bmfa b test

Richie P

Advert

A bit of advise that I was given. The instructor will want to see you putting in Rudder/Elevator/Throttle stick corrections, so anything that will roll axially on aileron only is probably not a good idea.

Our clubs instructor took his 'B' using a Boomerang. More than adequate for the job. As it has been said, you need to be confident in your model.

Martyn

Hi brian i was first told that foamies were not allowed but it seams they are so as you say my acromaster should be fine if the wot4 can be used then i dont see why not. Iam at our fiels now so i'am going to use the acromaster and the routine needed and there's a stiff breeze so lets get started
cheers butty

Hi Richie

Your approach sounds fine. I was not aware of your flying experience hence my comments before. I have to say that if it were my choice I would use the acrowot and not the wot4. The wot4 will do all you ask of it but having owned both I think the acrowot has the edge as I found it more fun to fly and looks better! the new ARTF one is good as well when teamed up with a nice 4 stroke. I test flew one last weekend for someone and apart from some excessive rates flew nicely

Hi again jon to be fair i think the wot4 should not be used as i think its such an easy plane to fly makes the test easy and i'am not looking for that i want a plane that you need to work with and improve your skills. Looking at the routine itsjust an a test flown with all the rough edges improved on with a couple of extras thrown in. I think the wot4 can mask little problems you may have in you're flying(thats my personal opinion) so i dont think it will make you a better flyer so iam going down the road with somthing a bit moore challenging that will also improve my flying

Not a problem mate nothing negative at all i value all comments just flew my acromaster in quite strong wind and its all over the place very hard to keep a smooth routine so need to go bigger with a bit moore weight a friend of mine has just flown the hanger 9 pulse 60 and there was quite a difference i can see why they go for the pattern type. I thought the weight limit was 2kg

I actually took my A and B with electric models , and at that stage I flew more IC, I chose electric planes to reduce the affect of weather on the carb settings ! The response from a leccy motor is always perfect , sometimes my IC engines do suffer especially after the 3 turn spin ,

The A was with a "typical " high wing trainer tric uc, which I normally used as a camera plane , cos its slow and stable .

The B was done with a much modified Brio , which came in over the 1kilo point , just ! but playing with thrust lines , CG along with a very slight bit of rudder , it was a cracker , In the slowish rolls you need a bit of elevator and rudder but only enough to kid the examiner that you know what you are doing ! ie a bit of slight exaggeration will help.

I got told off for over "correcting"

cheers

Posted by Martyn K on 23/09/2014 11:06:04:

A bit of advise that I was given. The instructor will want to see you putting in Rudder/Elevator/Throttle stick corrections, so anything that will roll axially on aileron only is probably not a good idea.

While use of the rudder in the rolls will undeniably create a good impression, there is no requirement for a slow roll and a non-axial roll should pass the test as long as the manoeuvre doesn't radically depart from its line. Typically, this means timing elevator to avoid a nose drop while inverted and applying/removing it appropriately to avoid screwing off line.

As an examiner, I do have reservations about someone taking the test with a lightweight model which is totally unrepresentative of the characteristics of a bigger and faster model. However, although I wouldn't encourage someone to use one, I cannot refuse to pass a candidate if he chooses to use any model over the minimum weight and demonstrates the requirements well.

The B (and the A) are not purely tests of flying skill and I would want to be satisfied that a candidate had the necessary appreciation of the differences in flying models with higher wing loadings and inertia so would be looking for evidence of excellent control and accuracy during the flying test and awareness of the issues during the questions.

Aha, I do like your post Martin "examiner will want to see you use throttle, rudder, elevator".

He will do, you have to take off, land, loop, bunt, stall turn etc, got to use them for these. Rolls I agree entirely.

The lightweight model comment, I tend to agree but I would pass a well flown test done with a Tutor 40. Do we need a weight division in the test ?

John

yes I passed both , and I have 12 4 stroke powered aircraft , the Cap 21 has just had an ASP 52 carb fitted to the OS48 and my son did his B on that , and got The Perfect !0 comment !.

Its good to havean examiner who knows you and has seen you fly other aircraft so actually knows how you conduct yourself when not under exam pressure !

I didnt , I had to Import one , it happened that he was the best guy you could wish for , and Brian was his name

cheers

I passed my 'B' with a Wot4. It is an great model for the test and a now a great winter hack. I'd also second the advice about reading the BMFA examiner's notes. They are probably the single most helpful thing you can read in preparing for a B.

As others have suggested a good club examiner should be willing to help you to prepare, and I went through a number of 'dummy' tests with one of ours so that he could tell me what I needed to work on.

I now fly a small pattern plane quite a lot [Monolog 400] and I've often thought that it would make a super airframe to take a 'B' test on.

There is not really any special airframe for a 'B.' A decent trainer would do the schedule. An ARTF wot 4, or a Foamy Wot4 would cope fine too. You could do it with any reasonable sport airframe... and its been done with pattern ships and a Scale Mustang at our club.

If you are going to spend a lot of time practicing and flying it.... what do you fancy doing it with?

Hi graham this afternoon a friend of mine flew his hanger 9 puls 60 then my acromaster and there was no comparison the acromaster came nowhere near the puls60 and that was all down to the wind on a good day the acromaster would do fine so i'am going up a scale or to. To what i still dont know. Iam lucky enough to have two examiners in our club so that in it self will calm the nerves when iam ready