The Atom Special

Richard Harris

Advert

Not an expert but the battery C rating for me is the 'punch' it has.. Think of a tank of water with an outlet pipe... The larger the pipe the more flow you are will get. The C rating for a given battery size therefore will change the performance. 20c compared with a 35c pack in a the same model will feel like only on half power when you are at full.

I tend to only buy 35c plus packs....

Posted by Steve Jones 2 on 31/12/2014 16:02:46:

Not an expert but the battery C rating for me is the 'punch' it has.. Think of a tank of water with an outlet pipe... The larger the pipe the more flow you are will get. The C rating for a given battery size therefore will change the performance. 20c compared with a 35c pack in a the same model will feel like only on half power when you are at full.

I tend to only buy 35c plus packs....

Thats not to far of the truth Steve but running a battery continuously above 10C will only give you a flight shorter than 6 minutes, hardly worth taking of. However a high C rated battery will give you 2 things at least, 1, less chance of over stretching the pack and 2 as you point out a better 'punch' for want of a better word. Truthfully if you can get a bigger Mah pack in the model then that would be the way to go. And with a C rating double what amps you expect to take out at MAX draw. ie: static test. so on a model drawing 10A from a 1000Mah 3s pack you'll need a min of a 20C pack for safety and from a 2000Mah pack 10C will be safe however the punch will be reduced somewhat possibly, but max power not, Confused.com anyone cheeky

On a different note I made my Atom canopy this evening my 1st ever attempt at this shrinking a pop bottle stuff, it turned out to such a simple procedure even shrinking the bottle into a concave curve, something I thought I'd struggle to do

Edited By Phil Winks on 31/12/2014 17:58:43

Bill,

Make the plug tight into the bottle, the less shrinkage the easier it is. I find beer and cider bottles to be the best beer ..hick!

2 litre bottles are harder to shrink because the Atom plug is relatively small considering. If you can match the tightest part of the curve at the front of the plug with the neck of the bottle which is already has a radius this aids things also.

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 31/12/2014 19:15:18

I added about 4 layers of 3/8" to the bottom of the plug to make it a close fit in the bottle, using a 2000w hot air gun set to approx 3/4 to 7/8 max power it took quite a while to shrink down working slowly all the way round the bottle shrinking it evenly on all sides and at no point did I feel the plug was about to burn or even scorch, once shrunk I used a fresh blade in my no4 scalpel to cut allong the lines of the original plug which was/is 3mm big on all edges

There are some video's of the process kicking around somewhere

Edited By Phil Winks on 31/12/2014 20:00:56

Rich,

After seeing pictures of Little Nell and Rex and the two blade head inspired me to have a go at a spare C30 head I had. Well this is what I finished with, bit of a hybrid by using a Blue Wonder bearing. Only time will tell if it's man enough for the job..

What gap do you recommend between blade root and flex plate washer, is it still 14mm?......Terry...... ..000_0143.jpg