Some good full-size news for a change!

Advert

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 01/08/2014 22:34:51:

I wouldn't rush into ownership of a DH88 model David. Beautiful as she is, take it from someone who's had a little experience.

I do enjoy mine every now and again, but it's been a long road.

(Use the forum search box for more info)

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 01/08/2014 22:35:26

Yes, I see those wingtips and know it's prone to tip stalling and probably other difficulties, but you do have to say "ah De Havilland! " David

Posted by David Pearce 4 on 01/08/2014 22:37:28:

Yes, I see those wingtips and know it's prone to tip stalling

"prone" is not really an adequate description in that things case! wink 2

The aerial equivalent of an Alpha Romeo, truly beautiful to look at, but you know its going to break down on the way back from the showroom, if that it, it hasn't sent you into a hedge before that.

Posted by Dave Bran on 02/08/2014 05:55:34:

But if you REALLY must have one.............................

**LINK**

Or one of these:

http://www.tnjmodels.rchomepage.com/tnjdh88.php

I've been looking at this, and some of their other kits, for some time. Better than foam although the HK version is a good price. The TNJ kits look good but of course you get hit by import duty plus a collection fee by the courier.

• 2 weeks later...

Morning one and all, A visit to Old Warden on Tuesday with my grandson we were very lucky to meet one of the engineers working on Alex Henshaws Mew Gull, chattng for a while he very kindly showed us inside said aircraft, i mentioned to him about this post and he informed us that they are now awaiting the return of the certain paperwork and hopefully they will be displaying the Comet and the Mew Gull together in there air raced themed flying display coming up soon, that should be something to see!

Steve

Brilliant news! I'll try to get to one of the Autumn shows and see her fly.

By the way, model DH88's don't have to be tip stally:

http://www.bartonhewsons.me.uk/home/modelflying/scale/cometvideoclip.html

Trevor

Edited By Trevor on 14/08/2014 12:13:32

Hi all. It`s November 1990 and the Mossie`s 50th birthday party at the DH Museum round the M25. Fog has been down on the ground all the way from Somerset and there`s no way the Mossie is going to make it all the way from N Wales. Huge disappointment to all the grown men there. Suddenly, a little red dot appears from the east and George Aird puts on a superb on the deck display with the Comet !! What a fantastic plane and a real show stopper ! Shortly afterwards the Mossie appears on the deck having managed to fly from Wales through the fog or just below it !! Never seen so many old grown men cry !

Ah!! De Havilland !

Colin