Lamb & Chippys

A.A. Barry

chipmung engine bay 002.jpgToday I made a start on the engine bay, drilled the mounting holes, then decided an onboard glow was the "go" so a 1.2v battery had to go in, then the Thr servo was mounted, now I've got any engine bay, full of wires and "stuff", not all done yet, oh and a place for the exhaust to exit,I might screw a baffle over the techy bits so as not to cook em, ummm 1 idea leads to another frown

Baaa

chipmung engine bay 001.jpg

Yes Danny, they are H/K ones, fortunately they come apart so there is no hassle getting them into a lathe, 4mm drill,.There is a lot of "meat" up there and I made them 15mm shorter, the plug will spin inside the outer tube if ya cut them down before drilling, but once the grub screws are in place no problems

I just used some Loctite thread locker to reassemble the plug, still waiting for that to dry, yes it's winter time up there hey... brrr..brrrr

B

Ahh that's good to hear Barry. I spotted there was plenty of meat, my worry is whether the tapped legs will have enough strength, are you tapping a coarse or fine thread and what size grub? Sorry lots of questions, I am not very skilled in metal work, need more practice

One thing John Ranson taught me though, if you are drilling oleos for stubs, drill the hole undersize then take some scrap of the same piano wire you are using for the stubs, slit the tip lengthwise, about 1/4 inch is enough, to make a primitive reamer. Works a treat to get an exact fitting hole

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 13/02/2015 09:40:06

Ahhh that's a good tip Danny, I'll be using 4 mm grub screws, there is 2 lines of thought about thread pitch, depending on the available work meat, for steel a courser pitch is fine, in Ali, a finer thread is better, but in our case we dont have a lot of meat to play with, so a course pitch will not give ya many threads in the metal, hence a finer one is better, it really is a matter of choice.. (qualified guess) dont know

I try to keep all my hardware uniform

Baaa

Edited By A.A. Barry on 13/02/2015 10:01:02

chipmunk canopy 003.jpgchipmunk canopy 002.jpgOk here is the out come of the painting process, canopy masked of and sprayed, after I had  cut away the masking tape from the windows and frame work......when it was dry I peeled of the remainder tape and......jobs a goodun,smiley I'll wait until the paint gets really hard before I glue it down and mess with it any further, Yet to paint the blue flash down the side so that will be nextindecision

Baaa

chipmunk canopy 001.jpg

Edited By A.A. Barry on 19/02/2015 02:30:52

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...