The Atom Special

Richard Harris

Mike,

I don't think that there are many advantages apart from the obvious like, less blades to make/ balance. In flight, a good set up 2 blader is no harder to fly and I do think they are easier to R.O.G. but there is a little more time needed in setting up, 3 blades is so much easier for the beginner.

Rich

And here is a little more work on my Atom .

atom2.jpg

atom3.jpg

atom1.jpg

I will be just wrapping clear plastic around to make the cockpit hatch as one unit i can not be bothered making a mold for the cockpit . i will try and keep this one as cheep and cheerful as possible as i do not have a great deal of time or funds to throw at this one at the moment.

Steve

Steve,

I like cheap and cheerful mate thumbs up, it's coming along nicely. The universal link works well, I have the same set up on my Little Nellie and it hasn't let me down as yet (famous last words!)

Nigel,

Congratulations on getting your Atom into the air! glad to hear that the Auto G blades work fine, another option for potential builders. Did you just bolt them straight onto the existing plate?

Anyone who is interested, we are having a bit of a get together this coming Sunday (12th) at Old Warden aerodrome from about 9am. If you are building an Atom, fancy having a go at one or just want to pop along for a chat you are all more than welcomethumbs up

Rich

This is the rotor head I made from an old, cutdown, Aeronaut SP400 gearbox:

dsc03115.jpg

I abandoned the idea of creating a mix of Atom and Panther. It was mainly brought about by trying to create a Panther style head with separate roll and pitch controls, but the servo placement was upsetting Richards sleek and simple design too much. So I opted for a home-made T-bar head design instead.

Max.

Hi all

Here is a French Atom !!

I made removable mast , tail and tail plane ; one never knows !!!

THANKS AGAIN to RICH for the plans and the pleasure he gives us building his gyros ; I am a fan and already built a Firefly, panther . I bought the plans of Mantis and RPG to complete the collection

I hope maiden this week-end if weather permits

ALAN : Fast thanks to you !

Best regards from France

Edited By sebrien andre on 07/10/2014 13:23:59

Posted by sebrien andre on 07/10/2014 13:16:11:

20141007_140644.jpg20141007_140621.jpg20141007_140606.jpg

Andre,

Very nice Atom thumbs up let us know how it flies when you get chance?

Tomas,

Mine is just an elongated hole, the photo will explain it far better than I can!

img_4772.jpg

I made it a touch bigger than needed to give a bit of cooling air over the ESC and Lipo.

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 07/10/2014 17:28:54

Hey Andre,

very nice looking Model!

So definitely faster in building the Atom with the Mast and Tail removable!thumbs up

For fixing the Tail to the fuselage it seems you just took the bolts and screwed them through B1 and then into the Tail Booms!? Are you sure that the Balsa of B1 will not break?

Perhaps better to laminate a little Piece of GF Plate onto B1 where the Screws go through it? Just an Idea!

Greetings from Germany

Markus

A question about fixing the triangular fiberglass flex-plate: the HK head has two plates which house the bearings, with the flex-plate sandwiched in between. These plates have three flat sides where the original HK flex-plate hinges were.

I am using a regular propellor adapter to keep the rotor on, and I intend to make similarly sized holding plates. Question is, is it important to have the flat sides and fix them towards the blade roots?

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 07/10/2014 20:52:00

Max,

Yes, it is important to orientate this correctly as per the plan as the triangular plate is small compared to others. We need all of the flex available from this small flapping triangular plate, turning it 60 degrees will stiffen it up, this may well cause it to react differently.

But, if you increase the physical size of the triangle to compensate it should be fine either way.

Rich

Posted by Richard Harris on 05/10/2014 18:45:49:

I tested a 2 blade set up today destined for a new design I have been working on, they create a lot of lift but function fine. About 2 degrees extra rearward tilt and half the throws on the roll are needed, it is a floater!

Rich

Hello Richard,

Two blades rotor is much simpler and easier to equilibrate than the a three blades one, it is a very good option, I am starting to buit the atom special as a first autogiro, do you think it would be more difficult to start using a two blades rotor than a three blades one?

I am curious, which has been the increase in diameter that you have applied?

Miquel Àngel

Miquel,

If this is your first autogyro I would stick with the 3 blades as it is far easier to set up and more forgiving.

I have experimented a lot with 2 blades over the years and as a rough guide a like for like blade should be around 20% extra in length for a 2 blade set up compared to a 3 blade set up.

Rich

TomTom, Eamonn,

Yes, that would work fine. The head would have to be mounted with a rearward tilt of around 5-6 degrees and pitch would have to be controlled via an elevator.

The downside to a roll only head like the one above is it may be a little trickier to ROG because the blades would take longer to spin up. Saying that, I see there is a pre- rotator available to fit it...why did you have to go and show me that head boys! my finger is hovering over the buy it now button! smile p

Rich