Mass Build 2015

Hi Guys,

we could really do with gauging the interest in taking part this year. I'm a bit concerned that the Chipmunk build might deplete our numbers a bit.

So, just for those new to the idea - for the last 4 years we have run a "Mass Build". The idea is to encourage those who perhaps have a hankering to try building a model, but are a bit daunted that they might not get the support they need. The model is built by a mixed group of experienced and new builders with the newbies benefiting from example build blogs and tips from the "old hands". It works well and several people have successfully achieved and flown their first "plan build" this way.

So, we take nominations to start with - anyone can nominate a model, then we have a voting system to select one (or last year 5!) finalists. Nominations need to be sensible - remember the idea is to encourage new builders so a Brian Taylor Mosquito isn't really in the spirit of the thing! It needs to be:

1. Capable of being built in IC or electric versions.

2. A reasonably cheap build that won't require large amounts of exotic materials.

3. Simple enough to be built by a first timer - with help and guidance.

At the end we try to have a Mass Fly of the models at Greenacres for a bit of added fun.

So - I'd suggest no nominations yet let's just get a handle on how many people might be interested. If you think this could be for you - be you experienced or first-time builder - please post below.

BEB

Hi BEB, I will try and join in too. The Chipmunk is a longer term build so something light hearted might fit in alongside. I still have a a set of Tinker parts and a brand new PAW so something that would fit in would be nice, perhaps revisit the vintage models that got blown out by the weather? Then you could crack on with the Elf?

Cheers

Danny

Last years multiple choice was a great idea.

How about something similar, say any plan from a specific defunct kit manufacturer. Most of the old plans are freely available and many can be obtained as short / part kits. That would cater for most styles of build. It would also allow for c/l freaks and glider guiders.

The obvious ones that spring to mind are KeilKraft, Veron and Frog. You could ask for nominations from a specific manufacturer and then vote on a short list to cover the various types. Again, scale and propulsion method can be decided by the builder.

smiley

Posted by David Pearce 4 on 12/09/2014 18:42:45:

Can I ask what may be a naive question. I presume the nominations are drawn from the RCME plans service? Also is it required that a wood pack is available?

My first build (since returning to the hobby), an electrified Magnatilla, is nearing completion and I would like to participate.

David

No and no David. What folks nominate and choose to build is up to them and can be from anywhere whether parts are available or not. One of this year's models, the Pushycat, is a Traplet plan.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 12/09/2014 19:51:01

The mass build brought up a surprise for me.

That surprise was that I was absolutely convinced that PCs would be the most numerous at Greeacres. In actuality, just a handful.

Where as a faux WW1 type model the "Dawn Flyer" was present in great numbers. I would say a builders model, of some experience, with its triangular cross section and girder constructed model.

I did not see that one coming.

I personally might fancy say a foamy such as the Cutlass that NH promises, or perhaps the NH Cando. Something along the simple, cheap, lines, But I an reminded that the "Dawn Flyer" was not at all simple, and probably the most successfully by appearance at Greenacres standard.

Going well - some interest. Let's see if we can get some more. In my experience only about half of us who say we're going to do it actually do wink 2 So we need a good body of us in at this stage.

I've modified the sub-title of this thead (hope you don't mind John!) to better reflect its role.

So if your interested - or if you have any questions about the Mass Build - now's the time to throw your hat into the ring.

BEB