1st Kernow Air Scouts

cymaz

Hi All, Whilst it may be a little premature to ask here I thought someone from the BMFA and Scout Association might see this and help me in my quest for the answers....

I help out with the newly formed 1st Kernow Air Scout Group at Bodmin Airfield. A few of us and the leaders are encouraging the "little perishers" to get invloved in model flying.

We are currently building a Junior 60. The airfield has donated some space for a scout hut and we have several engines and air frames to get up in the air when the weather improves.

This is where the question comes in...

• are the scouts covered by BMFA insurance whilst under tuition from a buddy box? I think the answer is yes but only up to 3 sessions under the current rules
  • would the Scouts need extra insurance as it a recognised scouting activity...they already have P.L. insurance to £10 million

I hope that someone in the Scouting body is also a flier may be able to help, thanks. I have emailed Chacksfield House and await a reply. Thanks

Advert

Cymaz -I could be wrong here, but I think the "3 flight rule" only applies within a BMFA Affliated Club - not to BMFA members instructing elsewhere.

In the University we are doing some projects with students that involve flying and that is done under the University's insurance, so it can done that way - but the cover is rather higher at £25M. The Scouts' insurers will be able to advise and may be willing to extend the cover for this activity.

BEB

Cymaz, one possibility would be to get the scout group setup with schools and youth group membership of the BMFA. Details from the BMFA website;

5) SCHOOLS AND YOUTH GROUP MEMBERSHIP is open to bona-flde school model flying clubs and clubs organised by recognised youth organisations such as the ATC or the Scouts. The minimum number of club members is one individual senior and four reduced rate juniors. The juniors need not be named and their membership fee will be one third the current junior fee rounded to the nearest pound.

As I understand it the group pays for a certain number of memberships without giving any names, and that number of members can be involved in flying at any one time.

One of our members used to help run a local Air Cadets squadron and they used this scheme.

Dave Bran may be able to give more details as I believe he has been involved in model flying with school groups.