1970's model Help

john Pitcher

old plane_0001 - copy.jpgHi all, I built two of these back in the 70's and for old times sake I would like to build it again. Problem is that in several house moves the plans have gone walk about. I cannot even recall the name of the thing, it was 3 channel with a Merco 35 up front.

If anyone has suggestions or can help I would be most grateful.

Cheers Johnold plane_0002.jpg

Advert

Close Roger but not quite, I think. There's an article by AW here which shows the wing on the Maricardo has a constant chord, rather than a taper and the tailplane is mounted under the fuselage:

I can't come up with anything better, I'm afraid...

Pete

You can see the plan number in Reg's catalogue photo -RC1227. Can they really expect anyone to pay 27.50 pounds for a simple 52 inch plan?

Dont confuse this plan wih Peter Miller's later plan of the same name.

It looks very much like the Ian Peacock Models Miss Tangerine, here's mine about 1979. That looked the same as the Bootlace shown in Ian's posting and is the subject of a previous long-running thread. The designed motor size was a 0.35. Although it is extremely similar, I'm not completely sure though. I've still got this stashed away in the garage roof with an un-run Fox 36X in it. I flew it first with a Fox 40 Schnuerle and it was lethal. Later I tried an OS30 and it was very docile, but under-powered. Never got round to flying it with the 36X, which was probably about right. Perhaps I will some day!Miss Tangerine and Katy, 1981..jpg

On the subject of 1970's models, I was given one about 20 years ago, which has been in the loft since. I only have the fuselage, but would like to rebuild it. I know it was a kit and that it was built probably in the early 70's. It was never finished and I don't think the wing was ever built.

The pictures show what I was given and I don't think the engine has been run in ! It's an Irvine 61. The length is 1200mm (4ft) and the tailplane is 540mm (21ins).

Can anybody help identify it please ?

t 01.jpg

t 02.jpg

t 03.jpg

t 04.jpg

kevinb

Colin

I am not sure either if it is a Bootlace or Tangerine Dream.

My model was sold on a long time back, nor do i have a plan, if I do I do not know where to look.

In detail though there is an obvious lack of elegance from the Ian Peacock design. This is possibly the detail. The most obvious is the UC and lack of spats, but that could be just personal preferences and a off the shelf UC.

Then the turtle deck seems to be stepped, where Ians ran out at the fin TE. He also had a little fillet on the rudder assembly that does not seem to be there. The engine blisters are missing, The canopy was far more elegant.

All in all the detail is wrong, but it could be. Perhaps the biggest clue would be the span,

What ever happened with Ian Peacock, an excellent designer, that certainly influenced my own builds. I also remeber, or so I think, a little biplane called Purple Haze. Hmmm, now where did he go?

The last model looks like a Waterhouse and Eily Supper Fly, but not in GRP, so could it be a clone in shape and then a built up structure?

Edited By Erfolg on 01/07/2014 14:55:23

Thanks Erfolg, but I don't think that's it. I took it to the shop it was bought from (name on radio box) and the owner said he had only been there 35 years and hadn't got a clue what it was. At least that LMS is still going ! Very good they are too.

I have a wing which "sort of fits", but would rather build the correctone than start to modify the fuselage too suit.

kevinb.

Hi Kevin.

The fuselage is from a Masterline Viceroy trainer. The kit came with a pre-built fuselage and veneered foam wings. I think the span was about 65 inches. I bought one of these in1988, when I returned to the hobby.

I hope this helps you.

Luke..

Thanks Luke.

Looks like I got the wrong decade !

If anyone has any photos, or the September 1987 RCM&E magazine (which has the kit revued), is there any chance of you letting me have some more details ?

kevinb.

Edited By kevin b on 01/07/2014 21:13:39

Erfolg, the more I look the more I think that John's model is the Ian Peacock Models Miss Tangerine, but as you say without the moulded cowl cheeks and wheel spats.

I might still have the plan somewhere, I'll have a look.

Ian must still be around, last year he designed a control-liner for the new Aeromodeller, but he must be getting on by now!