing the pin away either direction. Aileron level would be half slot.

Have also seen it done using thin piano wire as the bent up slot part, this fixed as a extension to a std arm. Gauge chosen correctly, this will prevent surface blowback but allow some spring for avoiding damage during handling knocks.

Early RC and before radio was common in the 50's big scale engine powered slot racing cars were also done like this on the steering.

• 2 months later...

The single servo with bell-cranks for the aileron was used a lot back when a servo cost a fortune . Not worth the agro now as a servos are comparatively much cheaper and one fitted in each wing gives much better control .The linkages in the bell-crank eventually wear causing sloppy ailerons .Even minute amounts of play case sluggish sloppy control .

Hey Ernie,

indeed I have considered that and have now actually gone that way. I initially set it up with a single servo and the bell cranks but couldn't eliminate the slop inherent in the system, as installed. I now have a standard servo in each wing, it was a simple job to fit some servo boxes in place of the cranks. In fact the most difficult bit was matching the exact shade of yellow solartex

I just need to fit a remote glow and the plane will be ready for a test fly.

yes

Dual servos have obvious attraction and are favoured by the majority, but that isn't to say bellcrank operation is a poor relation. If properly installed and maintained it's 100% perfectly adequate - albeit you'd need to set up any diff mechanically, although that's not such a chore

Posted by IanN on 17/08/2014 12:41:31:

Dual servos have obvious attraction and are favoured by the majority, but that isn't to say bellcrank operation is a poor relation. If properly installed and maintained it's 100% perfectly adequate - albeit you'd need to set up any diff mechanically, although that's not such a chore

True, but two servos are much easier to install and require zero maintenance.