The Atom Special

Richard Harris

Advert

Gents,

I have now added the pilot figure template PDF, there is a side view for his body and head along with a plan view. Just transfer them onto suitable sized blocks, no point babbling on as Steve has explained how to make him other than the head is held in place with a cocktail stick.

I have drawn  two sizes of pilots, standard and XL, if you want a different size please just ask.

Hope they are of use, PDF added to the bottom of the list HERE

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 22/12/2014 22:44:38

I was a bit worried about flying an autogyro as it all seems a bit scary to me.

I've had a play on Phoenix flight simulator using the supplied Cierva C-30 autogyro. I used the very good advice on flying given earlier in this thread to get the rotors spinning nice and fast, then up she went. Flies really well and I was soon doing low level tight turns and dead-stick landings. Well worth having a dabble if you have access to Phoenix.

Can't wait to try it on the real thing now laugh

Here's a few screen shots:

22-12-2014 19-08-51.jpg

22-12-2014 19-07-57.jpg

22-12-2014 19-06-07.jpg

Posted by Bob Bertram on 23/12/2014 15:45:04:

Steve,

Many thanks once again, all tickety boo now. Just about ready for the maiden once I pluck up the courage and the the wind drops.

Cheers

Bo

Feel the wind not fear the wind cheeky be one with it and just fly, easy with the proliferation of sprouts at this time of year wink

Just bolted on the blades and went outside to test them in the wind. All I can say is WOW! Ok the garden is more or less sheltered but with the occaisional gust up to about 20 knots the blades started to spin up well to the point that I had to hang on quite hard and of course it made that lovely sound. Seemed to pull to the right a bit but it was an exciting moment. Can't wait now for the maiden but it will be in the New Year some time.

Posted by Gary Manuel on 23/12/2014 11:48:54:

I was a bit worried about flying an autogyro as it all seems a bit scary to me.

I've had a play on Phoenix flight simulator using the supplied Cierva C-30 autogyro. I used the very good advice on flying given earlier in this thread to get the rotors spinning nice and fast, then up she went. Flies really well and I was soon doing low level tight turns and dead-stick landings. Well worth having a dabble if you have access to Phoenix.

Can't wait to try it on the real thing now laugh

Here's a few screen shots:

22-12-2014 19-08-51.jpg

22-12-2014 19-07-57.jpg

22-12-2014 19-06-07.jpg

I had a play with that some time back but having upgraded my copy of Phoenix it seems to have disappeared from the list of air craft or can I download it from somewhere and add it in. It was certainly in the earlier versions.

Mike.

I stayed with Phoenix version 4 because at the time of the release of version 5, a lot of people were reporting that it was full of bugs and not as good as v4.

If you are on v5 and your disk is version 4 or older, you might be able to copy the Cierva model directory from the disk onto your computer. If your disk is v5, send me a PM with your email address and I'll attach a copy of the Cierva directory if you would like it.

Directory with the Cierva is something like this:

C:\Program Files\PhoenixRC\resources\objects\aircraft\others

Ok Joe, just for you the 2 blade set up for my Atom... Parts made to the pdf that Rich posted - thank you yes

As you can see the difference in the blade sizes, cord and extra span...

sam_2405.jpg

Head again the HK hub with 1.5mm flex plate

sam_2407.jpg

The finished result - looks quite cool I think and even better than the 3 blade version .... small issue I need to fly it !!

sam_2406.jpg

As I can remove the mast, with the 2 screws I will swap set ups between the 3 and 2 blade head by changing the mast/head assembly. This will allow the 2 blade assembly to have the longer head T bar (not reduced in width). Also I will make the mast slightly shorted and with the same linkages to the servos it will create more back tilt... simple I hopewinkwink

To fly I will just swap the heads, reduce throws a little more and change the battery position for Cog adjustment.. Will let you know if it works surprisesurprise

Steve

Steve,

Looks the business thumbs up , just bare in mind that the two blades spin a little slower and create a bit more lift so you will not need as much power. You will be surprised at how sensitive the blades are compared to 3, just tone it down to suit.

Gary,

I would be interested to know the sim compares to the real thing? it will most certainly help with orientation.

Rich

Posted by Richard Harris on 24/12/2014 13:04:26:

Steve,

Looks the business thumbs up , just bare in mind that the two blades spin a little slower and create a bit more lift so you will not need as much power. You will be surprised at how sensitive the blades are compared to 3, just tone it down to suit.

Gary,

I would be interested to know the sim compares to the real thing? it will most certainly help with orientation.

Rich

Rich,

I'll report back when I've built and flown the real thing. Orientation is definitely an issue - especially if you try to fly it a long way away. This is one thing that's worth learning on the SIM rather than in real life.

I'm expecting the real thing to be a bit harder than the SIM. For example, it's not much harder turning to the right than to the left on the SIM. I expect the real thing to naturally want to turn left.