Mass Build 2015

• 4 weeks later...

Uh! what! Is it spring already? Rubbing my eyes, yes it looks like I'm slowly coming out of Mass Build hibernation.

It's the Atom Special wots dun it guv.

As soon as I looked at the simple plans I started getting customisation ideas so I've voted and (provided a problem I have with some of my fingers is resolved) I'm in.

Looking forward to Greeacres 2015 already smiley.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to take part in this. I'm new to the hobby of flying and would like to experiment with the building side of the hobby. I feel I can't really vote as I don't know what is a good 1st build model. I'm up for anything. Ive looked at plans before that came free with a couple of mags but couldn't make head nor tail of them. So am definitely to learn.

Posted by Craig thomas 1 on 09/11/2014 21:15:43:

I'd like to take part in this. I'm new to the hobby of flying and would like to experiment with the building side of the hobby. I feel I can't really vote as I don't know what is a good 1st build model. I'm up for anything. Ive looked at plans before that came free with a couple of mags but couldn't make head nor tail of them. So am definitely to learn.

Hi Craig (again lol) I've answered your post on the 1st stage voting chat thread and I for 1 would love to encourage you to get stuck in and have a go, when it comes to voting it really doesn't matter if "a perfect for a novice flyer" model gets chosen, as if your in a club there is a good chance you'll be learning on one form of trainer or another already and whatever is chosen will make a good follow on model at least, case in point last year we made the Nigel Hawes 48" Tucano, not an A test candidate at all, and I had only just returned to the hobby after a while away but 18 months on with my A test under my belt, and its one of the models I take up the field most times

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone explain to me what the essence of a "Mass Build" is? Is it a get together and everybody building the same model in a limited timespan? Just building the chosen model(s) and turning up for a mass fly-in?

I have been browsing these Mass Build threads and I have not found the answer yet, other than that indeed a mass fly-in is involved at the Greenacres event.

I live abroad, but if it is fun I might just plan a holiday in the UK around that time.

Max.

Max the essence of the mass build has been to encourage those who have never built from plans (scratch) to get involved in, what to many, is an essential part of the hobby. These may be experienced flyers who have only ever used RTF and ARTF models in the past, as much as it may be those new to the hobby who feel building is an avenue they would like to explore but lack the confidence to go it alone. With more able and experienced builders taking the lead and using photo's and text, and occasionally video to show the various techniques and skills required.

The get together at Greenacres in June is a by product, and by no means an essential part, of the project, That said it is tremendous fun and a great chance to see some of the models in the flesh, meet the friends you've made online, and the atmosphere is good and relaxed with superb flying facilities, though the public toilet facilities left a little to be desired last year, maybe the local council will come good and update the facility for this year

Ok Phil, I am getting it. So I guess Rich Harris' "Atom Special"-thread over in the Autogyros section is more or less what it is about, maybe with a few novice builders joining that thread. No particular dates or timespans involved.

I guess I already took part in next year's Mass Build without knowing it! laugh

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 19/11/2014 19:21:01