Fitting cowl Acro Wot

torbjornp

Advert

I have used the strip cardboard method several times.

Stick some cardboard on the fuselage. Mark and cut holes in the cardboard where the carb, exhaust and head stick out. Remove the engine from the mount( it only needed to be put in with a bolt to stop it dropping out ). Don't remove the card off the fuselage. Transfer the holes etc  from the card to cowl.

Cut the holes starting small from the middle of the marks.

See how you get on with it enlightened

Edited By cymaz on 13/02/2015 21:22:49

Saito 65 bit underpowered for the acrowot (kit anyway imho).

My saito 82 was mounted inverted, makes a much neater install.

Then follow cymaz recommendation.

My current a/w kit , in the building for the last 4 years is getting an OS 91 fx with the opportunity to swap to a saito 125 as they have the same footprint.

All I have to do first is sort out the split veneer on the wings. I keep asking myself why do chris foss veneered foam wings split whereas my galaxy foxjet and precedent hi boy foam wings stored alongside for longer don't split.

Guess I'll have to ask CF.

I agree with Cymaz's advise on how to mark cowl.

However I disagree with Braddock IF yours is the ARTF version. I have a Saito 65 in my ARTF mounted sideways and I think it is ideal. There are 2 others in my club who have Saito 82's in theirs - well apart from being louder they don't seem much different to mine.

Hi Masher!

Did you cut some of the rear of the cowl, to get the lump of cast iron to fit through the opening? It is a bit narrow to fit the Saito .65 without picking it to peaces...😱 I have a Saito .85, that is actually smaller. But that one is fitted in a Cessna...I might take the bother to switch them.

By the way, The AW is a kit build!

torbjørn

Edited By torbjornp on 14/02/2015 12:08:29

Hi tobjorn

No I didn't cut the rear of the cowl but there is a slot which the manifold pipe fits through. The manifold pipe and silencer have to be removed before fitting the cowl and then there is just enough room to fit them and tighten back up when cowl is in situ.

I also had an Acrowot kit previously and still have a homebuilt "Acrowot copy" - both of these fly perfectly well on OS 46 LA two strokes - perhaps I am just not a promoter of over powered models? To me the Acrowot's seem best flying nice big aeros at sensible speed, I have other models when I need speed.