The Atom Special

Richard Harris

Okay, finished my Atom. I went for a strong red glossy colour and clear gloss for rest. Also the blades are only with clear coat, and red tape at the tips. The rotor head received a bit of silver, also the hub is in chrome. Originally, I wanted to just paint the front red, just like I did with the tail, but the paint was very difficult to apply, and it got underneath the tape I used... just looked messy, that is why I decided to paint the whole fuselage in red, more or less, as a saver. Should be okay, since it is a small model. Turned out alright, I think. Atom Special red

• 5 weeks later...

Dear All, It's been a while since I last posted, but having successfully flown my Atom last week I thought I might 'share'. Our patch at Chobham is somewhat rough so getting the Atom to bounce along the ground has proved quite tricky. To this end I had a go at a hand launch and was surprised at how easily it was. Probably not to be attempted with my Panther though! Anyway, here's some footage - assuming I've done it right.

It was gusting to 15mph, but the Atom seemed to handle it quite well. Thanks again Richard for your time and effort - you really do make a lot of people very happy. Paul.

https://youtu.be/5bVkgLwmBAc

• 1 month later...

Hi there. Inspired by a visit to Alexandra Palace for the London model show back in January, I've spent the last four months building myself an Atom (build log here). I finished it yesterday and now I need to do that flying thing, having never flown an RC model myself before :-|.

I've collated the advice I found in the original article and the pages here in the bullet points below. I would be grateful for any further advice, or corrections to the advice below, before I arrive at the Crash Zone .

• get the machine moving forward on the ground, at no more than walking pace with the head pulled back, to allow the rotors to spin up to speed,
  • the rotors are spinning sufficiently fast when they make a "sort of whistling" sound,
  • once they make that sound, add more throttle to achieve jogging pace and the tail should rise,
  • if the machine falls to the left instead, the rotors weren't rotating fast enough,
  • let the machine hop and adjust the trimmers on the sender unit until it flies true,
  • once trimmed, start again and this time add more throttle once the tail rises; the machine should become airborne,
  • get more lift by applying more throttle, rather than by pulling back on the rotors (which tends to act like a brake),
  • it may be necessary to apply rudder to make a sufficiently tight turn.

Rob

Rob,

If you have never built a model before you need to give yourself a pat on the back, your build block is excellent too.

Not wanting to put a dampener on things it reads to me ( and please correct me if I'm wrong?) that you have never flown any kind of RC flying machine? If this is correct I would strongly advise to pop to your local flying club and get advice on learning how to fly before even contemplating on going out alone. If you have no flight experience it will end in tears.

You are of course always welcome to bring your creation along to one of our autogyro Fly-Ins through the year to which we would happily get it in the air and trimmed for you and at least guide you on the directions you can take. There is a separate thread listed in the autogyro section with dates, we are about 3-4 weeks away from our main get together, the info should be printed in the next issue of RCM&E if you are interested in popping along?

Rich

I spent 6 months building a 1/6th scale Piper Cub from a kit back in 1996 but it was only ever flown twice, by the helpful gentleman from the local RC flying club who lives on my street. I decided it wasn't for me, too stressful, and so I've never personally flown an RC machine.

I'm kinda allergic to clubs (I prefer to learn by my own mistakes) but, on the other hand, the idea of some experts being around to prevent the inevitable crash is somewhat attractive. Where/when would the main get together be likely to be? Is that Winterton 23rd to 25th?

Edited By Rob Meades on 06/06/2017 22:58:31

• 5 months later...

Can anyone suggest how I can get hold of a copy of the Atom Special autogyro plan which was issued as a freebie with the RCM&E Autumn 2014 Special magazine in support of the quick-build article featured in that issue. Unfortunately, I didn't keep my copy of the plan at the time but now, some 3 years on, I'm interested in tackling the build. The magazine puiblishers (MyTimeMedia) tell me that they can only handle such requests going back 6 months. They suggested I try Amazon or E-bay but unfortunately, the Autumns 2014 magazine + associated free plan does not seem to be currently available through either of these sources, although many other issues are. Anyone got any other ideas? I still have my copy of the magazine in question - it's just the Atom Special plan I'm after.

Steve - My goodness, that's very good of you - many thanks. I'm quite happy to reimburse you for printing & P&P costs by say cheque if you care to give me your address. Alternatively, I can make a Christmas donation to a charity of your choice. My address is:

The Nest

South Town Road

Medstead

Alton

Hants GU34 5ES

David

PS According to local legend, my house is made of leaves & twigs – but I’m glad to say that there is plenty of space for my large model-making room!

Steve J 2 - The plan arrived in yesterday morning’s post. Very many thanks indeed - much appreciated.>>

I have no previous experience of building or flying autogiros, only sizeable fixed wing ic models and a couple of small indoor electric ones (Parkzone Night Vapor and a mini helicopter). I note the Hobby King C30 head (an obvious first choice of head unit for the Atom as it is part of the original Richard Harris design) is once again out of stock, both on the HK and coolwind websites. Could this still be the situation in several months’ time I wonder? >>

In case of long delays with the C30 becoming available again, can anyone advise me what are the best tried and tested commercially-available alternative in-stock head units for the Atom - incorporating roll and pitch, and not just roll which would require designing in an elevator (too radical for me I think as I’m new to autogiros). >>

I have read through this long thread a couple of times and note (with my head spinning) that there is passing reference to one or two commercial options mentioned including a laser cut wooden set of head parts (e.g. ref. R Harris on page 11) – but where can the latter be obtained and are there any instructions as to how to put the bits and pieces together and what bolts to use, etc? >>

Also, now I have the plans, clearly I can cut my own wooden parts for the basic model but, out of interest, where can the set of laser cut parts be purchased if required, as illustrated for example, on page 67? And, is a pre-formed u/c available anywhere? I see on page 9 that there is mention of an Atom wood pack including fibreglass head plate and pre-formed u/c but who sells this pack nowadays?>>

Sorry if I’m going over old ground which I’ve missed in the thread but would appreciate advice.>>

David H

>>

Martin M - Thanks for your reply. I have been able to access your 52 Atom Special photos by simply clicking on '895 photos' below your name/photo of yourself and going to the top of page 3, Looking at the ones showing a close-up of your home-made rotor heads, it looks as though pitch control is via a brass hinge parallel with the line of the fuselage whereas roll control at 90 degrees would seem to be below this via the lowest bolt which is connected through the top of the mast (rather than a separate rotating link above a rigid connection to the mast, as in the Hobby King C30 rotor head design). Have I got this right?

• 4 months later...

help required please.I have the autumn special which includes the a4 drawings. 2014 is a long time ago so can someone please tell me if there was a plan sheet included? I tend to remove ALL plan sheets and file them in the w/shop.cant find this one. I have just started "hoppity" an aeromodelller control line for 049. but would like to build this one. also i dont like electrikery. can i fit an 049 with servo operated fuel cut off? any help appreciated please