The Atom Special

Richard Harris

Advert

Hi ,

A quick question to those in the know .

I noticed that Chris has mounted the head servos at the rear as opposed to the plan showing servo arms at the front of the mast and projecting through the cockpit .

Is there any operational difference question.

P'S i bought some wood to make the blades only to discover it`s 5/16 and not 6mm embarrassed

Steve

Steve,

I have mounted the servos on the front face so that the 2mm wire push rods are in tension when flying as the rotor disc will naturally want to tilt back in flight. If we used the same rods (to compliment the ball joints that come with the HK head) and moved the servos to the rear there is every chance they can compress from the loads exerted on them.

It is just to keep things cheap and simple. But, like Chris in OZ has shown there is no reason why they cant be mounted at the rear. If they are they will have to be stiffened up to stop flexing, I would be very surprised if Chris's push rods are 2mm and would bet they are beefed up in.

Hope this explains?

Rich

Prior to my build I discussed the position of the servos with Rich...and he gave his opinion. I looked around at my models to see what I have done over the years and I found that most had the servos pulling down from the rear, and they are also some of Rich's design. I used 2mm carbon rods on this build simply because they were in my hand at the time I have always considered that there is more chance of the rods bending when pushing" up" compared to pulling "up" because when pulling they are under tension compared to compression....but to be honest ,I don't think that any way is right or wrong for this model . but it did allow the servos to be mounted with out cutting holes in the canopy....and I do consider that to be a plus. When building a model from a plan I believe it is a matter of following the designers basic out line but then making such changes that suit ones particular preferences. Over the years I think I must have built just about all Rich's models....but always slight modifications.......and that what building is all about.

Chris...

Nigel,

I have just seen the photo of your ATOM , very nice!

I hope these photos explain how I secure my canopy? it is very simple.

Added to the front flush with the fuselage side butted up against F4 is a piece of 6mm square balsa. Inserted into this is a piece of piano wire bent into a 'n' shape, this is pushed and glued into the 6mm square balsa.

img_4757.jpg

Inserted and glued into the balsa canopy base are two small magnets, these are off a burnt out brushless motor. They are positioned so that they lie over the piano wire in the fuselage.

img_4758.jpg

Along with the over hang of the canopy it simply locates itself with a snap as the magnets attach to the piano wire.

img_4759.jpg

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 28/09/2014 10:12:33

Deyrick,

It is wise to add cooling holes in any electric powered model, though mine has non I havent as yet had a problem and I abuse mine! Of course I do probably have 'natural' cooling from the gaps in my joints! crook

I have managed to sift through some footage taken a couple of weekends ago.

Here are a pair of ATOM's flying in formation and at the end some really close formation !!!wink 2

Enjoy.....

Rich

Hi chaps, good to see all the Atoms coming together so well. I had a bit of a sort out in the workshop over the weekend and it is fair to say that I have enough projects lined up and on the go to see me through to at least 2016 and beyond! If I am honest with myself I will not get around to the Atom for a long time - if at all. As I thought would happen there seems to be a shortage of the C30 heads, so I will sell mine on for the cost I paid to get it from HK (£9.00) + whatever it costs to post it to you. Just message me and I will pop it in the post to you over the next few days. Best somebody gets some use from it rather than it sit in my 'new parts pending' box doing nothing when there are Atoms waiting to get in the air.

Please note I am a non profit-making organisationsmiley

Cheers, Simon

Deyrick,

I'm sure as Rich states he hasn't had a problem , and with that low wattage draw I can not see it problem , but on my higher wattage fixed wing models I do add cooling, but don't forget for efficient cooling you need an exit about 3 times the inlet area.

Best of luck with your build, I start mine in November., that's my normal start for the winter period..smiley

My atom has no cooling holes in the fuselage to the esc, flights so far seem ok with things only getting slightly warm. I guess the low use of power to fly helps keep things cool..

I have however cut 3 10mm holes in the underside of the cowl to help airflow over the motor can...

Steve

Edited By Steve Jones 2 on 29/09/2014 20:05:17