Blackhorse Stuka

Lindsay Todd

Advert

What a surprise, excellent weather for painting so on with the top coat, first a earth/ tan colour and then dark green blotch pattern on top signifies that this is a desert scheme I have decided to go for as not something I have done before and wanted something different fro the original. I use standard emulsion for this stage as I will clear coat once all the weathering has been done. In this case I just got some tester pots made up to match the colours and sprayed the finish. Being water based allows mistakes to be cleaned up easily and weathering also tends to be easier as the finish can be cut back without the need for aggressive abrasion on the surface, in some cases a damp cloth but I'll cover that later. Anyway she now looks like this.

s1840001.jpg

s1840002.jpg

Once the paint is thoroughly dry I can spray the underside and then can start to work on the insignia and decals and then some weathering and detailing. Linds

Time to do a little weathering to the fuselage, basic technique is to cut back the top coat in layers to give the impression of general wear and tear to the paint finish so in areas I remove a little and other areas back to the silver undercoat. To do this I use a combination of scotch right pads and wire wools. Because the top coat is water based actually makes life so much easier at this stage, the trick is to add enough but not to much and stop before you go too far, hopefully I have the fuselage about right.

s1850001.jpg

The canopy areas all so have deliberate areas removed and scored to simulate paint the would be worn away with use such as regions were the canopy would slide back

s1850007.jpg

s1850003.jpg

Next job will be to add under side colour and then the insignia and legends, then I'll cut back the finish and scuff for the final time then add a few highlights and detail paint touches to add a little staining such as oil etc. Happy with progress so far. Linds

Little bit more done on the paint work starting with the cowl, same technique as before, underside blue is fresh so will be cut back in a few days when fully cured.

s1860001.jpg

Also set about cutting some paint masks and getting the markings onto the fuselage. Started with a white band around the fuselage then applied the crosses then the lettering.

s1860003.jpg

Also made a start on cutting back the wing top surface ready for the crosses to go on.

s1870004.jpg

Always enjoy this part seeing the model coming to life. If all goes well should have her completed pretty much across the weekend if I get some dry spells. Linds

Do you put a top coat on to protect the paint and lettering ?

Ooops...just spotted on your previous post that you will Clearcoat blush  . So my next question is what about a flattening agent in the Clearcoat? 

Edited By cymaz on 03/04/2015 06:14:33

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Cymaz, as an alternative to clearcoat I have just used Deluxe Materials Acrylic finishing resin, sprayed on as a top coat lacquer, result is a matt finish that seems to be fuel resistant, time will tell but here is the result so far in the transformation.

s1870006.jpg

I attached the above shot as it shows the effect of using acrylic water based paint over enamel silver, when I scuff back I used steel wool slightly wetted, this has the effect of scratching the paint and then wipe away the excess with a tissue, this also rubs paint into the panel lines so adds to the weathered look. You do need to leave the acrylic top coat to thoroughly dry for a few days or you will take to much off too soon and too easily.

All assembled for the first time in her new scheme

s1890025.jpg

s1890027.jpgStill a few jobs to do on the underside and a bit on installation and check the CG position then she is ready for a test flight, I'll add some more details if all goes well after the initial flights. Linds

Posted by Lindsay Todd on 18/04/2015 18:07:04:

I wish, going to miss this year as on holiday booked before the dates were moved into July else she would have been there. Gutted to be missing the event as one of the highlights of my year usually.

Bum

• 6 months later...

Well I finally got the Stuka un packed from its storage wrappings and back on the bench to complete which was little more than fitting the two batteries (ignition and flight pack) and a couple of switches. That done and a quick check on the cg position and all is looking good. I just need to do a final set up of the control surfaces on the radio. The DLE fitted remains new and un run so will need a bit of set up but she is now ready for a test flight. Can't believe it has taken since April to get back onto this and get it finished off. Linds

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...