Signal Loss with Spektrum?

ben goodfellow  1

ok so at the bvrmc field today and coming into land my engine cuts and plane goes into a dive from 25 foot . my sebart 2.2su29 nowt left , as you can imagine am boiling as there was nopthing i could do . i know it was LOS as the engine cut . come home and everything works . when set up . has any one had any similar experiences . im now going to send the tx and rx to HH to see what they say ...

Sorry to hear that, Ben - ouch!sad

Appreciate you're probably feeling a bit apoplectic at present but a fair bit more info would help before you box up the radio.

A full description of your setup would give us somewhere to start.

What are you suggesting - that the radio went to failsafe on approach or that uncommanded engine cut and down elevator actions occurred?

The more you can tell us, the better...

Pete

Sorry to read of your loss Ben.

Failed receiver battery pack while under load?

Do a load test on your battery pack, I have a Prolux multi tester which puts nicd and nimh batteries under load before giving you a final capacity reading, I have saved a few models with this method.

What happens when battery capacity gets low? well the control movements don't get slower like a toy draining the batteries, the receiver just stops working at a 3.5 volts.

in the Spektrum manual it states this and in this font manner too- CAUTION: we recommend that you DO NOT fly a model with battery charges at less than 5.3 volts.

hope this was of some use in your Air crash Investigation, bbc.

I was flying a small electric balsa model a few weeks ago on a Planet radio. I used it loads of times at shows and with loads of other models in the air at Weston, etc.

On the 2nd flight, as I cam for a pass, the motor stopped and piled straight in, smashed. I thought it was the radio, but although it worked, the EC3 connector had drifted from the battery, which caused the problem. It lost power, not radio.

Worth checking switches, etc, as loss of power would make the rxeXel switch to chop the engine.

I have changed the thread title - as a number of forum members have pointed out there could be other explanations than Tx/Rx failure - some possibly even more likely. I think in fairness the title should reflect that.

BEB

PS And before anyone asks - no I'm not a Spektrum user - I just find its useful to keep an open mind smile

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 03/01/2015 21:49:44

the above suggestions are all ruled out , two rx batteris two connections . engine was cut ,definately not pilot error tx is fine on other planes . id actualy like it to pilot error as atleast then id know what happened , but as i stand ive another airframe for my da 60 servos rx and the rest of it but am a bit concerned at installing it all . there were about 10 flyers most of which seen it happen that could prob confirm it looked like was sigal loss

Yep had same thing, just completed a left turn on to finals, and then the plane went into slow roll right into the ground.

No response from radio.

38cc petrol

spektrum 7 Chanel receiver with 2 remotes

two 2200 6v batts both tested and had on board monitors

everything worked after crash.

my mate filmed it and we played it back a few times.

The only thing I could put it down to was a blind spot on the receiver.

I did sometimes wonder if it was because I did not turn and face the model full on with the transmitter

If I have glitches from receivers they get a hammer through them now and get a new one.

New models get a new receiver.

I was using a JR 9 mk2

Edited By bert baker on 04/01/2015 10:35:03

Edited By bert baker on 04/01/2015 10:36:13

I had unexplained failsafe at Much Marcle which lost me my Gipsy Moth.

The 2.4 scanner in the control tent showed intermittent "hash" passing through the 2.4 band. I'm affraid that there may be more instances like this in the future.

2.4 was supposed to be the cure-all to radio interfence. But with the millions of planes, UAV's,phones,computers etc on it could be its undoing. Just a thought.

Posted by ben goodfellow 1 on 03/01/2015 22:49:28:

coming into land at approx 1/4 power engine cut then plane went vert down into ground . when we got to the debris the rx was on servos were buzzing (digital) but no commands were being followed. fails safe was set at neutral surfaces and engine kill.

Whilst we always state it is never our fault, and we then automatically go looking for aother answers, it sounds like a simple case of a stall.

Coming into land. 1/4 power. Engine cuts out. No thrust. Only way is down. It does sound very much like it just stalled due to loss of power. Could it be as simple as that?

It was a bit of a foolish answer. from JR

You get what you pay for, some other makers use cheaper components and the reliability may not be that great.

We Jr only use the best.

I have quite a few Models of different types Jets to free flight.

I have always mixed and matched radio gear 35 meg was great for that.

2.4 posses a problem for me I was late joining the 2,4 age.

So many models crashing for unknown reasons (brown out's or what ever)

I purchased a Carden Yak with 50cc petrol in it, (I was still on 35 meg at that time) I took one look at the radio installation and notice a heck of a lot of wiring in it a funny square junction box thing and a 9 channel JR receiver in it.

So having got it home I decided the best way forward was to get a JR 2.4 radio and do a data transfer. this made things a lot les hassle.

Then needed to update all the other models.

Some have Spektrum some have Jr.

Being a bit chicken all the Jets Have JR as does all the most precious to me.

Others that I am not too fussed about get Spektrum.

I know many pilot who use Jr tranny and Spektrum receivers with out problem.

I think it has been about four years now using 2.4 in this way, I have had a couple of prangs

I did once think of going back to 35 meg as it must be empty

Edited By bert baker on 04/01/2015 11:32:22

As far as signal loss is concerned, I am not sure how any observer could definately identify the cause of the crash as "signal loss" - its a fact of life in most crashes we can only summarise what the probable cause was, only very rarely and/or in the most simple of causes can we arrive at a definate answer

Were you use DSM2 or DSMX at the time?