Is there a reliable method gluing canopies to balsa

Mike Hardy

Hi, perhaps some one can help here. I have tried all canopy glue types and they all fail as the ambient temperature rises. I have used: RC modellers Glue, Glue and glaze, Zap goo. All fail. The canopy material is abraded so is the balsa.

I must be doing something wrong - but what.

Mike.canopy glue failure!!.jpg

Thanks guys, I tried all sorts of glues and none seem to work. I like the tiny screw idea, unfortunately the canopy floor is substantially balsa which may mean any screw will not have sufficient bite to overcome canopy movement due to expansion/contraction. The Tucano canopy is quite large.

Mike.

I agree that the F560 canopy glue is the way forward. But you must make sure you clamp/tape/pin/screw/hold it in position for a good 24 hours to set.

If the glue area is not that large some 1/4 balsa triangle stock will help massively

Edited By Jon Harper on 30/07/2014 12:46:55

Trouble with gluing canopies on is if a pilot figure or other detail comes loose, or dirt or oil finds its way in, there's no easy way to gain access without causing serious damage (some of the foam rubber type pilots decompose after a while, and your 'plane looks as if it's inhabited by a Zombiewink)

Small screws look neat neat & are easy to remove if required.

All the glues you mentioned are fine to do the job and never come off, i am sorry it is something your doing! Here is what i do, ensure canopy fits without excessive pressure being required to hold it to the frame, if real pressure is required this is no good as it will cause the canopy to slowly pull away from the glue, de grease both canopy and frame, i use isopropyl, roughen up glue area with 400grit paper and de grease again, add a thin head of rc modellers glue and hold with tape until set (could be a few days) trim canopy tape with trimline, used this on my 30cc capiche with carbon canopy and never budges