Mass Build 2015

Give it time and the posts will keep coming hopefully. I agree on the Biplane possibility and also like the ideas of a vintage of some sort. Not fussed on IC or elec......

Prefer a traditional build with wood rather that Foam or depron....Never tried that plus newbies might be put off on that choice of material !

Jamie

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 12/09/2014 21:51:20:

Going well - some interest. Let's see if we can get some more. In my experience only about half of us who say we're going to do it actually do wink 2 So we need a good body of us in at this stage.

At this stage it really is only a registration of possible interest subject to the final model selection. We're just too varied a bunch to find an option that will hold it's appeal to a wide audience.

Maybe broader subject choice would help, eg biplanes or a single designer (Boddo, Miller etc) or a single decade. This could attract more participants by giving a greater range of model choice available within any one category while keeping a common theme. Last year worked quite well with several fixed options, but I wonder if the vintage build did better with it's more open requirements?

John, I was only present on Saturday. To the best of my memory i only remember 3, that is including my model. The one PC I remember was acid yellow. Not that it matters.Swarms of those DFs though.

I would just emphasis a good fun day,

There was one startling moment, when two Dawn Flyers taxi back to the flight line, from opposite directions, collided at my feet.

A major plus, was being able to get information on the build of similar models, discuss concerns, consider the various approaches and solutions adopted by others. Far more interesting than i could have ever envisaged.

I personally would like to build the EPP Ultimate, free plan, by Foamy Dave. If only a source for the material required could be sourced. That is if it were to be picked

I will try to do it this year, so long the work and the family leave me some free time for building.

I'm more a traditional builder, i.e. balsa, but I have worked depron a couple of times as well.

If the latter is the case, I would suggest the Polaris, a depron version of Laddie Mikulasko's North Star. Plans are available for free here, (although a donation is "suggested"...)The building can be easy and the powertrain is not expensive, and although it's mainly designed for electric, a little .10 or .15 will probably do the job...

Alejandro

Posted by reg shaw on 12/09/2014 21:42:51:

I'd quite like to join in, something vintage or 1/8th scale 1930's civilian or summat, leccy or Laser 75 sized.

Any ideas?

Ian.

I like the idea of something with 30s styling. Inspired by the golden Age racers but not scale. How about Peter Miller's "Miss Lizzy". It looks great in 1930s style colour schemes, is a traditional build and the plan is available. Although IC it should be easy to convert to electric. The original RCME often appears on Ebay with the plan and build article.

David

Edited By David Pearce 4 on 13/09/2014 10:02:12

If the object of the Mass Build, apart from having fun, is surely to get people building, in which case I think a variety of designs (perhaps 3?) is likely to attract the greatest participation. The mass build model should appeal to both the nubie and experience builder and cater for different building techniques and flying styles which why I think more than one design should be involved.

I am a great fan of Peter Miller's designs and have just started one of these. The Alley Cat was a free plan in the February RCMW (back numbers still available). It is a very quick build, flys well apparently and is my reintroduction to oily flying after many years of clean electric.

Another suggestion for vintage fanciers is the Mam'selle 52, Ray Wood's enlargement of Vic Smeed's classic old timer which was a free plan in the June 2003 RCM&E. Another model on my 'must build sometime' list! Here

Why should the mass build be limited to singles too when an electric twin can be so simple and reliable? As a suggestion what about the Tony Nijhuis 46in De Havilland Mosquito, a free plan in the June 2005 RCM&E? It featured all sheet wing construction and looks very easy to build. Tony has an updated BL/LiPo set up on his web site. Here

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 13/09/2014 10:42:54

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 13/09/2014 10:46:10

I personally would like something in Deron or EPP, the materials of the future. On the other hand, many if not most modellers will not touch their ilk.

I would like something that builds quick, like the Turcarno by NH, that is a plank, just because it should be a quick build and I am at present less than convinced that planks with taper will not tips stall, I know they stall at a higher airspeed, yet would enjoy playing about. Ok, that is my reasons, yet many others built shed loads of PCs last year, just a pity to so few turned up at Greenacres.

So are the traditional builds out of the running then, well, I was surprised that a squadron of the things turned up at Greenacres. So ugly, why bother I thought, if i was 100m back and squinting, it could have been a early Fokker Eindecker or other model. Dam, they were popular though, hmm, why not a stand of E1? Which causes me to think that something along the lines of a model paying homage to the "Golden Age of Air Racing", like the PM model, may not get many built, but they will be at Greenacres, with finished models, pushing the others out of the picture, by their shear volume.

In my opinion, last years formula worked, the winner of the most votes, did not seem to be the most built. On that basis, this re-enforces the validity of the concept, as the 2nd or 3rd place model could be the most numerous actually built and flown at Greenacres, whilst the rest of get to build our favourite and still be welcomed. Even if that means there are are only 2 of us.crying 2

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 13/09/2014 11:33:33

A purely personal opinion but while I was OK with more than one model last year I came to the eventual conclusion that 5 was too many. In reality very few Barnstormers or Mini Tyros were actually built and I'm not aware of any Tinkers being built at all. The dominant models were the Dawn Flyer and the Mini Jazz, with fair sprinkling of Pushy Cats added in.

So, whatever we do I think 5 is too many,

Having one models selected does have advantages. Everyone involved feels much more part of a "building community" and it very much encourages the more experienced to "go the extra mile" and incorporate something different or novel which is always fun.

But it has one major disadvantage - we don't all like the same type of model! If the Dawn Flyer had been the only model last year I doubt that many Mini Jazz or PC builders would have made one. And the converse is also true.

So, how about this for a suggestion. We have two classes - a "Sports class" and a "Aerobatic" class. We can interpret those names pretty liberally, but basically: the "Sports" is for your everyday general models, can be semi scale or not, singles or twins, period or modern, but they are your basic "flys well R/C aeroplane". The DF and the Barnstormer would have fitted in here. The "aerobatic" is for your faster or aerobatic/3D type models so the Mini Jazz and the PC would fit in there.

We ask for nominations in each class, have a vote for each class and announce one winner in each class. That hopefully will appeal to a wider group whilst at the same time achieving something of the "focussed" feeling of a one model Mass Build.

What do we think?

BEB

I've used balsa, now, for over 50 years but have never used depron and have never built a delta wing - well, not since a Jetex thing circa 1959 - and would like to.

Clearly, multiple choice is the way to go, to ensure wider support, so I wonder, is there a "jet" design that might be built in depron OR balsa, with perhaps even a semi-PSS version to use off the slope? The choice, therefore, being across materials, rather than design.

A bit against the flow, I know, but to my credit, I will point out that I have abstained in "The Scottish Thread".

John

I would also like to join in this time and also get to Greenacres for the first time (SWMBO booked a holiday over that weekend without consultation, but things will be much more carefully scrutinised this time).

I would want to build for I/c rather than electric, but would go electric for a twin, and would prefer something scale-ish.

Edited By David P Williams on 13/09/2014 12:27:56

Looking at the differing opinions I think it's unlikely that one design will suit all, although I agree that too many will dilute the effort. I wonder if the best arrangement would be a choice from one of the following three:

1. A single engined sport design for IC or electric

2. An electric twin

3. A depron/EPO design.

That may be too many but covers a lot of the above suggestions

David

I like the 1930's racer style idea, how about freedom to go for anything from this era including your own take on the theme and give scope to a future design for publication. Any size, any power source, plenty of designs around for those wanting to select and lots of variety for those who have an ilk to do there own take.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 13/09/2014 11:30:50:

A purely personal opinion but while I was OK with more than one model last year I came to the eventual conclusion that 5 was too many. In reality very few Barnstormers or Mini Tyros were actually built and I'm not aware of any Tinkers being built at all. The dominant models were the Dawn Flyer and the Mini Jazz, with fair sprinkling of Pushy Cats added in.

So, whatever we do I think 5 is too many,

Having one models selected does have advantages. Everyone involved feels much more part of a "building community" and it very much encourages the more experienced to "go the extra mile" and incorporate something different or novel which is always fun.

But it has one major disadvantage - we don't all like the same type of model! If the Dawn Flyer had been the only model last year I doubt that many Mini Jazz or PC builders would have made one. And the converse is also true.

So, how about this for a suggestion. We have two classes - a "Sports class" and a "Aerobatic" class. We can interpret those names pretty liberally, but basically: the "Sports" is for your everyday general models, can be semi scale or not, singles or twins, period or modern, but they are your basic "flys well R/C aeroplane". The DF and the Barnstormer would have fitted in here. The "aerobatic" is for your faster or aerobatic/3D type models so the Mini Jazz and the PC would fit in there.

We ask for nominations in each class, have a vote for each class and announce one winner in each class. That hopefully will appeal to a wider group whilst at the same time achieving something of the "focussed" feeling of a one model Mass Build.

What do we think?

BEB

I like the idea of this Beb but like some other people have mentioned, a catagorie of glider/pss thrown in. Maybe a 3rd section for the glider/ slope enthusiasts would be a consideration.....Up till now there isn't really an oppertunity for this and think a lot of people may second me on this....but maybe I'm wrong lol

Just a reminder folks - this isn't about nominating specific models - its about people stating if they are interested or not. We will all have a full opportunity to discuss the pros and cons of various nominations in a later thread - provided there is evidence of enough interest at this stage!

BEB