Ripmax Flying Legends Gipsy Moth

cymaz

Posted by Stevo on 09/11/2014 17:24:50:

...and regards the inclinometer, what I would have done would be to print it off and then made succesively smaller versions of it until it fitted, which would get all you numbers in?

It's not an inclinometer Steveo,It's a basic air speed indicator,air pressure against the flat plate bends the coil spring back as speed builds up.

Advert

Just finished roughing in the closed loop rudder. Works a treat - no binding laugh

rudder (2).jpg

rudder (3).jpg

rudder.jpg

To finish it off the tail needs gluing in (can't do that until the engine is in- various reasons). The ends crimping, gluing and covering in heat shrink. And put a spot of CA on the bolt threads and cut to length. Glue the cable guides into the fuselage sides. Then a coat of black paint. There is maximum throw by putting the clevis two holes near the base of the horn.

Well, just come back from the engine test run....disappointed to say the leastsad.The single carb set up for the 4 cylinder didn't work at all - so there was no point taking any film.

Number four cylinder was found to be misfiring possibly due to lack of fuel delivery. There was a lot of fuel blow back through the carb too.

Over the next week or so the engine will be reverted back to twin carb amd we' ll try again. If that proves unsuccessful then it's back to the G38.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained

After this mornings disappointment, I decided to do some work on the elevator closed loops. The top cable sections are just a representation, a small length of fuel tube and a split pin into the leading edge. They will be super glued in later.

I measured out where the exit holes might be and ,would you believe it, found some exit holes in the formers. These exit holes will have a small reinforcing patch over them.

elevator.jpg

elevator (2).jpg

elevator (3).jpg

And the real thing, ( remind me to put a small washer under the split pinenlightened)

thumb-6 - tiger moth - blog mw feb 2011.jpg

Edited By cymaz on 16/11/2014 18:10:42

Edited By cymaz on 16/11/2014 18:14:52

• 2 weeks later...

The pilot has turned up. Tower Hobbies and air mail, excellent service again. Dispatched on 26 November and arrived 4 December.

The 4 cyl engine posted earlier has now been modified to twin carb. I hope the run up will be on Sunday. I will report back.

So,here are some pictures of Roger the Pilot..As he is a WW1 German figure it should be "Roger Der Pilot", ja?.

roger.jpg

roger (2).jpg

roger (3).jpg

roger (5).jpg

roger (4).jpg

• 1 month later...

Still making painfully slow progress. After doing several engine runs with my mates inline 4 glow motor, it proved unworkable.

However the old G38 remains in working order so that will be going into the airframe. A few modifications will be made. I have purchased a couple of bits from Toni Clark Practical Scale here 

The aluminium motor mount is needed as the optional box is unavailable and the carb bend will be needed to avoid the use of a bell crank. Will post pictures when it arrives.

Edited By cymaz on 14/01/2015 19:18:23

Thank you , WF. I'm working out in the garage which has no insulation. So as you can imagine at the moment, it's chuffing cold face 3

Still, once the engine is mounted on and the cowl done the lower wings can be bolted back on and the tail squared and glued.

Also it's not unti that happens that I will know the final distance from the thrust plate to the cowl front. I suspect I may need a prop extension shaft but don't know the length until all the other stuff is done.....no rush with the build.....yet tea

Toni Clark in Germany has done great work again. Engine mount and carb extension ordered on 15/01....guess what turned up this morning

engine mount.jpg

Fits straight onto the rear of the G38

engine mount2.jpg

After a bit of head scratching on how to mount onto the firewall, I came up with this...

firewall.jpg

And ended up with this...

cowl2.jpg

The carb extension does a great job of doing away with the bell crank and it means I can tune the carb without losing an upper limbface 21

Also began fitting on the cowl. The carb really gets tucked away nicely. Just need to order a 3" prop extension.

I have a 2" prop extension going spare if anyone wants to do a swap.

cowl1.jpg

cowl4.jpg

cowl5.jpg

Too cold again after a few hours, so here's what has been done today...

Not much really, fitted out the cowl around the exhaust. Put in the petrol tank and found the pipe clunk had gone hard. So that was replaced. The rest of the pipe work is installed.

Then hit my first snag. The new top engine mounting holes come right onto the ply tank floor and corner bracing. This means I can't fit the blind nuts in. However I have a solution, M5 threaded inserts. They should be OK and will be epoxied in as well as the mechanical fixing.

The bottom of the exhaust interfered with the engine mount. The exhaust has been trimmed and the hole will need to be brazed over...no big deal.

Once the engine is fitted in the electronic ignition can be put in. I will the run the engine up before going with the build any further.

Edited By cymaz on 18/01/2015 15:29:53

Love it teeth 2 !

I spent 3/4 weeks not doing anything to it as I was trying to get my friends engine to run properly for the airframe. As it came to nothing, I am now trying to catch up.

It has to be finished by the end of March for the club Concours

Edited By cymaz on 18/01/2015 17:02:51

I had no other solution after thinking about it for a while. The inserts have a good amount of epoxy on the threads - it's the best I can doindecision. Not ideal but there you are.

No pictures tonight but got the engine,carb and exhaust finally bolted in.

There was a small problem to overcome,however. The carb in its new position ment that the fuel intake nipple was facing directly towards the exhaust. This meant the fuel pipe was against the hot exhaust......reciepe for a big bonfirecrying

On doing a bit of reading up about Walbro carbs, it seems that this nipple can be turned, WITH SOME CARE...

It worked. The plastic nipple if gripped very carefully with good stout pliers ( and the barb part in the jaws- but with no turning force against it) will turn a few times on its splines. So now the nipple is facing directly backwards out of harms wayface 23. It still remains extremely tight in the carb body. I'm sure if this was done any more than once, either the splines would break off in the body of the carb or the barb tube would come away...not good.

Cheers Bert, that's good to know. I thought I would post my experience in case someone else was worrying about the same problem.

This weekend I hope to finish the ignition. Bolt the lower wings back on and glue in the tail. I can then run up the engine.

The Rx will go in the front cockpit. Anyone have any other ideas? (Futaba 9c/ Futaba 8 channel module and FrSky 8 ch Rx )

My previous Rx was in the fuselage behind the engine...it went into failsafe and crashed. I really want to get the best radio reception possible.