BEWARE - BT scam to do with 1603 error

Myron Beaumont

Advert

JohnF

Its hard for me understand what was happening whilst in contact with a "technician"? Lots of funny graphs and gobbledegook and told that all was bad news .Then came the obvious crunch! They COULD fix it for the above price .I got them down to £69 but then terminated the session.

NOW then, MART49 .

I have installed said programme (free version( and nothing seemed to appear to be happening .How wrong i was ,my PC is like a new un ,Thank you so much .I owe you a pint or twosmile Myron

I say it again, you should never trust anyone who can "fix" your computer who cold calls you for the service. If you'd gone ahead with his permission to access your computer,then would be free to upload more viruses and offer to "fix" these as well, as well as accessing your personal information (Paypal passwords, etc) which are stored in the computer.

Now's the best time to empty your cache, for example, if using Opera, go into the top left Opera Icon and clear History and browsing data. Best to do all, then re-enter your passcodes, rather than leave the Auto complete passcode cache full.

Another vote for Malwarebytes. thumbs up

Myron, were you called by this "BT technician", or did you contact them first? It sounds rather like the "Microsoft scam" where you get cold-called by a scammer claiming to be working for Microsoft and telling you that they've detected problems with your PC. They then proceed, if allowed, to show you the event logs (which always have loads of stuff in them that could frighten you into thinking there was a major problem) and then pretend to "fix" the problem and possibly install trackers/loggers etc. on the PC - and charge you for the privilege...

John

I contacted them through the advert on BT heading I get when going to Email. I then was told to establish a rapport with the technician .I have since doubled checked(for free) with"error end" & it showed several problems Have since been on the Malwarebytes site as mentioned checked back on the two sites mention which give various condition scan results even though the only sites Ive been on are the BBC and model flying since the start of all this.

Confused but its better by far

Thanks to you all for your help and advice

Myron

Absolutely shocking Myron !!! I'd phone them back and tell them your going to report them for malpractice. Things like this boil my blood grrrrrr. Any pc problems in future, ask here mate and we will help you and it's for that great price every one loves

Tony

If you click on the start orb, type event viewer in the search box, this will show you all the critical and non- critical events that have occured to your pc.Event Viewer is a nomal tool to assess the state of your pc.It is not a fault and no money needs be spent to correct it!

BobJones2

Thanks .Would you explain what are "the start orb" & " type event viewer in the search box" please .Im not conversant with the language of computers as youve gathered .Now I know how a beginner to modelling feels !

Myron

Woolston Flier

Will try to remember just what &whom I contacted somehow .Im getting even more confused & am worried that someone somewhere will use my debit card details I gave away.dont know

And another thing ,I went on the BT A/C status link as you might do not realising I didnt have one til my partner told me I thought I did have cos my YAHOO mail went to BT I thought !.Credit  where it is due,Up came a DONT GO THERE message from BT ! The plot thickens Eh?

Edited By Myron Beaumont on 20/06/2014 18:45:26

Myron, I would be surprised if it was actually a BT person you were talking to. Have a look at this article that talks about how the "Microsoft scam" I mentioned earlier is evolving into the "BT scam".

I know BT were launching some "tech support" services, and from a quick look on their website they all seem to be monthly subscription services. The business services are slightly more expensive, the "retail" ones work out at £8 or £10 a month with a 3-month minimum.

Myron. As John P says BT don't run a service like that. Theirs is a subscription based service.

Sadly it sounds like you were scammed by a pop up advert on your email. As for the malwarebytes checks. Ignore them for the moment and just check every week.

I would seriously recommend antivirus software too, if you have not already got any installed.

As WF sats contact your bank immediately and stop that card.

• 7 months later...

New scam? had a call today from someone claiming to be from BT saying because of a serious fraud problem my internet would have to be disconnected, was not happy so contacted BT myself who said it was not them. Then had a second call from scamers still claiming to be BT and trying to extract details. The voices on the phone were Indian sounding just like those you get like when reporting a fault.Reported it to Offcom.

Edited By john davies 8 on 11/02/2015 15:12:40

I recently had an e-mail claiming to be from Talk-Talk telling me that they could not get my S.O. payment from the bank and would stop my broadband in two days if I did not confirm my bank details !!.

Rang Talk-Talk help line they said 'no such problem, ignore the e-mail'

Obviously a scam. If anyone asks for bank details to be confirmed, always ring the company concerned direct to check that the message is genuine.

As you say Mowerman we should never give personal details' but do not ring the company back straight away either they now have ways of intercepting your next outgoing call ,use a different method later on. Have had more calls today from them saying "they" were the fraud squad investigating internet fraud.Cheek of it.

Use two email addresses, one for giving out to web sites for registration and one that you ONLY use for official things like Banks etc - So IF an email comes from your bank to the general email address then you KNOW its a scam, if one comes to your secure email then is MIGHT be genuine, but even so NEVER EVER give your banking details to a redirect from an Email - No British or reputable bank (if such a thing exists!) will ever ask you for that kind of information via an email.

If in doubt PHONE the bank first

Never ever do business on the doorstep.......charities, double glazing, solar panels,prisoners just released from jail, tea towels, soldiers on hard times, energy deals etc we've had them all and I don't believe a word. The only exception for me is the Salvation Army in full uniform (helped my dad out after the war and we've never forgot them). I do give to charities but where and when I choose.

Never ever do business on the 'phone from a cold caller. If you didn't need it before they called, you don't need whatever it is they're hawking, particularly the old computer fault scam.

Sounds harsh but as soon as anyone starts their patter, even if they say they're the police, bank or whoever, just interject and say "sorry I never do business on the phone/doorstep" and it immediately puts you in control, then shut the door or put the phone down. Be ready and make it a habit. If it's genuine and important, they'll write or speak to you in the branch in the case of a bank or credit card problem.

Just can't be certain about these things today, hence my zero tolerance.

Edited By Cuban8 on 12/02/2015 16:07:02

Cuban8, good advice. A few years ago I had a doorstepper, claiming to be a prisoner on day-release, selling stuff door to door; I asked for his ID, but he said his mate down the road had it; I bought a T-towel just to get rid of him. The following week I read in the local rag of an elderly lady who had a caller exactly matching the guy who called on me, he pushed passed her and robbed her getting away with her purse and several hundred pounds in cash.