Signal Loss with Spektrum?

ben goodfellow  1

agreed that for a lot of issues it us that are at fault, but nothing is 100% and lets face it spektrum has had its fair share of problems, i had a Weston cougar which locked out for about 3-5 seconds before getting her back, and my PB models tornado which i never got back both a quite busy fly-ins and this was only the 2 recent happenings and all were with new rxs, my old ar700s never missed a beat, on both occasions no sign of battery problem or any other for that matter could be found, it is then that i made my decision to swap, if you read about how DSM2 works and how other protocols works then you can make your own mind up, personally i just had too many issues with DSM2 to make it worth it, for me JRs DMSS binds instantly has proven rock solid and whilst i don't get a free receiver when i loose a model from HH, it does not compensate me for an expensive model. JMO

Hi everybody. I am mainly a forum watcher and not a participant but I remember something similar to this coming up on some of the USA forums a few years ago. It seems people were loosing control when on low circuits such as landing circuits. It could be reproduced fairly easily. A simple remedy is to make sure that you have one vertical aerial in your installations. On all of my models I have one fore and aft and one vertical. They are obviously at 90 degrees to each other. I have 10 or 12 models set up like this on both Futaba and frisky/Jr and have never had a problem. Perhaps this might be of help to some or all of you.

All the best..... Chris.

After reading forums here and elsewhere on other RC websites, it would seem there have been problems with signal loss on 2.4 with all brands of radio. So for me with Spektrum, at this moment in time one solution is to fit Rx's that have a quicker reconnect time after loss of signal. I did a comparison bench check with a setup using my DX18QQ, a DSM2 Rx, and a DSMX Rx, simply by switching the Tx off and back on again. I was already aware that the DSM2 Rx was slower to reconnect, but after testing again it does seem rather painfully slow to reconnect after switching the Tx back on, where as the DSMX Rx seems reconnect almost instantantly in comparison.

I am now convinced that had I fitted a DMSX Rx in my moulded glider, the loss of signal I had would have reconnected much much quicker, and more than likely I would regained control and saved my precious model from trying to burry itself 6 foot under ! I know that doesn't solve the signal loss issue, but at least I would have had a chance to recover the situation.

I've decided to gradually replace all my DSM2 Rx's for DSMX Rx's. ...Also I read a report on another RC forum website of a rumour that all new radio sets will now be for DSMX , with no more support for DSM2, I can't confirm it as true, but I wouldn't be surprised, as from what I've read it seems a lot of people out there don't like DSM2 because of the slow reconnect issue ......

Ronaldo

Also if the original signal loss was due to extraneous 2.4 Signals swamping the RX, then on DSM2 you will have to wait until at least one of the pairs of frequencies used become "free" again, whilst on DSMX then it should find a free slot much faster as it can use "all" (according to Spektrum) of the band

I wonder which way the Tx antenna was pointing?

It's quite fashionable these days to point it left or right and parallel to the ground. That is, with either the base of the antenna or the tip pointing at the model. Weakest signal pointing at the model at the most critical time is not a good thing.

If it's the same as the DX9, Ian, it should have two fixed aerials - one vertical and the other horizontal, in the carrying handle - so Tx orientation shouldn't be an issue. Ben was using 4 sats, so provided they were installed with plenty of separation and different orientation, I'd have thought all his bases were covered in that respect?

Pete

May have found the problem?

setting up pc9 40 with Spektrum dx6i and brand new spectrum full range 4 channel dsx version receiver.

took a few goes to bind but got throws and all done, left set on while visiting the gents, returned to see lights out on the receiver, touched receiver and light flickered back on with control again so a little wiggle on the wires off and on went the light.

bring in an out of the packet new hitec switch harness and battery pack, same result. wires connected shake the fuse and out go the lights. now that is a worry.

Edited By bouncebounce crunch on 06/01/2015 05:05:48

Masher, I am at a loss with this, one switch harness is Hitec the other JR all the component in the chain, Battery-switch harness- dsmx Spektrum receiver, including the servos are unused. any slight movement and this includes blowing on the wires causes a loss of power and bind light, then it slowly flickers back to life,

bad connector pins in the receiver? maybe

will show club-mates tomorrow to verify I am not going mad.

cheers bbc

Just to add to the debate.

I recently returned my DX8 to HH after suffering signal loss on three different models within a short period of time. One model was totalled on it's maiden; the other two are now repaired,

All three models carried original Spektrum Rx's and two had been flown without a hint of trouble using a DX6i.

After testing my DX8 HH said it didn't have a fault although they replaced the RF board for my peace of mind.

I've now started to re-use my DX8 again as my main radio but, these stories continue. In relation to the above posts, my experience indicates something other than just receivers.

Ok found the fault and receiver not to blame. my dodgy fit out the main culprit.

the ply mounting plate for radio gear is nicely set up and roomy in the seagull pc9 40.size

but when you nip up your switch harness tight in the mounting plate the wiring get pushed overly snug (bent 90degree) against a fuselage ply doubler. so a couple of switch harnesses later my mind is at ease and all is working with an older used and slightly smaller switch harness.

Steve it is highly unlikely that the identical fault would occur in three different models - that to me would indicate one of the following:

Transmitter

Environmental (Were you bound to the RX via DSM2 or DSMX?)

Something in the model you do thats habitual and common to all three

Something that was moved between models (RX battery?)

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 06/01/2015 11:33:55:

Steve it is highly unlikely that the identical fault would occur in three different models - that to me would indicate one of the following:

Transmitter

I've had the same with 3 different models. Used DSMX in each case. Nothing else in common between models, electric BTW. Only the transmitter was common. Batteries still had plenty of life in them, but exactly the same fault in each case, and as described in the OP. Each time happened quite close , and low to the ground.

I'm now going down the Taranis route, and at least if it happens again I will have enough telemetry to know exactly what happened. (I reckon it keeps more data that the black box in a jumbo.)

Anyone want a DX8 transmitter?

Edited By Andy48 on 06/01/2015 19:32:19

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 06/01/2015 11:33:55:

Transmitter

I agree with your analysis Dave and I first came to the conclusion that the DX8 was the culprit. As I previously commented, two of the models had been flying for a couple of years on the DX6i without problems. Only when the DX8 was introduced into the mix did the problems begin. Rx's were bound 2 on DSMX and the third on DSM2 with failsafes set and tested prior to flight.

Up until this point I'd suffered virtually zero mishaps which I put down to always taking my time to install and set up my models meticulously before committing them to the air. Now, having the DX8 back in my hands and, with no fault according to HH, I'm begining to wonder if I am Indeed doing something odd during my set-up routine.

cont from above.....

I am going to assess and review the installation on all my models over the next few weeks.

What is most perplexing though is some models have flown many times with the DX8 and have been absolutely rock solid. I will endeavour to discover if I did anything differently with the crashed models.

Ben, that's a knock. I thought it a bit rich when I was charged 40 Euros from here (Spain) to blighty but by comparison I seem to have got a good deal. Hope you get it sorted.

Andy, the Taranis did cross my mind too. I'll wait and see what transpires over the forthcoming months. Been out flying 5 days of the last 7 with no problems so far, so fingers crossed.

Steve.