Electric Sea Fury

Advert

Okay Shaun you win, the Fury does actually fly very well and the power setup, though not startling is more than enough to have some great scale flying.

So makeover time.

Before we start Question::: Spraying over ARTF film, scotchbrite all over and spray? does the paint stick well enough that masking tape/film doesn't lift the paint?

two choices:

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/26349/RNHF_fury_(Large).jpg

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/26349/seafury-1_(Large).jpg

David should I start a new thread for this or just carry on

PS Everybody wants one of these now I reckon Shaun and I should have been on comission

This thread is fine I think...just carry on.

I painted over my film covered Spit very successfully ( warbirds 2 part paint - Shaun has also used this too ) just rubbed her down with a scotchbrite and degreased well with ISO-P ...all fine so far, and thats on a slimer !

Hi guys, just caught up with this thread. I went to Halfords and bought some proper paint preparation stuff: 3 grades of scotchpad, tack cloths and degreaser handy wipes. Preparation is everything. I rubbed the whole model over until it was a dull matt finish. Then I tack clothed it, then I degreased it. After that I painted (by good quality sable brush) lots of thin coats. When I had to mask off (the invasion stripes), I only used Tamiya masking tape, which did pull off the tiniest bit here and there, but nothing to worry about. But allow it to fully dry first!!!!!

As a top tip: to stop runs under the tape after masking, paint the original base colour on first, allow to dry, then proceed with new colour. That way any seepage is in the original colour and it seals the tape edges up.

As for the paint, I used Warbirds paint from Phil at www.fighteraces.co.uk and so far, so good. The only place the paint has been rubbed of, is the wing seat where the fuselage is in contact with it.

And for colour - go with the top one, I think. There's too many copies of my original scheme now   It's been copied on another forum as well! If I win the compo model, I'll paint it as an Iraqi AF Baghdad Fury. Good luck, it's worth it.

Thanks guys, well it would be easier to do the top one, but something is drawing me to the same one as you Shaun, not to copy LOL but because in my oppinion thats what a Sea Fury should look like

anyway I will fit the retract servo when it arrives and get in a few more flights while I gather the neccessary bits. It will be a good excuse to try Phil Clarkes paints (Fighteraces). Do you know he is building a 50lb 1/5 scale version of the Sea Fury from the Jerry Bates Plan?? Looks stunning so far.

I will try for another video as soon as I can, can't promise so good a landing this time

Hi Shaun, yes the Sky Raider is simply awesome, All of Phils builds are really fascinating I learn a lot from them. I hope he will return to the Marauder too.

Anyway LOL off thread we will have Timbo on our backs that Fury is interesting. My plotter would be working overtime with those markings......

Had another flight of the Fury, I will let Chris say what happened to the video this time I guess we are just not destined to see it on film. I did fly honest

It was very blustery today and the model tucked under a fair bit in the turns when I touched the elevator, might be a problem with differential? not sure, I think more testing is needed. Turning out to be a great warbird practice plane which was the remit. Not easy to fly but then where would the fun be if it was.

Danny

Thanks David and Shaun, Chris didn't want to join in and say what happened on the last attempt to video the Fury, lets just say when he pressed the record button to stop recording at the end of the flight, the camera STARTED recording lolol. Just not destined to get a video.

Shaun before i overpaint this film, another thing i noticed last weekend, the model was sat in the sunshine for an hour or so, and the film has wrinkled  hopefully a bit of heat will get it flat again, thought the wrinkles do feel alarmingly rigid, has yours done this, and what happens when its overpainted and you need to reshrink the film, does the paint cope??

The new retract servo has arrived and I need to fit it.

Fortunately Gavin was so in awe of my flying talent at recovering from that one that he didn't press the shutter when it tip stalled the other way!!! still keeps the other club members amused  The video would have been good eh? ah well, Chris feels bad enough about that, so better not say any more. Have you noticed he has a Fury too now?

You guys are killing me, we only rented this house in August, then broke both wrists, is Sept., the 3 cars all needed work, trying to get my tax sorted, now the house owner is ill and is going to sell the house so its now time to pack again, no time to build

x 365 days

well spoke to Phil @ Fighteraces this morning and some pots of his finest warbird paint is on its way to me. Sorry Shaun but the Sea Fury really is only available in one scheme and thats the same as yours, so thats' how it will be. I have also taken your lead and saved myself the grief of having to cut too many stencils and bought the decal set from Pyramid

I haven't spoken to Chris yet as to what scheme he will do his or if indeed if he will change it. He has already ordered all the same bits as mine but we are going to change the motor. The 900 watt 500kv Turnigy turns too small a prop, and it just looks like a silly IC prop. I have this urge to go up to a 19" or 20" with a much lower KV the power will be the same, the revs much lower, and the prop much more efficient. Anyway a motor has been chosen and is on its way.

I made a three bladed prop for the Hurricane, shall I have a go at making a 5 blader..............

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/26349/DSC_8703_(Large).JPG

Nice 3 blader there Danny ! If its any help, my Turnigy 400Kv is destined for my hangar 9 camel, and I have run some tests a few months back on my intended set-up.

4S2P LiPo ( yes I know you will be using M1s ) at total capacity of 6400mahr so they hold 15V under load 

Turnigy 400 Kv 1200 watt motor

16 x 10 prop.

This gave 600 watts at 40A static, and I expect a duration of around 12 - 15 minutes. RPM was 5500

The bird should weigh around 8.5 lbs AU, so will be on approx 70 WPlb - should be good for nice scale speed.

I would have thought you want a bit more speed ( and thrust ) on your Sea Fury, but using the 6s LiFes will probably spin the 500kv a bit too fast, or if loading with a nice big prop would be pulling too much current, so you are right to try a lower Kv. I could of course go much higher on the wattage of mine, but at the cost of duration.

I may well try this motor with the 6s M1s ( the other 2 cells arrived today ) and a different prop.

I need a big diameter prop for the size of the cowl apart from anything else.