Electric Sea Fury

Advert

You guys are killing me again, 19v x 57 amps = 1083 watts, and anyone can figure that 1083w/24v = 45 amps,the question is whether the esc can handle the 24 v ( make that 32 V if they are 8 x Lipos at appr. 4.1v full charge).

I did find a site to do with AXI twin in line pushing a 26 x 10 i think, with a 8 foot span in a 3D stunter, i think it was a Cap, on the ground the wine of the leccy was a give away, but the prop sound in the air was like the real thing, grrrroooowwwwllllllll.

Marty

What are you saying Marty? that we are totally loony LOL -  I will take that as a compliment The hurricane first flight was on a 20 x 10 producing more than 2Kw went well, just not for long enough you have to remember I play with A123 M1 cells so the voltage is lower than with lipos the ESC has contained all the smoke so far

Cheers

Danny

Marty, your assumption that on 24V the Wattage will still be the same, and therefore the current lower

( " quote 1083 /24 = 45A"  ) ....is not correct. As Danny was planning to use an even larger prop ( 19" ) and a higher voltage of 24v ( 8 x M1s @ approx 3v each under load )....  then on the same motor ( which it is ) the current will INCREASE along with Watts.

I dont know which ESC danny is using, but there are plenty available these days which will handlethese higher voltages - I have for instance just spent a whopping £16 on a 50A capable ESC which will accept up to 30V input.

Hey Timbo send me the specs, does it take 8cell lipos? in reality 8 will give more than 30v anything up to 33v, what brand is it? I actually have a few 50 amps that only take 6 cell 25v.

Once we move house again, and finish the rebuild of the family station wagon (did I say family? - I meant aircraft) I want to start on a few scratchies have a couple of 800kvs to push 16 inch - should make a nice Thunderbolt or maybe a WW11 Boomerang, there goes my next holiday.... 

I have a set of 3 5000kv for small edfs (50mms) for something special like a meteor and a scratch venom, got to move house yada yada, then send her home to see her dad (for a year of two heh heh), seroiusly gotta finish the car to carry the planes, and a couple of gliders, and ........one day I'll wake up

I have been looking at the power solution on the Fury and I am going to put a bigger motor in.

The main reason is to get the prop speed down and thus make it more efficient, also with the lower KV value of the new motor I will be able to swing a bigger prop. the smaller props just don't look right.

This newer motor is shown alongside the current motor for comparison the APC prop in the picture is a 17" x 10 to give some scale.

the motor should be good for about 1200 watts so the loud peddle must be used with caution if decent flight times are to be achieved. In theory, and this is another reason to carry out the exercise, the larger slower prop should be more effiicient and therefore the flight longer due to less wasted energy.

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/26349/DSC_8757_(Large).JPG

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/26349/DSC_8756_(Large).JPG

The spinner in the picture is from UH and is a 4" jobbie, we wont say how much it was but it was well under £5

Chris has also got a big bag of identical bits from UH, same motor, spinner, servos etc. hopefully when we do get a video  it will be more impressive by showing two of Camm's finest in close formation

PS the paint arrived from Phil Clarke of Fighteraces, ordered at midday and delivered the next morning, thx Phil I have already tickled some of the model with some scotchbrite and it looks as though a boring exercise will be reasonably quick.

Now do you want a video in the old config/old colors, or can I move on???????

• 3 weeks later...

well I have been busy with work and the restoration of a Cirrus Moth for a friend so I haven't really started on the Sea Fury makeover, but I have fitted the new bigger motor. as luck would have it, the holes I made to mount the 1/4 ply bulkhead to the fus used the exact same spacing as the motor cruciform!! so just removed old mount and motor, and dropped new one in. the cowl rear edge can now be shortened (After I check the C of G) it looks like I can lose 3" of the rear of the cowl that will make it more scale like in profile. What do you reckon to that 4" spinner, less than 5$

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/26349/DSC_8780_(Large).JPG

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/26349/DSC_8783_(Large).JPG