The Atom Special

Richard Harris

Martin,

It is funny you should mention problems with the TP MG90s as I have had a problem over the weekend with what I believe is a faulty servo. One of the head servos out put arm was rotated to it's limit, rather than trying to force it back central by hand and cause damage I turned on my radio. All other servos centralised bar for the one head servo, I waggled the sticks about and all worked bar for the one still stuck. Then all the servos started gittering and my ESC started smoking! that was the end of that. All I can think of is that it had locked and the servo was trying to centralise itself but couldn't stalling it and taking out my ESC.

I need to get some new servos and an ESC, hopefully this will do the trick..old servos will be binned. Think I may well have a couple TP copies though I don't know if there are any differences in appearence?

Rich

Advert

Well I too have a MG90 that I well believe had something to do with my las flight of the alloy verson of my Mantis it had way too much slop yet still functioned but it also locked up in full deflection and had to forced back by hand. I am pulling both and replacing with new.face 5

Bill

SORRY WRONG NUMBER MINE WERE MG946 !!  face 20     way too big for the Atom. Lol.o

Edited By BILL PETTIT on 14/01/2015 15:30:12

Hi Rich, I have a bit of a tale to tell here, some of which has been posted elsewhere.

Some time ago I bought four MG16R servos from Giant Cod. These have a very high spec. and when working are great. However, I had one on airbrakes on a 2m i/c aerobatic model. When I tried to deploy them nothing happened and on landing found that the servo had driven to one end and had a hole burned in the side. The other three were fine so I just put this down to bad luck and since they appeared to be OK got four more. On powering up one did exactly the same so I decided to investigate.

The problem was that the connection to the pot centre is by a supposedly sprung clip, just the same as Hitec use but obviously of inferior quality. If this does not make contact then the servo will carry on driving to destruction and stall which would burn out an ESC.

The 90S ones I now have come from ebay and at £8.99 for four inc. shipping seem a little on the too cheap side.

For all they cost I have ordered two more from HK which should be genuine, just to see if there is any difference.

The Corona ones also ordered should be alright since I have used these before. The Vigors have arrived so that is another option.

I have not yet stripped the iffy one but suspect that the construction may be the same as the 16R`s.

I use MG90 and Mg90s servos in many small models and my smaller autogyro fleet without issues. It's right tho you get what you pay and the prices do vary a lot- does make me wonder the cheaper places

For my Mantis, taking on board what Chris in Aus said about stronger servos than 9g I tracked down his recommended Corona MG 238 ones. These are 4kg pull at 4.8v compared to 2.2kg or 2.5kg for the MG90

Have just ordered some more Corona one from HK International and they are less than £10 each....

Steve

I put in my ESC and battery and ran out of room sill need to add a Reciver, I'm thinking the battery might go good on the belly outside. What is everybody using for a receiver and where are you getting them? I am running low on usable Orange Boxes. Is there something new and improved now days?

Bill

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi Bill not sure what your power set up is here but if like me you've got approx 140w on a 3s (11.1v) you'll not need such a big battery my set up pulls 12A so a 1300mah bty will be running at less than 10c still giving respectable flight times and oodles more space, if your putting anything outside the airframe make it the ESC it needs the cooling more than the battery, Mine is cable tied to the underside of the fuse, also with the servo's inside try fitting the Rx on the outside just above the rudder servo

Edited By Phil Winks on 15/01/2015 20:57:24

Bill, go back to P49 and you will see where I mounted my Orange Rx and satellite, with the ESC Velcroed underneath. This leaves the battery compartment almost completely free. If you are on DSM2 also consider the postage stamp sized caseless Rx from HK. I have found these to have better range to boot.

Just had an email from HK to say that the MG90S servos are not actually in stock in the Euro warehouse even though they stated that they are so this has delayed my order for the Coronas. Can well do without them anyway.

It's good to see different methods of cracking the nut.

Because I still use 35meg I also use a 'V tail' mixer for the head control, this was making inside the fuselage look like a pot of spaghetti, so to alleviate the problem ESC will be under the fuselage attached with Velco, the 'V tail mixer' plus the RX to be fitted aft of the mast above the rudder servo. By adding 4 strips of 1.5mm balsa sheet to the concaved rear section made a nice home for the above, I can finish off with a cover of 0.5mm birch ply. My fuselage is now a battery box.

Just stating making the canopy plug sad

Bill,      I just notice Steve's post . The gap between blade root  and the blue triangle should be 14mm yes 

Terry. . .

Edited By Terry Whiting 1 on 16/01/2015 09:39:43

Tom,

Nice example of your modified Atom, some clever features there. Don't forget that we are hoping to get a few of these Atoms together at the annual RCM&E fly-In in the summer for those who want to and are able to get there.

I have now opened up an ATOM photo gallery HERE as I thought it would be a good idea to see others examples and start to get a real count on just how many superb examples are being built. Some have already got lost in this thread and it would be good to have a gallery, no reason why videos can be added aswell.

Add away gents

Rich

thumbs up

Hi all:

You fellows are correct about the blade placement , the set I have on the atom is a plate from another project with much smaller blades attached just used to show a completed Atom I have to cut the smaller plate for the Atom.

You guys don't let anything slip by do you, That's good it gives everyones maiden a better chance for SUCCESS !

Billthumbs up

atom special 050.jpgatom special 049.jpgatom special 048.jpgatom special 047.jpgatom special 046.jpgatom special 045.jpgatom special 044.jpgatom special 043.jpgatom special 042.jpg

atom special 041.jpg

atom special 040.jpgI said that I may try a micro version of this when the other two were proven but being confined to the shed with the cold weather and not wanting to attempt a large model since I have far too many already I decided to have a go at this.

I scaled it down to 60% with a profile fus. from Depron to suit the surplus indoor gear I have, bar the head servos which I had to buy. Blue Arrow D05010MG, 0.5kg/cm, 5.7gm were chosen (HK,UK,). The motor is a Hacker B10-20L but a C2226 is about the same spec. and 1/3 of the price.

So here it is, 195gm.

atom special 039.jpg

My Atom had its maiden flight today but it was rather short. After hand launching, I didn't seem to have much control and on the downwind leg I chopped the power and landed a bit heavily in the long grass. On investigation, it seems that I had the rudder cables too tight and they had lifted the servo out of its mounting a bit, enough to slacken the cables and have no rudder control. Lesson learnt and no damage done apart from having to re-fix the servo. Even then, the onlookers seemed impressed!

Cheers

Bob

HI Guys

has anyone tried using the hobbyking auto-g blades on the atom?

Durafly? Auto-G Gyrocopter 821mm - Replacement Main Blade (1pcs/bag) (UK Warehouse)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__36764__Durafly_Auto_G_Gyrocopter_821mm_Replacement_Main_Blade_1pcs_bag_UK_Warehouse_.html?strSearch=auto%20gyro%20b

they have heads instock at the moment and would like to get some blades too if they will work

Hi James, this thread seems to have slowed down, it is normally very busy and I am surprised you have not had an answer from a more knowledgeable person by now. Although I have this thread bookmarked, I don't seem to always be getting updates. Not sure what to advise, I have used the AJ Blades 450X44 ones and I think quite a few people are going with wider ones now 450X60. You could always try a PM to Rich Harris.