Blackhorse Stuka

Lindsay Todd

I recently acquire a second hand Blackhorse Stuka that had been assembled very poorly, never finished or flown and was sold on to me in fairness at a price I could fail to call anything other than a bargain. In my innocence I figured I could get hold of spares but this has proven so far at least to be not the case. Now whilst I can make up parts and inevitably that might be what I have to do I figured the spares might be out there on the used market, ie a crashed model that might allow this sad poorly assembled item to be brought into original working condition. Taking some garden waste to the local tip today I noticed and Extra type model albeit well trashed thrown in a skip complete with good undercarriage, horns linkages etc all visible. I resisted the temptation to jump in and scrounge the bits but did make me think hey worth asking if someone has a crashed beyond economical repair that might be willing to part with as an alternative to putting in the bin or bonfire first. In my case I'm not looking for an airframe just control horns, metal u/c parts and tail wheel assembly just to make life easy. Linds

Advert

Hi Stevo, your not the first to say such things, its a real shame but I guess the nature of things. Still I shall not be too downhearted, work has commenced and there is nothing there that can't be produced and at least I could down load the manual as a pdf so I know what was originally being used and I'll just configure my own bits and way around things. I'll cap it off with a new colour scheme I think to make it a bit more individual as well. Linds

Hi Linds,

I too have a BH model, the Storch, it does seem that spares are impossible even when still in production. I did have their Wilga on order as well but based on the spares situation and on the general quality of the Storch I have cancelled it and ordered another Hangar 9 model instead.

Best just press on via your own devices Mate, I'm sure you are more than capable and will probably end up with a better built model to boot !

Cheers, SHAUN.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Much work on this project also starting out with the pesky UC parts that were missing which was basically everything bar the main oleo but working from the instructions and pics on the web I managed to fabricate everything reasonably well and now after his first prototype have a fully functional U/C fitted. The wire form was the worst and I nocked up a dowel mock up first to get the size correct then bent the form up from piano wire.

s1600001.jpg

Next job was to fit the wing servo's and linkages, all pretty straight forward but with the flaps being in four sections the book calls for one servo to each flap, that's 4 servos, not happening. Made no sense to me so simply made up a plastic tab that was glued into the main outboard flaps and runs in a slot cut into the side face of the inboard flap. you have to be careful in your measurements but the end result works great and saves the weight of two servo's from the model. Pic was taken before a little sanding of the slot, will post another later.

s1610004.jpg

Next a little work to the balances on the tail plain and elevators that are mouldings supplied but were also missing. A bit of an odd shape and probably prone to damage so made up form a ply and balsa laminate. Perhaps not exactly the correct shape but fine for me.

s1650015.jpg

Loads of filler and sanding of the existing film which was a bit tatty in places and a careful removal of the canopy. The spats needed a few repairs but were fitted without too much fuss using screws and rc modellers glue with a little filler and today she has received a coat of primer and is now ready for some detail I think.

s1700021.jpg

Will update on progress soon. Linds

Hi cymaz, some film was removed but in the main I just cut the film back with good ole we and dry, most of the original colour scheme came off and went back to a white base colour, I then sprayed a coat of acrylic resin and a bit of filler and then primed straight over the top. Past experience suggests this should be absolutely fine. Time to get some panel lines drawn onto her now I guess. Linds

Spent some time on the panel lines this afternoon, as with all sport scale models the accuracy of shape becomes all to apparent in some areas but with a few compromises I think not too many will notice.

s1710004.jpg

I used the canopy position as a datum and then just worked my way around the fuz, the tail area seems to have most variation to scale but that is understandable that enlargement of fin and rudder and increased moment arm aid model stability.

s1710003.jpg

I have also added a few access panels which are sited around the airframe.

s1710006.jpg

I make these from a chrome vinyl using my vinyl cutter, a really useful tool. I mad up a series of panel type shapes when I first bought it a couple of years ago in various shapes and scales and they come in so useful as its a really quick way of adding detail, print out, peel off and stick on.

s1710005.jpg

Now to duplicate the lines on the other side of the fuselage. More soon Linds.

Edited By Lindsay Todd on 25/01/2015 16:25:52

• 2 weeks later...

Bit more on my Blackhorse Stuka upgrade with more work on the panel lines to the wings with pencil lines and then overlaid with 1.5mm wide tape prior to spraying with another coat of primer.

s1750001.jpg

Once the primer coat has gone down I remove the tape to reveal the panel line ridge

s1750004.jpg

Not finished just yet as next job will be to shoot a coat of silver down over the surface. Did not have the time or weather to get the wing done but the fuselage now has her silver coat on.

s1740002.jpg

s1740001.jpg

I also got the engine installed - DLE 20 rear exhaust version, this needed a little of the cowl removing but more on that later in the project. Next job is quite a lot of rivets I guess. Where are you when I need you Danny?

Linds

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a couple of pics to show progress is being made, process of moving house now starting to take over my workshop and definitely slowing things down a bit. Fuz now has all major panels and rivets by means of rc modeller glue droplets applied with a syringe bottle as can be seen on the fin below.

s1770005.jpg

I have kept the cockpit interior absolutely basic at the moment and will come back to it in the future if all goes well but the canopy has seen quite a bit of attention. All the windows were first masked with masking tape and sharp scalpel to re define the panels. This was then reinforced with chrome vinyl strips cut into 6mm and 3mm strips to make up the framing and applied to the outside. This in turn has had the glue droplet attention to create the rivets.

s1780002.jpg

I have since given the exterior of the canopy a coat of primer and fixed to the fuselage so we are now getting close to choosing a final paint finish. Meanwhile it is back to the wings and a few further modifications for scale effect but more of that for later. Linds

Just a little more and a job that proved quite tricky and one I nearly chose not to bother with which was the dihedral joint fairing which is a semi circular ridge that runs down the seam and around the leading edge.

s1800074.jpg

For this I used some 12mm balsa dowel pinned it down to the bench on a centre line and then ran my Slec balsa strip cutter at 6mm depth along the side to create the section. That took some patience as it kept flexing and trying to run off and twist with the grain however I managed to get two consistent strips with care. The op surface then had slots cut almost all the way through along the length starting at 50mm spacing at the trailing edge down to about 3mm as the strip curved around the leading edge. The strip was then soaked in water and laid onto the wing and slowly conformed around the curve. When dry or at least most of the moisture gone I glued the part in place using rc modellers glue and a little filler. A coupler of coats of primer and sanding and that's an awkward job out the way but definitely worth it now its done. Next job leading edge light and gun pods. Linds

Made up the wing gun pods from balsa block, a bit of shaping and sanding and then glued onto the wing surface

s1810001.jpg

Next a line was drawn around the bock by about 3mm to identify the edge of the panel, a couple of layers of masking tape placed over and then trimmed away with a sharp scalpel. Filler was then added as a fillet around the block and when dry sanded back to the surface of the tape to produce a slightly raised panel edge and finally a coat of primer and silver base coat.

s1820004.jpg

A hole was drilled and a short length of ali tube glued in place for the guns, just some more rivets to do now. Last job is the dive drag brakes on the underside of the wing although these will be fixed in the horizontal position and she will be ready for the final detailing before top coat finish, need to pick out a scheme soon. Linds