Hild Marshonet at 1/5 scale (58

Tim Hooper

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

Martin,

On a model of this size I'm more than content to use ordinary, metal 2mm clevises as rigging connectors

The flying surfaces are now ready for covering.

I've been messing about with the metalwork too. The struts and undercarriage are now equipped with fairings made from 1/64 ply with balsa infill at the front and rear. Once sanded to an aerofoil section and stained, they don't look too bad!

timimg_6376.jpg

No furniture. Ever. angry

Here's the underside of the upper wing showing the conventional aileron linkage, and the interplane strut about to fit into its mount......

img_6388.jpg

.......thus.

img_6389.jpg

The fin is fitted with carbon pegs in the bottom edge, which locate into corresponding holes in the fuselage top deck. I'm not sure whether i'll actually glue the fin in place later or leave it as a removable item. Decisions, decisions.....

img_6391.jpg

The low-profile rudder and elevator servos live in the front end of the boom.

img_6393.jpg

There was no way I could thread all six control wires through a closed boom, so I've left the bottom off for now.

img_6394.jpg

The wires exit the fuselage. No kinks. No tangles.

img_6395.jpg

well I must be slipping, missed this one completely Mr Hooper, Hilda snuck under my radar, but having just read all 5 pages to date I must say you are indeed bonkers, in the best poss way, and the tidiest of builders, could you please make a little error now and again just to make this mere mortal feel better, my weird and wacky project is going very slowly at moment due to me being a very poor draughtsman and doing something silly like trying to do my first ever scratch build, ie from a blank sheet of paper and a few measurements of the real one, at 1/2 scale, jeez you need big bits of paper and lots of pencils/erasers and sharpeners!!!

it will go even slower now I am watching this!!

love it, subscribed thumbs up

chris

Edited By ceejay on 18/12/2014 11:34:00

Posted by Martyn K on 18/12/2014 11:44:15:

Cant wait to see this one fly Tim, it looks like it should be OK although not sure how that boom will survive if there is any whiplash..

Very very nice

M

I think you will find that Boom to be very strong ,

I have built many fuselage in my time using the same technique and found them to be very strong and very ridged yet surprisingly light .

And yes i agree could you not just drop the odd clangor now and again or at lest do a rough job so us mere mortals dont look like amateurs.

Cheers Steve

Thank you all Gents! teeth 2

The trick to producing an immacualte model is to take photos of it in very poor lighting, using a dirty-lensed camera phone. Hides a multitude of sins!

That boom might look a bit skinny, but it actually has a greater cross-section than many a large glider. With a framework of firm 3/16 balsa, skinned in 1/64 ply, it really is remarkably strong. Obviously it's not just butt-jointed to the rear of the pod either; rather it's embedded by a good 3", and enclosed by balsa and ply formers.

I reckon it'll be good enough!

My aim this weekend (given the dodgy weather forecast) is to re-check the CG using my smaller Ian Easton model as a comparison, and then get it weighed, the power output checked and then take some proper 'studio' pics in the attic.

Basically, I want it ready for its maiden flight as soon as the weather allows.

Have a great weekend everybody!

tim

(The trick to producing an immaculate model is to take photos of it in very poor lighting, using a dirty-lensed camera phone. Hides a multitude of sins! )

that's just what I do Tim I've even tried smearing the lens with Vaseline but my models still look second rate sad

hope the maiden goes well when you are able