New FrSky EU firmware - an unwelcome surprise

Stuart Ord

OK, I've tried to bind a brand-new, 2015 EU version X8R in D8 mode and it wasn't the slightest bit interested!

Changed to D16 mode and it bound instantly.

So, if like me you're new to things Taranis and have only 2015 X series receivers then the EU transmitter update XJT_eu_150413.frk is the way to go, but, if you've got pre-2015 receivers requiring D8 mode then it's probably best to stick with XJT_eu_150122.frk.

GDB

Advert

That's interesting, Caveman, but I'm not surprised. Looks like I'll be using the earlier (150122.frk) XJT update when I eventually do need to update. I only have 2 X series receivers (an X6R and an X8R) and only the 8 is a 2015 version which I'm using in D8 mode as I don't need the S_port.

Geoff

• 4 months later...

Ref Chris B's "ps" on his post 26/02/15

I have many X-R rcvs. and only 1 X6R eu rx.which I want to downgrade to suit my old Taranis.

I can use it in the D8 mode but would like to use it in D16.

Have downloaded lots of .frk files and "How to's" but none advise how to downgrade, I expect the answer is reasonable simple but I find that maturity often gets in the way now-a-days?

regards Helidel

Edited By Helidel on 13/10/2015 22:28:03

Edited By Helidel on 13/10/2015 22:28:42

Have just tried Martyn's s advice .. a few times ... but get the following problems after installing CP210x VCP Windows drivers.

1] connected USB adapter to the PC & it says it's on COM3

2] open S/port upgrade adapter .. COM 1 displays as not found I change to COM3 and get the same msg.

3] when selecting X8R 150115.frk I get the green led flashing-red solid ... forever!

Cannot see what I'm doing wrong!

Helidel

That's just what I was gong to suggest!

Chris Bott's method works for me:

Connect the USB adapter to the PC and the smart port adapter cable to the USB adapter.

• Run frsky_update_Sport.exe
  • Make sure correct com port is selected.
  • Click File and select the appropriate firmware (.frk file).
  • Click Download

THEN

• Plug the smart port adapter into the receiver.

It will notify you that it has found the receiver and the download will start - takes a couple of minutes. Leave well alone, I have had timeouts while the download is in progress because I have flicked to a background job. The update program seems to need to be in the active window

Martyn

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I''ve just downgraded a X4R sbus in the hope that it would finally bind with my Taranis Plus (RF fw non modified)

It didn't bind on arrival and soon enough I found out the likely cause (EU FW?)

The RX has been flashed with a couple of different non EU FW from frsky, though the red light flashes at binding then on normal operation it flashes as per signal lost, no green led.

I''ve used D16 mode CH 1-16

any help appreciated, thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Well, here we go again, another year, another firmware. Hi guys, HNY.

Thought I'd let you know that I've just updated my Taranis Tx and my X series receivers to EU-LBT. (Does anyone know what LBT stands for?) All went well. I've not tested all my telemetry sensors yet, but a LiPo monitor worked OK so maybe they won't need any updating. I used the same procedure as last year - all items flashed from the computer using the frsky_update_Sport.exe program and leads from computer USB to the Tx or the Rx. I see there are instructions now to flash the Rxs from the Tx, but I didn't try it, the old method worked fine. Done X8, X6 and X4 Rxs, using X8 firmware for the X6.

I've read during the year that some people got range problems with the 2015 EU firmware. Generally I had no problems I noticed, except for one big one when a model stopped responding during an aerobatic contest. Instant expensive kit job. It all seemed to work when I picked up the bits and plugged the electronics in again. So it was either a glitch by the radio or a glitch by the pilot, but I'm convinced it wasn't me, even my caller noticed I was waggling the sticks and getting no response. Let's hope this firmware solves any such problems.

Stuart

Well i have been running the first eu firmware (for internal modual) with out issues, but i have up graded all to the latest LBt EU firmware a few weeks ago and I have had no issues and even with bad (deliberate) placement of RX aerial to check and all is well just as good as before.

As with compatability (because I will get the Horas later this year)I have aslso upgraded to companion 2.17 with no issues other than it's different and you need do things slightly diffentley, all well stated on the opentx site.

For old reciever compatability D8 and long range LR12 just remember in companion setting make shore the eu tick box is not selected before downloading and flashing new firmware.

This will give you D8 and LR12 and d16 do choose from in your taranis model settings.

Also i have just seen on hobbyking new full range rx compatable with frsky acsst and you thought frsky rx were cheep

Posted by flight1 on 27/01/2016 12:12:59:

Also i have just seen on hobbyking new full range rx compatable with frsky acsst and you thought frsky rx were cheep

Bangood sell these & these Frsky Rxs that are probably cheaper or as cheap after P&P is included. I'm pretty sure Bangood also recently sold the one you've linked plus the 8 channel one for around the same prices as HK but inc P&P, however they don't seem to be listed now.

Edited By PatMc on 27/01/2016 14:29:01

To clarify the position on the EU firmware: The ETSI specification allows for two ways of operating at 100mW on 2.4 GHz - "adaptive" and "non-adaptive".

"Non-adaptive" just transmits blindly, without making any attempt to determine if a channel is occupied or not. The theory (and it generally works in practice) is that any collisions that do occur will be so brief as to be imperceptible to the end user. This is how all the early (pre-ETSI-1.8.1) frequency hopping systems worked. However, under ETSI-1.8.1 such systems are limited to a "Media Utilisation Factor" of 10%. In plain English, that means that they can only actually transmit for 10% of the available time. This is how the original FrSky EU firmware worked - and also some other manufacturers. I *think* (but I'm not sure) that this is how the JR DMSS stuff works as well. However, the DMSS system does transmit a much wider bandwidth signal (1 or 2 MHz vs 200 KHz or so for FrSky).

"Adaptive" means that the system will take positive measures to avoid interfering with an existing signal. One way of achieving this is to "Listen Before Transmit" on each hop. If the channel is already occupied, it will skip on to the next channel in sequence. "Adaptive" systems are not constrained by the 10% MUF, though because of the telemetry, there is a practical limit on how long the transmitter can actually transmit - probably around 50%. This is how the LBT firmware works.

Before ETSI-1.8.1 came along, the only system of which I am aware that listened before transmitting was the original DSM-2. However, this only did it at switch on, whereas ETSI-1.8.1 requires a system to *continually* check a channel is clear before transmitting, if it is to qualify as "adaptive".

The advantage of an adaptive system under ETSI-1.8.1 is that the transmitter can transmit for much longer, giving a more robust signal. However, since the whole point of spread spectrum is to provide immunity from interfering signals, it does appear to be a case of regulation for the sake of it, rather than for any practical purpose.

Before ETSI-1.8.1, the only interference cases of which I am aware on 2.4 GHz were caused by people using analogue video transmitters at illegally high powers. ETSI-1.8.1 would appear to only make legitimate user even more susceptible under such circumstances......

--

Pete

Pete, that's as I understood it too, I've seen several comments suggesting the new standard wasn't needed and it's just the EU bureaucrats job creation, is this the case, I always thought these standards were written in consultation with industry so it does seem strange that they would make the standard more difficult to comply with.

Frank, I don't have any inside information on this - only what I've heard on the grapevine, so I can't vouch for its accuracy! I believe that the bulk of the consultation was with major network suppliers - Cisco and the like - with RC very much on the side-lines.

Without wishing to sound like a conspiracy theorist, I did hear a rumour that the major German car manufacturers were trying to build a network covering all the major roads, through which their cars could report back to base any breakdowns or accidents. The plan was to use 2.4 GHz, because its free! They wouldn't need a license, any more than we do. However, they were worried that mere "domestic" users might interfere with their system, hence a request for tighter controls on what was permitted.

I stress that this is all rumour, and I have no hard evidence to back it up. But it does fit in rather neatly with a sudden tightening of the regulations for using 2.4 GHz!

Do I need to buy a tin-foil hat??? wink

--

Pete

Posted by PatMc on 27/01/2016 14:27:14:
Posted by flight1 on 27/01/2016 12:12:59:

Bangood sell these & these Frsky Rxs that are probably cheaper or as cheap after P&P is included. I'm pretty sure Bangood also recently sold the one you've linked plus the 8 channel one for around the same prices as HK but inc P&P, however they don't seem to be listed now.

Edited By PatMc on 27/01/2016 14:29:01

The X4R is only £18, the X8R only £26. Your first link is an older series receiver, the second does not have telemetry and has odd servo connectors. For less than £8 is it a worthwhile saving it considering what the rest of the plane costs?