Red Bull Air Race Finals Sunday 17 August 2014 at Ascot.

Colin Leighfield

dsc_0212.jpgdsc_0263.jpgdsc_0295.jpgdsc_0313.jpgdsc_0322.jpgdsc_0351.jpgdsc_0356.jpgdsc_0378.jpgdsc_0396.jpgdsc_0417.jpgdsc_0455.jpgdsc_0683.jpgdsc_0689.jpgdsc_0699.jpgdsc_0711.jpgdsc_0727.jpgdsc_0761.jpgdsc_0770.jpgdsc_0794.jpgdsc_0802.jpgdsc_0807.jpgdsc_0812.jpgdsc_0816.jpgdsc_0821.jpgThis was brilliant. 12 competitors to go through heats, semi-final and final. Supported by the Red Arrows (just a fly-past), an incredible display by a Chinook, spine-tingling demo by a Spitfire IX and an amazing show by the Stearman wing-walkers, heart-stopping! In the races Paul Bonhomme and Nigel Lamb just scraped through into the semi-finals, but then came good and won the finals with Bonhomme first, Lamb second, Ivanov (France) third and Dolderer (Germany) fourth. Doing 270 mph at times and Nigel Lamb pulling up to 9.2g, this is a real thrill and I'd recommend anyone who hasn't watched it to go if they get the chance.dsc_0838.jpg

Advert

Thanks for posting the pics and the info. Ascot isn't far from me and I had considered going. But remembering the disastrous attempt at holding the event at Longleat in 2006 I was concerned I'd have spent most of the day sitting in a traffic jam...

However I did watch the race video yesterday evening on the RB website - it looked excellent. And as Colin said, the Chinnook display can be pretty spectacular. I saw one put through its paces at the Sunderland airshow. We've probably all seen the pictures of Chinnooks pointing vertically up or down - like Colin's first pic - but it looks even more amazing in real life.

Cheers John and Jo. I was lucky enough to get a lot of good pictures and I thought that some of our pals on here would like to see a few of them. As Jon says with the Chinook, when you see it in real life it takes some believing! That was true of the racing as well and I have to say that those girls on top of the Stearmans have my maximum respect.

Being an aviation buff for all of my life, I really have tried to get into Redbull air racing but to no avail. Yes, it looks spectacular and the piloting skills are breathtaking, but it's just not something that catches my attention for anything more than ten minutes. Could it all be a bit samey? Funny thing is that I have been following and enjoying the Speedway championships on Eurosport, which although spectacular is definitely quite samey! indecision

Perhaps if they had more than one 'plane on the course at one time?.............only kidding!

Edited By Cuban8 on 19/08/2014 12:24:03

It is the same with any "track sport" I suppose in which all competitors repeat the same routine ad-infitum. F1 is probably the worst for that but technically interesting, MotoGP is more dynamic because it's more like flying in two dimensions (and I like bikes)!

However I never get tired of watching aeroplanes and I think Red Bull is brilliantly done, the simultaneous on-screen presentation of action in the cockpit, speeds, "g" forces etc. all in a tight time scale never gives me a chance to get bored. In fact it's all over very quickly and my mind is racing to keep up. My admiration for these guys is immense, the combination of personal skill, cool brain and immaculate judgement that they must possess puts them head and shoulders above plebs like me.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...