DSM Saphir

Advert

• 3 months later...

Had two aerostar 62's in 90's - first was reduced to sawdust by my wifes (then girlfriend) mad dog when we were down the pub, second buried itself after radio failure (honest guv). Certainly interested in the aerostar - some unfinished business methinks!! Can you PM me?

Had two aerostar 62's in 90's - first was reduced to sawdust by my wifes (then girlfriend) mad dog when we were down the pub, second buried itself after radio failure (honest guv). Certainly interested in the aerostar - some unfinished business methinks!! Can you PM me?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd bring you up to date with the build and leave you with a query I have.

As usual more details on my website,

Bored holes for the aileron extension wires with a sharpened tube.

Aileron holes cut and lined.

Wings joined by gluing spacers at the tips and these held flat to ensure the tips are parallel. There was no error at the roots. (more details on my website)

Tailplane joined in the same way.

Andy

Undercarriage mounting:

I made a mounting block for the Rhom Air retracts.

Then cut the wings to suit.

Cut with a sharp knife, and the foam picked out. I don't like hot wire cutting in such an area.

The blocks are glued in with Gorilla glue and the remaining foam faced off with balsa / ply.

Andy

Now I have a slight problem, the wing pegs don't line up with the wings properly, when the wings are in the wing seat. As the fuselage was pre built I assume its right, is it?

Wing in seat.

Wing peg missing the wing, I'd have expected this to line up with the leading edge. Should I move the holes. or mount a block on the wing. I'm assuming here that the wing seat is correct as this was pre build by DSM.

Andy

I think that you could block it Andy - face the block with 2mm ply. Alternatively, cut the leading edge away parallel with the fus former and build it back from there. Knowing your standard of building, you would make a good job with both options

Of course, you could also remove a section of former and replace with a correctly cut piece of ply..

Martyn

Andy, I think your first job is to check the incidence relative to the thrustline and tailplane, if the wing seat has been cut wrong then the incidence would be a mile out for that much of a discrepancy. If it looks like you have 1 degree or less incidence then it's about right so bury the pegs into a block covered by the bellypan. What material is the bellypan? Could the dowels be meant to be glued in the front of the pan? On my late Joker there was a ply facing to the balsa pan and that held the dowels secure.