MFA and Precedent kits of the 80'' & 90's

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum, actually, this is my first post, so please forgive me if I get it wrong...

I'm interested in your opinions and experience in the old MFA and Precedent kits. You know the ones I'm talking about...

MFA; Yamamoto, Graduate, Golden Eagle, Magic Fly, Hummingbird, Islander, High Sierra

Precedent; Hi-Boy, Hi-Boy Turbo, Fly-boy, Lo-boy,Bi-Fly 25, Bi-Fly 40, 1/4 Scale Aeronica, Hi-Fly, Elecctra-fly, T180. I understand that SLEC still produce the Stampe, T240 and Fun Fly.

Call it nostalgia or perhaps my brain may fast becoming mush as I get older, but I have a bit of a hankering to get a Laser Cutter and see if I can re produce these kits as they brought so much fun and happiness to so many back in the day...

Would you buy one or steer clear of them? Would you prefer Built up wings or the old foam veneered type? What did you love and loathe about the old kits?I would really appreciate any and all your thoughts. Thank you.

Kind regards,

Cian.

I put hundreds and hundreds of flying hours into a Bi-Fly 40 back in my youth, and have very fond memories of the airframe. If I could get hold of a decent kit (new or old), I would as they say "'ave yer 'and orf".

She was so fuel and oil soaked (even after 3 or 4 refurbs) at the end, the funeral pyre went well.

Ahhh, happy days!

I had several of these before I went to university in the 1990s. When I got released back into the real world, everything had changed: LiPos, 2.4 GHz, foamies...

I built the Hi-Fly glider as my first ever build, and taught myself to fly on two channels using my Acoms 27 MHz boat transmitter. Not living near a slope, I used the power pod and a Cox .49 - but a thermal floater it isn't, so flights were fairly short! I proudly put the 'PRECEDENT' sticker on the fuselage, and remember my Dad finding it very amusing. When asked why, he replied "because when it's buried in the grass up to the bulkhead, it'll just read "DENT".

Next up was the T180 - a fabulous training aircraft, and despite its size went together quickly. I still have it.

I also built a Bi-Fly 25, but have never flown it (I was never sure I was proficient enough, having heard some horror stories).

I never had the Hi-Boy, Lo-Boy or the Fly-Boy, but I suspect the bigger Precedent kits probably flew better - the smaller ones were quite heavy with all that plywood!!!

TWS

I've had or got several of the above kits.

High Sierra - thousands of flights using a Cox Tee Dee .049 on a power pod. Good flyer but benefitted from a bigger rudder and the wing joining was a bit dubious IIRC.

Hi Boy: I currently fly one of these with an Enya .40 SS glow. Great combo but I have fitted flaps for a bit more interest. I think it makes a good trainer as it flies nicely and is tough as old boots. I've also flown it off water with floats on.

Lo-boy: Currently fly one of these with an OS .40 FP. It's the Lo-boy 5 with the single flap under the centre section of the wing. Great windy weather model, flaps make it fly so slowly. Again I've fitted floats.

img_4421_1.jpg

Hi fly - had one of these up until a couple of years ago. Had a DC Spitfire 1cc diesel on the pod. Went nicely but again needed a bigger rudder.

imag0317.jpg

I've been on a heavy nostalgia trip over the last few years buying, building and refurbing old 70's and 80's kits I never had when I was a kid.

I've got a half-built Aeronca Champ in the loft that I bought the Carbon Copy GRP cowl for. I was originally going to make it electric but since becoming more interested in float flying I thought this would make a good floatplane with either a Zenoah 20 petrol of 120 four stroke so I'm having a think about this.

All of the models I have experience of are reasonable flyers and the Precedent die cut ply fuselages were an early example of a manufacturer making an attempt at self-jigging construction. I think it worked quite well and the foam wings were pretty good quality too, meaning that the build was quick and reliable, if sometimes a bit heavy.

I still have a Mk1 Yamamoto as good as new - in fact I took my 'A' on it a couple of years ago, some 30(?) years after I built it! (Was a lone flyer until recently). Excellent plane and mine is still hanging up in the garage - I don't have the heart to get rid of it!

Not sure about the MkII - I saw one at the club and it seemed very heavy compared to my Mk1 - although it did, of course, have the benefit of ailerons.

would love to get my hands on a high sierra glider kit. had 3 but never got to build the kit because as a kid money was hard. so used to buy old airframes and just fly them to death.

As for precedent I had fun building the low boy my first low wing rc plane. had a bi fly and loved it.

Would love to get my hands on a howard metcalfs f4 phantom kit again it flew superb with a magnum 25 up front.

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for your for all your responses! I'm up early for work tomorrow and before I hit the hay, I thought I'd see if anyone responded and, I must admit, I'm bowled over by the response already. I'm delighted that I managed to bring up so many happy memories for you simply by mentioning some of our old favourite flying machines.

I've a long, busy weekend ahead, and may not get a chance to log in for a few days. I look forward to replying to each one of you and discussing your memories further. thanks again for welcoming me to the fold and 'taking me under your wing' as it were....

Kind regards,

Cian.

Hi Guys,

Thank you all so much for the encouragement, I'm delighted that there is interest my bonkers idea...

Piers; Thanks for the reminder on the Turbulant, I had it on my original list, but for whatever reason, I ommitted it! I've been in touch with SLEC, they only have the rights to the T240, Stampe and FunFly, and do not know who has the rights to the rest of the Precedent Line up. If anyone out there can help me locate who currently owns the rights, I'd very much appreciate it.

Andy Meade, Concorde Speedbird and John Stones; I love the Bi Flys, They really look the part don't they?, thanks for the pic too, fantastic colour scheme!

Chris Bond, Chris Channon and Kingkade; Thank you for the 'pre-orders' Rest assured that you guys will get the first kits off the production line if I get this project off the ground.

Ken Anderson, Alan Gorham, Colin Bernard and Brent; thank you all for your helpful advice and very nice pictures. I love the flaps on the Hi Boy..... I may even 'liberate' the idea its so good!

TWS; your story sounds uncanily like mine! I also gave up in the 90's to persue college etc and have only returned in the past few years to all this newfangled 2.4 lipo malarky

Mike Smith; Ouch!.... I had a Hi Boy with similar colouring...mine was white where your yellow is.... and it ended up in the same condition as yours in the 90's when i got a deadstick and accidentaly 'landed' on a sheep in the next field... broken fuz for me and not a mark on the sheep thankfully....

I really enjoyed the nostalgia that my simple idea has created. To me, life is all about having fun, and what better way to connect with our childhoods than a good trip down memory lane.

This is the only forum that I have posted on...can anyone recommend any other Topics, Forums, Websites, etc that I could contact/post on?

If anyone has any more suggestions or advice, please share it!!!!!

looking forward to it...

i suppose i could use the under carriage (which i still have) of my 90's yamamoto and refer to it as 'the same plane', "its the same plane i learnt to fly on in the 90's you know...."

wink

i also departed from RC'ing late 90's to pursue collage angel 2/ education angel 2/ career angel 2 / drink beer/ women kiss..... now recently got back into it....glad i did.. its one of many things that fuel my week!

K

I had the MFA Islander kit, one of the many I regret selling prior to building. No idea how it built or flew but it was a very nice looking kit. I also built a T180, a nice kit that went together well but ended up a bit on the heavy side. I also built a Coyote when I had a mad turn and developed a slight interest in gliding. It never flew and now deorates a small area of my workshop. An Electra-fly was another one. It was only half built and is probably tucked away in some forgotten corner.

By comparison to todays laser cut kits, they were certainly a bit crude and sometimes the quality of the ply left a lot to be desired but I suppose against the standard of the time, they were pretty good.

I was helping a club mate learn to fly with his electra-fly. He had got to the stage of flying on his own with supervision when the on/off switch for the motor went wrong[no speed controller]the switch was on the elevator servo and was activated by a blip of full up. At full power with a fresh batt it climbed to a dot in the sky,I told him to put it in a turn to prevent a fly away as I landed my aircraft.Then something came off [elevator?] the turn tightened and the left wing folded and came off followed shortly by the right.The fuzz headed earthwards with motor still flat out at a tremendous speed,first the horizontal tail came off then the fin/rudder and last the canopy. The bare fuzz went deep into the ground with a hell of a thump [not much left] and wings took more than a minute to flutter their way down. A good airframe and with modern gear and lipo's recon one would be a fine flyer.