Problem with Irvine Z Bend Pliers

I'm just putting my E-Flight Pulse XT25e together and am just about to use my Irvine Z Bend pliers for the first time. I noticed that the supplied pushrods are reasonably thick and did a dry run on some scrap rod of the same thickness. The Z bend appeared as expected but I noticed that the length of the rod that the servo arm would fit (the vertical section) was very short. When I test fitted an arm it was so snug a fit that the arm doesn't lay flat and if screwed back onto the sero would exert an unwanted twisting force.

Does anybody have a similar experience/advice? Maybe I just need a right angle bend and a keeper.

(Sorry, that's a lot of words for a simple question but difficult to explain without a picture.)

Thanks

David

Advert

David, is the vertical section actually vertical ie at 90 degs to the other 2 sections? Does the servo arm actually fit between the 2 horizontal sections? Could you use a thinner section of rod for the Z bend and attach this to the control rod?

Ian

I think I may have solved this by simply fitting a thinner servo arm. The ones that came with the Hitec HS225BBs were a little thicker than others I have. But I still think the tool creates rather a shallow vertical section for anything above a mini sevo arm. Of course I could be doing something wrong!

Cheers

David I've had this problem for years when using 2mm pushrods and I'm rather surprised that as yet there's still no other manufacturer I know of who has rectified this by making a new Z bend pliers to correctly make Z bends to fit standard 2mm pushrods to standard servo arms, surely that's what the majority of modellers use them for ?!

My remedy is to put a slight bend in the rod about 10mm behind the 'Z bend' between the servo and control surface so it doesn't twist the servo arm. Still looks tidy and works for me.

Ronaldo

Don't know my make of z bend pliers, but mine's the same David. Too short a 90 for the servo arms. In the end i had to use long nose pliers to tweek them. Haven't used them for a while now, just stuck in the drawer.

I use small servos quite a lot (9 gram metal geared) The arms are not large enough for 2 mm rods.

I bend Z bends in 18 SWG wire and attach these to 2 mm rods by binding with copper wire and soldering them.

I use the normal Z bend pliers for these.

I also have a supurb set of American Z bend pliers that literarly pull the wire into a Z bend but they only work with 16 SWG or the American equivelent.

Don't know where to get these as mine came from Stu Richmond many, many years ago.

Thanks for all your helpful replies.

My Irvine pliers are the ones with the "navigation pin" which makes it easy to bend at the right length. So it's a pity that they aren't sized just a little larger to fit some of the thicker servo arms. But at least I now know it's not just me, and I've successfully used a thinner arm

Thanks again all.