Irvine Chippy

Nigel Herron

Hi all been at this build for just over 3 weeks was a late starter so am busy catching up, when i work out how to add the build log will post some pic's but i must say I like Martins pins i think they are a lot easier to use,Having ordered a couple of boxes'wink

This is only my second build i started on the school boys dream a Spitfire about 5 yrs ago got the wings built then a move of house and so on so on. But I'm determined to finish this one, and with all you guys out there i hope it wont be to difficult.

Have semi finished the tail fin and rudder, Horizontal Stab and elevators just need a little trimming and finished off with fine S/P, Have made my own hinges and elevator controls for rudder etc,(bought my self a band saw from screwfix best £130.00 ive spent in a while)

I have started to put together the lower section of fuse I note on the plans a mercury wing fastener does any one know who supplies this or will an ordinary wing bolt and nut do the same job.?

Thanks nige

Hi John yes Irvine is on the west coast on the lower reaches of the Clyde About 8/9 miles North of Prestwick Airport. I belong to the Warrix Flying Group and fly out of an old wartime RAF base Near Dundonald no buildings left just the remnants of one of the strips, out in the open smileyand can get a bit wind swept at times.

Looking forward to this build its on my list of to doo's

Nige.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Nigel,

Welcome to the build. I think this is the part you are looking for. It was a 'Mercury' accessory which will be long gone by now. This Chippie is a project I started 30 odd years ago & wing joiner was there when I recovered it from the loft.You will find a modern alternative, though I think that the method Danny showed in his thread is a much better way to fit the wing & is the method I will use next time.

Good luck

Cheers Johnimage.jpg

• 1 month later...

dsc00154.jpgAll skied up and snow where to go.wink Whilst wrestling with the Centre section of the main wing a decided to knock up a set of ski's as when i returned from the Isle Of sunshine ( Lanzarote ) on Friday we landed at Prestwick in a blizzard near white out by the time we got home, any way was dying to set to work on a set of ski's for my WOT 4 trainer but when I went up to the field No snow dsc00153.jpg

The woty would probably have taken off from the waterlogged grass with the skie on.

Wings look good so far Nigel. They're a bit like climbing a big hill, when you think your nearly at the top you find a bit more to do, you just have too keep sticking bits on.

Nearly got mine finished and I'm well pleased with them so keep going.

Nev.

Thanks Nev I ended up a bit heavy handed when trying to slide in the main braces and snapping off the rib 1 spar where it was glued top and bottom I thought that by building the rest of the wing section 1st then adding the two main braces B2 and then setting the dihedral would be better than from the central section and working out to the wing tip not to badly damaged will just have to add a brace to rib 1 and re glue then have a go at setting the dihedral but will carry on now i think i know where im headingindecision

1st flight of the yr was itching to try out the ski's then ended up putting the wheels back on you wouldn't believe that 2 miles up the road was a good 6inch of snow either. Need to make up a permanant fixing/ undercarriage for the ski's then only have two screws to switch over from wheels to ski's.

Because the field is shared with live stock and gets a bit bumpy if they get on to the strip i have some 60mm wide car wheels to take up the knocks etc and are braked so are a but of a pain to keep swapping about.

Cheers Nige.

Posted by Nigel Herron on 18/01/2015 21:22:39:

dsc00154.jpgAll skied up and snow where to go.wink Whilst wrestling with the Centre section of the main wing a decided to knock up a set of ski's as when i returned from the Isle Of sunshine ( Lanzarote ) on Friday we landed at Prestwick in a blizzard near white out by the time we got home, any way was dying to set to work on a set of ski's for my WOT 4 trainer but when I went up to the field No snow.

What are your ski's made from ? Look good yes

dsc00158.jpgdsc00157.jpgHi Trebor ski's are from a plastic sheet for the runners and some woodendsc00156.jpg cut offs from window blinds for the uprights all 3mm and very light then glued together with hot glue , made some doublers from the same wooden uprights and glued to support the axle pins with a spring fitted to the front of the ski overall length 250mm.

The plastic was heated in front of a warm air heater and bent to form the front to help retain its shape whilst I glued it together, and im Still waiting for snow.sad

Have you tried the ski's out in snow ? What is the hight of the curl on the front tip ? I'm having a go at making some, came across a salad lid out of a fridge tray in the kitchen cupboard. Mine turned out at 30mm high at the tip, just wondering if that's enough.

Hi Trebor sorry have been setting my dihedral on the chippy got my right wing set now to trace pattern onto left wing setup and set to work on that side.

I haven't tried the ski's out yet been nothing but wind and rain in Irvine for the last week until tonight Snow's a snowing and im of to Inverness Friday for a long weekend so am not going to get the chance to try out the ski's.

Mine have a 40mm upturn to the front im guessing the spring action with the c o g well forward should plane the ski's above the snow and not dig in to the front leading edge providing the snows soft, if its hard and compacted then i cant for see to much problems looking at commercial ski's i think some are even lower than ours.

I forgot to mention the spring dia and length are 8mm dia x 40mm long i don't have a spring balance to give the pull force but its not much. as you can see of the photo its enough for the weight of the plane to force the ski's flat when on the ground but enough to lift the ski's when airborne? and im assuming that these will act like flaps also which should aid in the landing.

let me know how you get on if you get up in the air before me.

cheers nige.