Cleaning cockpit canopy - advice please

Herri

I am currently building a 1/4 scale Rally Morane. The cockpit canopy is quite big and needs a good clean. The outside has a layer of plastic which will be removed but the inside has suffered a bit of scratching and scuffing.

What can I use to clean it up?

Thanks

Herri

Advert

Although I haven't used it myself, many caravan owners polish out scratches on acrylic windows with Brasso. Might be worth experimenting on a scrap section of canopy to make sure you don't make matters worse,  but if the scuffs are too deep it might me irrecoverable.

Edited By Cuban8 on 17/02/2015 10:37:50

Hi I have had a similar problem in the past. I used a fine scratch remover as used on car paint . Faracela finishing compound is good and give a super finish . There is also a very good paint restorer currently being sold in the pound shops . T cut will also work but doesn't seem as good as it used to be . Use a soft cloth and allow it to smooth down making a very smooth polishing pad .Use back and forth strokes until the polish is producing a glassy finish then small circular strokes to finish off. Any deep scratches will need a coarser paste to remove/reduce them before using the fine paste. When your happy wash the canopy in luke warm soapy water to remove the any chemicals as they may de-naturise the plastic and turn it brittle .

There is also a floor cleaner that was available some years ago that leaves a plastic film that fills and hides the scratches. I know the name changed but cant for the life of me remember what its called.There have also been threads on this forum that you may be able to find. Perhaps someone on here will remember the product ?

Hi Herri,

We used to regularly need some Lexan/Perspex polishers for 1:1 scale planes.

The best method around to recover the original smoothness was by using Novus Plastic Polish for all acrylics you can imagine. These products are even listed in the maintenance manuals of for ex. Boeing & Cessna.

Novus comes in three different grades. Item #1 is for cleaning, #2 is medium coarse for small scratches while #3 is a rubbing compound for 'heavy' repairs. You start w/ the highest number & always ends w/ #1 cleaner. Also never use any paper towels as they contain cellulose (wood particles) that will scratch your acrylic again... Only use soft cotton or microfiber & use a new piece of cotton for each different grade you're working with.

If you can't get it locally, you can find some 'Starters Kits' w/ 1 small bottle of each grade on eBay. I used to distribute them, some time ago, for Western Europe & the Starter Kit was retail-priced at +/- € 14 (including some cellulose-free cleaning pads). I may have some left if you have trouble finding them.

Happy polishing

Chris

Brussels, Belgium

Posted by David P Williams on 17/02/2015 16:01:48:

On a related matter, what's the best way to de-static a vac formed canopy (or shrunk pop bottle in the current case) prior to attaching, so that it isn't full of bits.

A few drops of fabric conditioner in a bowl of water does the trick.